Frustrating error re: Backups

Hey all

I’m using Scrivener 3 for Mac on the latest version of High Sierra. When I moved from Scrivener 2 to Scrivener 3, it created backups of my old files in Dropbox.

Now, whenever I open my file, I get an ominous warning that my file is in my backup folder and it will destroy my work. So I created a backups folder, moved all the backups into it, and when I STILL got the error, I moved the backups folder to my desktop, away from dropbox.

I STILL get the message every time I open my work. STILL. Why? How do I tell Scrivener that the recommended folder IT wants for work on Dropbox is NOT A BACKUP FOLDER???

I want to get rid of this error and I want to get rid of the problems this error indicates could happen. How in the heck do I do that???

Have you changed the location of new backups in the Scrivener settings, under Preferences?

Hi - I had the same problem, and I think I’ve figured it out. Scrivener saves two sets of files: project files (i.e., the ones that you open when you’re writing) and backup files. We’re getting the error because we put our backup files into DropBox, and that’s something that the Literature and Latte folks advise against (presumably because synching errors could corrupt our backups).

The solution is restore your backup path to the default but save your projects in DropBox. I made this change and I no longer get the annoying error message. See this article for details about how to do it: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11725.

Good luck and happy writing!

I have this problem as well and changed where the backup files are sent (File/Back Up/Back Up To…) and I’m STILL having backups created in dropbox instead of the redirected file I created on my hard drive? Anyone have any advice?

EDIT: of course I figure it out right after I post :slight_smile: For others who may be struggling, as someone mentioned above, you need to go Scrivener/Preferences/Backup and update there.

Folks, this is all in the manual.

Read chapter 5 “All About Projects”. It’s got a very important section on backups that may save your a$$ someday.