[LH2942] Synopsis auto-filled text from the documents is not visible in the Outliner

The synopsis auto-filled text from the documents is not visible in the Outliner. It’s visible in the synopsis in the Inspector but not in the Title column in the Outliner.

Is that a bug or intentional?

That’s on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit-SP1 and the Scrivener beta 2.8.0.3 64bit

tnx,
M

If a Title has been added (not auto-generated) then only that Title will appear in the outliner. That is intentional.
If there is no Title, but a Synopsis has been added (not auto-generated) then that will appear only if “and Synopsis” is checked in the Outliner Column menu. If there is no Title and no Synopsis then both should be using the auto-generated text from the contents of the Document. In that case the auto text will appear regardless of whether or not “and Synopsis” is checked. Currently there is an issue where it will not correctly truncate the Title, but either way it should still be showing the auto-generated text.

Any user inputted text should override the auto-generation. So if anything’s been added in either Title or Synopsis, no auto text will show up in Outliner.

Hope that helps.

Your clarification is much appreciated. Thank you.

I found what may be the bug.

If I create a new document and just paste a text inside, without typing anything, it doesn’t auto-fill the synopsis.

If I put the cursor AFTER the just pasted text and start typing - it still doesn’t auto-fill the synopsis.

If I put the cursor BEFORE the just pasted text and hit return - it does auto-fill the synopsis.

Regards,
M

That’s interesting. To save resources it shouldn’t update the Synopsis until the next time the document is loaded. Does it update for you everytime you add text at the beginning of the document, or only when using pasted text?

Also how long is the pasted text? Auto-Synopsis cuts off after 200 characters and only updates when something in those changes, so adding text to the end may not cause an update while adding to the beginning may.

Thank you. Your answer made the issue more clear.

For me, it works like this:

If the text is shorter than 200 characters, and I begin to type wherever, it updates the synopsis everywhere but in the Inspector.

If I paste using ctrl+right mouse btn then select paste from the menu, and the text is longer than 200 characters, it updates everywhere but in the Inspector.

If I paste using ctrl+v, and the text is longer than 200 characters, it doesn’t update the synopsis until I go at the beginning of the text and start typing. Even then the inspector doesn’t update until I switch back and forth between documents.

I hope this made things clearer.

Tnx,
M

Most of that appears to be working as intended, with the exception of the times when it is not correctly creating an auto-synopsis. I believe I have discovered the cause. If you click in the slim grey area to the left or right of the editing page you can move focus to the editor, but pasting text afterwards will not cause the auto-synopsis to be created. This has been filed. Thanks for the great catch!