v3.0.1 Cmd-S saves all open projects rather than current.project

Back in v2 when multiple projects were open Cmd-S would only save the current project (that is the one that had input focus). In v3 Cmd-S saves all open projects. This becomes tedious when the folder these projects are stored in is Dropbox. Causes sync with iOS to take forever as all these projects need to be checked for changes even thought only that current one was changed. Either the menu text for File > Save needs to be changed to File >Save All or a new menu item for File > Save Current should be introduced (and a new short cut added) or both those changes are needed.

File > Save / Cmd-S still only saves the current project; no change has occurred between Scrivener 2 and Scrivener 3 in this regard. There is no way for Cmd-S to trigger a save on all projects because it is just using macOS architecture which invokes “saveDocument:” on the frontmost project window, triggering Scrivener to save only the current project. So I’m not quite sure what you are seeing, I’m afraid.

Do you have Scrivener set up to create a backup on each manual save? If backups are going to Dropbox, that would also cause a lot of Dropbox activity.

Background projects probably aren’t the cause, as they would have autosaved any changes shortly after going idle.

Just to be clear, are you seeing slow synchronization between the Mac and Dropbox, or between Dropbox and iOS?

Katherine

I’ve no idea what is going then. I don’t have backups going to Dropbox. Only the projects are there. But whether it is Cmd-S or something else regularly the open projects are marked (by the iOS app) as needing to sync even when I have not changed them. One but only one of the five had its external backup directory as Dropbox (now cleared) but the other four did not and do not. Even then I fail to see why an open project that has not been “dirtied” would need to be marked for syncing.

Syncing between iOS and Dropbox is glacially slow. It was relatively fast before the upgrade to macOS Scrivener 3 and the pre-requisite upgrade to macOS 10.13 or 10.12.

Reep, have you checked to see if your dropbox install was up to date? I had issues with dropbox being slow post OSX upgrade (including several patches). It wasn’t until I used the check update in the DB menu that it indicated a new version was needed. Upgrading DB version fixed it for me.

Upgrade (or maybe re-installed the latest it is hard to tell) Dropbox on macOS. Afterwards last updated timestamp did not change. Two minutes ago task-switched to Scrivener and oh look there all five of the open proejcts got a free updated timestamp. Hadn’t typed anything into any of them; switch from current top window to another window bringing that project forward.