Positioning header and footer text

Hi!

I’m just working my way through Scrivener v3, and have sorted out most of my teething issues except one: I’m still not able to position my footer and header elements on the page.

In Scrivener v2 I used to do this using the ‘Page Setup’ section of the compiler, selecting a higher or lower ‘Non-Printable Area’ based on where I wanted the page number/title/etc. placed. Except with v3 this doesn’t move the text at all, they’re always too low/too close to the page edge (always about 1cm from the bottom or top of the page).

Does anyone know how I can regain control of this element within v3?

Thanks.

Hi again,

I had checked through the forum and none of the answers apply to me, as the majority wanted to lower the footer text and not place it higher on the page. I mainly produce poetry manuscripts for print (PDF) and so the layouts usually have higher footer and header text in them.

So, if anyone could help me out that would be great! :slight_smile:

Peter

In Scrivener 3, the non-printable area no longer has any effect when you are generating a PDF file (assuming you have selected “PDF” as the format); it’s only used when printing (or using “Save as PDF” in the print panel). This is to avoid issues users were having with header and footer positioning in 2.x, and because PDF files shouldn’t need to worry about the printable area. The header and footer should appear halfway down the top or bottom margin.

If it’s ok to tag onto this thread… thanks for the clarification. I was trying to vertically center the header line and the non-printable setting wasn’t working. Unfortunately, the header is still closer to the top than the text; I’ve attached an image of the printed PDF output. Any other thoughts about how to manually adjust it? Thanks -
IMG_5774.JPG

The header in your image looks fine to me. Font sizes and baselines may make “centre” not entire accurate, but that still looks about right. However, in 3.0.3 there will be a new option that allows you to set header and footer margins manually if you want (in the Compile format), so that you can take full control of the header and footer placement.

All the best,
Keith

OK, good to know–thank you Keith.

I’m looking for the header/foot option in 3.0.3. Trying to locate how to add chapter titles to my pdf and how to use the header/footer. Several days worth of searching. The manual is not helping.

I’m pretty new to Scrivener, but here’s what worked for me: Go to the compile window (File > Compile) and open/edit a specific format, such as a copy of the Paperback format for PDF output, You’ll see “Page Settings” in the list on the left. Click on that and choose “Header and Footer Text” – it’s a tab in the upper middle of the page.

Sections 24.20.5 and 24.20.6 in the manual are helpful for understanding the types of pages (“first pages,” etc.) and the types of information you can include in headers and footers. For example, the <$pageGroupTitle> placeholder tag refers to the title of the current section. Also see Table 24.2.

Thanks, I’ll take a look.

this is the page I get to from Compile…

Yes. From there, double-click on the format you want to use (such as “pdf book”). That will open a window with lots of settings. Alternately, click on the gear/settings icon near the lower left and choose “Edit Format.”

drkirk - I strongly recommend going through the interactive tutorial (Help > Interactive Tutorial). You say that the manual is not helping, by which I assume you just mean that there is a lot in there (as it covers everything), but the interactive tutorial covers how to edit Compile options and is the best way for new users to get familiar with Scrivener.

All the best,
Keith