The Crashers for Copies (or Even Cash!) Thread

Thanks nom (I assume you have the initial ā€œTā€ for your forename as the e-mail I received didnā€™t mention your forum handle).

Unfortunately I couldnā€™t reproduce it still, even following your instructions - I have sent you an e-mail so that you can see if Iā€™m missing anything.

Thanks again and all the best,
Keith

I think this is regarding special prize 2. In any case itā€™s about this bug: [url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/i-can-write-but-no-text-is-displayed/11007/1]

Youā€™ll get a PM with links to the project file I used to reproduce the error in a minute.

Running version 2.0.4 on 10.6.6 Intel.

1 Click on Test folder.
2 Click on ā€˜Addā€™ to add document, name it ā€˜Crashā€™
3 Write text in document: ā€˜This is a test.ā€™
4 Right-click document ā€˜Crashā€™ and choose ā€˜Convert to Folderā€™
5 Expand folder ā€˜Crashā€™
6 Click on ā€˜Addā€™ to add subdocument, name it ā€˜subā€™
7 Click on folder ā€˜Crashā€™
8 Click on Group Mode ā€˜Scriveningsā€™ (if itā€™s not in composite view already)
9 Use mouse to highlight ā€˜This is a test.ā€™
10 Hit Cmd-X
11 Click into ā€˜subā€™ document, while staying in the same view
12 Hit Cmd-V
13 ā€˜This is a test.ā€™ does not appear in document ā€˜subā€™ (at least on my machine, and I tried a dozen times)

Cheers

P.S.: Is it just me or is there a problem with the ordered list feature in this forum?

Hi mitohund,

Iā€™m afraid to say that I think nom has beaten you to this one (he claimed it in his post up-thread), and I believe Iā€™ve fixed it. Please try downloading the latest beta from here:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-2-x-update-betas-download-here/11262/1

This should fix the issue, but let me know if not. I spent a lot of this week on this bug, so you only just missed claiming it by a whisker, sorry! (I havenā€™t wiped no. 2 from the list yet as Iā€™m not 100% sure they are exactly the same bug, although they look very much like it.)

Many thanks and all the best,
Keith

This may be cheating :wink:

But Iā€™m 99% sure Lion DP4 broke Scrivener. Whenever I import any PDFs (or open existing documents, apart from templates), it bails:
pastebin.com/Yxvn75us

Fine on my MBP (DP3)ā€¦

Ouch - thanks for bringing this one to my attention. This one isnā€™t a Scrivener bug, though (unfortunately) - itā€™s a Lion bug. It seems DP4 has introduced a very nasty over-release bug into PDFDocument. Iā€™ve reported it to Apple, with everything they need to reproduce it (it is very easy to reproduce in just a few lines of code in a test app), under bug ID # 9601466.

With a bit of luck theyā€™ll fix it for DP5 - they are very actively fixing bugs at the moment. Iā€™m not going to look into a workaround until closer to release, because if they fix this and I have introduced a workaround, we could end up with a nasty memory leak.

Does this mean I get a free Mac? (kidding :wink: )

Ha, yes, tell Apple you found a bug so want a refund for your Mac! :slight_smile: (Although given the number of Lion bugs Iā€™ve found and reported in the past few weeks myself, I would have enough Macs to stock a decent-sized office if they offered a deal like thisā€¦)

This is fixed in DP5.

I was just about to post to say the same thing. Thanks whichever Apple engineer fixed this!

I seem to have a way of reproducing the memory leak crash, though it involves opening a small part of a large scriv document that I canā€™t post here. Iā€™ll happily pass this on to Lit&Lat if they want to help sort this bug out that got me seriously scared this evening - I donā€™t want my novel first draft to have bits of it that crash scrivener when you try to edit them!

Contact me by email and Iā€™ll pass the scrivener file along as well as instructions on how to repeat the crash.

Dave

Iā€™m probably the least technical person here, and even trying to read through all the posts my head is spinning. So please forgive me if youā€™ve already addressed my particular bug. My Scrivener is crashing even before it opens, and here is the report:

Process: Scrivener [4816]
Path: /Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener
Identifier: com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [91]

Interval Since Last Report: 14385 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 9
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 0 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 5

Date/Time: 2011-09-14 08:48:02.286 -0700
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version: 6
Anonymous UUID: D00408C1-D655-4235-A5FB-6AEF0576201C

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @executable_path/ā€¦/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Sparkle
Referenced from: /Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener
Reason: image not found

Iā€™d so appreciate some direction ā€¦ I have a book deadline and need everything Iā€™ve saved in Scrivener.
Thanks!
Shannon

Hi Shannon,

From the crash report, this looks as though it is just a bad install. Please try downloading Scrivener again and reinstalling it (delete it from your Applications folder first, then just install it fresh). This wonā€™t affect any of your projects, and should get you back up and running - if not, though, let us know.

All the best,
Keith

Here I go sounding naive again ā€¦ but if I delete it first, wonā€™t it delete my projects also? Or are those stored somewhere else in the meantime?

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Your projects are stored elsewhere, so trashing the application wonā€™t affect them. :slight_smile:

Got it to work ā€¦ thanks so much!

I think Iā€™ve found one.
(P.s. This is my first post - and Iā€™ve still got 19 days of my free trial left)

1. Open a new Scrivener Novel project.
  2. Find a website with a java applet in it.
    Iā€™ve tried it with a few sites now, but ā€œhttp://www.schubart.net/rc/ā€ works just fine.
  3. Right click on Research, and select Addā€¦Web Page.
  4. Add the webpage you found with a java applet
  5. Click in the applet, and use it for a second or two.
  6. Click on Novel Format, or Characters, or most other parts of the Binder ----> CRASH!!

This also seems freeze up the crash reporter once Scrivener is reopened.

Love the program - if I donā€™t win a copy with the bug, Iā€™ll probably buy it anyway when my trial is up.

Tested using Scrivener 2.2, and Beta version 2.2.0.5, on Mac OS 10.6.8, iMac 2.8 GHz i7, 4GB RAM
Any other info required?

Hi,

Thanks for this. Looking at it and searching on it, it seems that this is a WebKit bug rather than a Scrivener bug, but hopefully Iā€™ll be able to find a workaround. Either way, I didnā€™t know about the crash and I can reproduce it, so you certainly qualify for a free copy - Iā€™ll PM you with the details.

Thanks!
Keith

Thank you!

Hope the bug report is helpful, and allows you to prevent further crashes in the future.

Thank again - off to do some writing :slight_smile:

Hi,

I didnā€™t know If you already know about this crash (probably you do), but when I use a dictionary in scrivener and switch to the dashboard (the screen with all the widgets) and use the dictionary there scrivener crashes.

1. Use the dictionary to search a word
  2. Use the trackpad or F4 to go to the dashboard
  3. Use the dictionary there (and there or just before that scrivener crashes).

Iā€™m using scrivener 2.2, with Lion 10.7.3

Greets,
Don

Hi Don,

I canā€™t reproduce that one, Iā€™m afraid, although on some systems the popover dictionary is known to be a little flaky (in general). Could you please send your crash report (or let me know if youā€™ve already sent an automatic one so I can hunt it out)?

Thanks and all the best,
Keith