Mechanical, Dongle-free Bluetooth Keyboard?

I’ve almost entirely migrated to using Scrivener on my iPad Pro - this was at one time an experiment, and is now a necessity as my MacBook Air is dying and I cannot afford anything like the new sterling-devalued prices.

So far I am surprised not to feel more of a loss - indeed in some ways I prefer the iOS way - but there is just one thing I really do miss. I am using the new Apple Magic keyboard, which is fine, BUT I really would like more of the tactility and noise of my old Blue-switch mechanical keyboard.

I know that there are some mechanical keyboards which support Bluetooth, but they all seem to require a USB dongle in the receiving machine - not possible with an iPad of course.

So is there such a beast out there? Or is the title of this post an incompatible mix of predicates (like something else happing in the UK at the moment)?

Ta.

When you write “mechanical”, Dr D, do you mean “really mechanical” (i.e. butterfly switches etc), or just “not on glass”? The reason I ask is that I have paired my iPad Pro with a Brydge. The Brydge is mechanical in the way that many keyboards are now mechanical, so perhaps it wouldn’t satisfy you. But not only does the Brydge not need a dongle, it also seems less liable to skip letters than some (a problem for certain BT keyboards with the iPad Pro - see another recent thread in this forum), and it’s reasonably comfortable to type on. But it’s not cheap.

P.S. I really, really like “an incompatible mix of predicates”, having spent some weeks of my life in South Armagh…

Hello Hugh - thanks for this, but I’m afraid I really do mean mechanical: I have a keyboard here with Cherry MX Blue switches and it is a dream to write with. I spoke to Apple this morning and they told me (helpfully) that there was a time when a USB keyboard would work using a lightning adptor, but they changed the power pins recently, so no more.

I have the Apple Magic, and that’s not at all bad - in fact I prefer it to the keyboard on my failing MBA - so maybe I just need to stop dreaming and compromise (why does everything today sound like British politics)? :smiley:

I didn’t know this no longer worked using a lightning adptor. Apple needs to stop messing around with stuff. You can never rely on anything to work any more.

thewirecutter.com/reviews/our-f … keyboards/

Unfortunately, they don’t recommend the only two BT boards on the list. For now, I guess adapters are required.
I’m still happy with Apple ‘s old Wireless Keyboard with my iPad Pro , which I’m told many prefer to its Magical, lower travel successor. i think you can still find em on Amazon, but they’re not mechanical.

I’m a big fan of Matias, and have this keyboard, which will pair to an iOS device without a dongle:

matias.ca/laptoppro/mac/

It’s not quite as satisfying as the louder mechanical keyboards (I also have the tactile pro, which I love), but it’s a site better than the rubber-dome keyboard I have at work. The battery in it lasts forever. I’m kind of a light user of it, but for the first year of ownership, I never bothered to charge it, and only decided to do so because I was taking it on a trip, and didn’t want to keep up with yet another cord.

mechtype.com/top-5-wireless … keyboards/

Qwerkywriter Typewriter Wireless Mechanical Keyboard with Integrated Tablet Stand amazon.com/dp/B01KM6EJOY/re … SAbGST27C8

I’ve ordered a keyboard called Four Season, but I’ve not yet received it. It’s a kickstarter-type project, so consider the risks.

lofree.co/products/lofree-f … l-keyboard

Paolo

After a bit of use of the Four Seasons: while it is really nice from an aesthetic point of view, I also find it is not very comfortable to write on. It is totally flat, and the keys on the top rows are hard to reach.and the regular grid the keys are placed on makes typing not really “natural”. So, I don’t suggest it to others.

Paolo

I wish I could justify spending the money on this…

I love it… both that it’s a mechanical keyboard and that it emulates a typewriter… of which I own two, including this beauty (not my actual one, but it is this model) that I have dreams of one day finding someone who can repair it and make it functional again (it was my grandmother’s).

Underwood.jpg