Welcome to our new team member - our iOS developer

We have private group of beta-testers that we’ll be using when the time comes around. We recruit users from the forums and other social network areas based on their past bug reports and helpful contributions, so it’s invite-only for now, to keep things manageable. We have enough testers on the list at the moment, but when the time comes we may well need a few more, in which case we’ll contact people or put something on the forums.

Thanks for your interest!

All the best,
Keith

Yes. This could be financed by the development.

I’m convinced Literature & Latte uses the Apple Management Dictionary. That is to say, “first quarter” means March 31st. At 10pm. Hawaii time.

We us it to mean “random guess, that’s our hope, but it will take as long as it takes to get it right.” :slight_smile:

Welcome.

And I am really looking forward to the iOS version.

I use Scrivener for designing role-playing games. I would like to be able to use my iPad to do this as well. Unfortunately Scrivener is such a good tool that I find it difficult to use the iPad now. :slight_smile:

You have developed such a good tool that I feel I need it everywhere now.

Thanks for the kind words! I hope the iPad version lives up to your expectations - I think it’s shaping up nicely. :slight_smile:

Can’t wait! Scrivener is so useful for academic writing (and let’s be honest, the syncing workarounds are fiddly) that I need carry my MacBook around all the time. Come on folks, there are excellent word processors for iPad such as UX Write – don’t fall behind!

Scrivener for iPad will not be a full-featured word processor like UX Write, but will do what Scrivener does best.

^ Of course. My plan is to do the writing on Scrivener, export in HTML, and then do the cosmetic stuff on UX Write before submission/sharing. Really can’t wait.

Hello,

I am new here and only recently started to consider writing. I am a CG Artist and a teacher at a university. I’ve had scriptsand ideas in my head forever. After asking around for suggestions regarding iPad-friendly software, I came accross Scrivener.

It looked pretty amazing, soi grabbed the windows trial. (BTW testinga clamcase on my iPad now…lots of typoes…apoogies in advance lol). I do not have a Mac PC, but use my iOS devices a lot. First thing i noticed was that the sync funtionality featuredinthe tutorial video was missing. It wasthen I realized the large versioning disparity betweenyour mac and windows app.

Then i read this thread and plotzed a little. The idea ofhaving Scrivener on the iPad is promising! So if i my ask a few questions?

The most obvious question: how is development coming along? Whats your gut, OFF the record timeline based on the development expeirence you’ve had thus far? I ask this from the perspective of someone who has developed Apps before, usually the UI and Art. what is smooth sailing are rough seas?

Development is always such an iterative process and I do love talking wih others about the various battles waged to bring an app to life. Its always harder when its a port of something that already exists. Precedence has been set and expectations exist.

To that point, Some of the previous posts in this thread mention that the writing components may not be as robust as some other iPAd apps. So, my next question is how do you guys envision iPad users will employ Scrivener into their workflow. Do you see us writing in quickoffice or pages and importing those documents into scrivener for organization and project management? How easily will the work from iScriv import to the PC/Mac versions for final manuscript compiling, or will the iPad version be able to handle that?

Forgive me for asking so many questions on my first post, just really looking forward to this project. I have a project that I wish to start soon and was swondering if I should wait a bit for your App to publish or if it will be a while. I am on the go a lot so I really have to write on the iPad. Really excited about this app.

Guess no ones talking to the new guy lol

Hey Spankybus. Welcome to the fourm!

I’m not an official person. Well, I’m a person and everything. I’m not a figment of your imagination. I just mean I have no official standing here.

I’ll have a go at answering your Qs though… albeit somewhat vaguely:

• Development is “progressing nicely” apparently. The development timeline is what it is. LnL doesn’t tend to post release dates until they know exactly when it’s going to be ready. Given the reality of developing and testing software, they probably won’t know exactly when it’s ready until it’s already finished and released. They have previously stated “2013” as the release window, but the bottom line is that they won’t release it until they’ve gotten it to be as good as they can!

• My understanding was that the aim for the iOS version was for it to be able to be used as a standalone version of Scrivener. That is to say that, whilst it won’t have the full functionality of the desktop versions by a long shot, you won’t require a Mac or PC version to use it (although they will play very nicely together). Also that means you won’t need any other iOS software on your iPad. You will be able to organise your project, write and edit documents, and do all that within the iOS program.

• I’d personal recommend you get stared with your project! Get going as soon as you can. You can always convert it to iScriv later once it’s been released.

Will iScriv (Scrivener for iOS!) work with SyncDocs? I am using SyncDocs with Notebooks and it works nicely, even though it’s not a fully functional sync (if you delete a file only in one place, it’ll get synced back; not sure this is primarily a Notebooks issue or a SyncDocs issue)

EDIT: nvm SyncDocs, I just learned hasn’t been developed for more than two years, clearly not going anywhere. What I find appealing about the idea of SyncDocs, is that when one’s needs are simply to sync one’s files across one’s multiple devices, a cloud service seems an unnecessary step (and potentially raising security/privacy concerns). Perhaps L&L should develop SyncScriv? OK I am kidding, I know you guys are already quite busy :slight_smile:

Greetings Scriveneers!

I’m new to the forums, but not new to OS X, iOS, & OPP (the latter is for our “ebonics” audience).

I just wanted to say thank you Jen for making me stoked for iOS Scrivener, and thank you Kevin for keeping this thread going to whet our appetites. Of course, if you need a seasoned iOS Beta Tester, I’m all ears (and fingers).

Keep up the great work!

Personally I envisage starting my projects off in Scrivener for OSX and then syncing to my iPad for working on the move. I’ve been using Scrivener since 2007 and don’t use a word-processor at all any more, except for checking my publishers’ copyedits. Why would you, when Scriv is a perfect writing environment all by itself? :slight_smile:

At the moment I use Notebooks and Dropbox to sync my iPad with Scrivener, but it’s not perfect because you can only sync as plain text (and AFAIK it’s Mac-only).

I wouldn’t wait if I were you. There’s no guarantee the app will be out this year - though I very much hope it is, as I have a new project waiting in the wings. It would be so cool to have it in time for NaNoWriMo!

I will use Scrivener + Dropbox for text editing and writing new chapters. I’m very important! I can not wait for the Scrivener for iPad… :frowning:

Why are you very important?

I write in the road.

[attachment=0]untitled.jpg[/attachment]
untitled.jpg

Foxy, Prohorenkov is very special, because his posts don’t even register. So far, his number of post shows 0
Weird or wot?
vic