Novel-in-a-Day 3: With a Vengeance

Is it really that time of year again? Novel-in-a-Day was great fun last time, and much less scary than I thought it would be. Definitely count me in, please.

I’ve already told Mrs Nom: I’m in.

[size=50]And yes, she gave permission.[/size]

Already? Count me in.

Hi Pigfender. much as i’d love to be in again, i think i’m going to have to cede my place to someone else. my left hand is out of action in strapping and a splint for the next month at least, and i don’t relish trying to type 1500+ words, pecking with one hand – i’m not a pigeon!

But i’ll greatly look forward to reading the result.

Mr X

Sorry to hear that, Mr X. Hope it’s not giving you too much discomfort.

Thanks to everyone that’s signed up. Already up to 8!
[size=60]Thanks also to Mrs Nom for the generous loan of her husband.[/size]

One of the things I’m doing this year to reduce some of the stress is I’m going to let the story dictate the number of participants, rather than write the story to meet the final numbers. I’ll work out the exact number over the next fortnight, but I expect we will be switching to ‘reserve places’ after 25 people.

Yay!

I don’t know what you did to fix it, but thanks! Taking full advantage!
:smiley:

I shall be there with all manner of jangly things on.

Ooh, ooh, me! Please, sir! Madame? Me?

Yeah, count me in again, been fun each time… even if my chapter has ended up next to Bywater’s each time just so he can show me up. Meh, let it continue, I can take him this year!

If we do get emergencies on the list, there is a very small chance I may have to pull out due to the Aeon Timeline release for Windows (aiming for early October)… but if emergencies don’t arrive, I’ll do it regardless.

Matt

PS - By the way, if you want a different way to disseminate plot information, the Windows version of Aeon should be released by then, or at least in a very advanced beta - so I can throw you a copy so you can create and distribute a timeline as well. It all depends how closely you want to follow the trend of not knowing what comes before or after.

This year, Matt, I’ve decided to go with an “alternative ending” approach where you and Michael have exactly the same brief. That’s cool, right? :wink:

I’ve actually been playing with Aeon to make a timeline of the 2011 NiaD plot. I have to say, I’ve been very impressed with the program! It certainly would have made planning the story of The Dark (given that many of the events unfold in flashback) a LOT easier. I’ll share it with you when I’m done, if you like.

I’m still looking into what background info to share (for anyone new to the process, I still only have a two paragraph outline of the plot at this stage), but the story might well lend itself to having some useful timelines provided in support.

ChiaLynn, hi and welcome. Congratulations on being the first rookie signing of 2013!

Rollerdiva, pleasure as always!

As long as his is the cliched ending that kills off the main character in a car crash, conveniently disposing of every loose end and moral ambiguity in the process, or the other old favorite:

“And then Susan woke up. It had all been a terrible dream.”

Go on, make him stretch that last one into 1500 words!

Matt

Mrs Nom says, “You’re welcome”, but has also made it clear that henceforth she is to be known as Madam Nom-Deploom.

I would LOVE to participate again! Am I on time? Say yes, please!

Last year was incredibly satisfying and fun, I’d hate to miss it.

DAMMIT, there’s two endings I can’t use anymore! :smiley:

He’d probably have a go.

Yup, you are on time! Although, we’ve half filled the spots up and only been open for business for short while.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. I’m hoping to be in a better mood this year.

To tell you the truth, I’d be quite ready and willing to be the cause of your torture and bad moods again because it was so much fun. I’d feel guilty about it, but briefly.

'Cause that’s writing for you: a world full of cruelty and pain. For some.

(And I’m in! YAY!)

Out of curiosity, how many people do you need?

Haha.
(Friends can be such a mixed blessing.)

Good question. I don’t know exactly yet. The last two times I’ve sliced up the plot to fit the number of participants which has just happened to be 25 each time.

This time I’m doing it slightly little differently: I’m going to take the plot and divide it into sections first, and then fit the number of participants around that. I expect it to be roughly the same, somewhere in the 24-30 region. If we end up with too many participants, the last few to sign up will miss out, unfortunately. If we have too few participants, I’ll either combine a couple of chapters together or aggressively pursue extra contributors. I’m really not expecting this to be the problem, though!

In other words, to be confident of being in, you should make sure you are in the first 24 spots. After that, I’ll be adding people to the ‘reservelist’ instead if the ‘inlist’, in order of sign-up instead of alphabetical.

I’d love to offer to join in, but circumstances are against me ;(

Hi, I just arrive here by accident but I’d love to participate on it. I’m from Spain and I’ m scared of not to have a perfect english, may this be a problem? Thank you.

I am not a native speaker either; if the additional editing is something that can be dealt with, I’d like to reserve a spot. :slight_smile:

Fred

I’m all in. Oh, sorry, wrong game. Yes, I’d like to participate again this year.