How to use auto headers for academic paper

Sorry I’m probably using the wrong terminology, but I am completely lost. I am doing an academic paper, and it says things like {$class_name} or something like that (as well as a few other things that look like placeholders) on the title page. I cleared that out and wrote my information in there, but when I compile it (in this case, to PDF), it populates the headers with generic ? (YourStudentID) / SupervisorSurname / Mar 8, 2018 ... 1 . Clearly, there’s an awesome feature I don’t know how to use, and it’s making my paper look bad.

Two-ish questions:

1. How do I get rid of the header until I can undo my mess?
  2. How do I take advantage of this cool feature (I have a lot more papers to write)? (And what is the feature called?)

Cheers

Are you using a custom template provided by your university or something? The stuff you are describing isn’t familiar to me, but I haven’t gone through each and every template we ship in the software to verify.

That aside, it would also help to know whether you are using Scrivener 2 or 3.

Hi,

I believe you are using the “Undergraduate Humanities Essay” template. In the project created from that template, please look through the “About” document at the top of the binder - this provide instructions on how to use the template. You will notice that under “Compiling” in that document, it provides instructions for modifying the “Replacements” pane of Compile to replace {StudentID} and {SupervisorSurname} with something meaningful. If you follow the instructions provided there, you should be good.

You can delete the header or modify it manually by Ctrl-clicking on “Undergraduate Essay” in the list of Formats in the Compile panel, choosing “Edit Format…”, and then editing the headers and footers in “Page Settings”.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith