Scapple for Mac - Beta Testing Has Begun!

Hi Lord Lightning,

I do understand the difference between QuickReference and QuickLook being a function of Scrivener and OSX respectively. My system is not allowing me to see previews of Scapple files as it does with other files. And because Scrivener uses QuickLook for the user to see the entire map file, mine just shows a generic piece of paper. The plugin is not working correctly.

Keith,

Any other ideas how I can get OSX to recognize the Scapple QuickLook plugin?

I found this searching Google for “Quick Look” doesn’t work. This this will reset your Finder and Quick Look preferences:

(sigh) Nope. Neither worked. It’s interesting: QL works for all other files my system recognizes such as .txt, .rtf, etc., it’s the .scap files that are not recognized. grr…

I wonder if just doing a preferences clean up on the scap files would let Quick Look see them. Check that the scap files are indeed open to you and even the administrator.

Just out of curiosity try EXPORTing the files. I tried export to my desktop as an OPML for this exercise and found that I had to change the file preferences after doing a Get Info on the file to examine the preferences.

Maybe go to Utilites and then Disk Utility and run Repair Permissions - that will reset the Apple Quick Look permissions.

Well, it’s worth a try.

What did you change? What app do you use to open your opml files?

I’ve ran disk utility dozens of times. No avail. FYI, I cannot QuickLook .opml files either.

I should mention that I once did have a mindmapping software called Xmind; also Mindnode. But I’ve since uninstalled them. I wonder if something has been deleted at the system level?

Scrivener or Omni Outline Pro or Tree or my big research depository on Devonthink Pro.

You say you have run Disk Utility - I guess that means you have updated the permissions on the disk that has the scapple files on it. But you did not say whether you had done a Get Info on any of the actual Scapple files to examine and eyeball the preferences settings for those particular files.

The reason I am suggesting this is that you are saying that Quick Look is behaving with all BUT the Scapple files. Since, that would indicate a problem with ONLY those files then logically Occam’s razor says try the most obvious things first - and that has to include the permission settings for the problem files.

Ah, okay, it turns out that the Quick Look and Spotlight plugins were set to link against the 10.8 libraries only, which means they won’t work on earlier systems. I’ve changed this for the next beta, so don’t worry about it in the meantime; it will start working when the next beta is ready sometime next week.

Great, thanks Keith. Cannot wait!!! Haven’t made the plunge into Mountain lion yet.

You aren’t missing much. :slight_smile: Just a Quick Look plugin.

Ha! Thanks, Amber (for the help as well). Mountain Lion just wasn’t compelling enough for me upgrading yet. Of course I will, but not for a little while.

Is this a recent change?

“System Requirements
Scapple requires an Intel Mac running OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or above.”

No, that’s me mixing up big cat names after a long day. :slight_smile: Scapple does indeed run on Snow Leopard and above, not Lion and above.

Good! I’m happy that you are not joining the unfortunately growing trend of dropping support for anything prior to Lion. Thanks.

This is certainly what I have been looking for, as mindmapping software is too prescriptive. I’d pay $10 for it from the App Store.

One useful improvement would be to enable changes to the connector styles using the inspector/contextual menu, in the same way you can change text boxes. It’s OK to do it by drag and drop but keyboard shortcuts isn’t how I normally like to work.

A few more text box shapes would also be handy - particularly a circle and an ellipse.

And, of course, an iPad/iPhone version would be brilliant. I tend to make notes on those rather than the Mac these days, then use Scrivener to flesh them out. That’ll be for another day, though, I assume.

At the moment, each note dragged and dropped into Scrivener creates a separate index card on the corkboard (at least when I tried it). As the idea of Scapple is partly to link ideas, it would be good to have the option of selecting a group of notes on a Scapple worksheet and have them all appear on the same index card instead of each having an individual card.

If you want to do that, the easiest way would be to copy the notes in Scapple, make a new binder item in Scrivener and paste into the text editor. That is actually the main way to get data out of Scapple. The ability to drag in individual notes and have them remain individual things in Scrivener was really just meant to be a nice thing on top of that, since otherwise it would be extra work to split things apart.

Hi,

I installed Scapple, created a file, but now I can’t find it on my system. Intriguing. Reinstalled it today to no avail.I use Lion. Please help.

Thanks.

Jeco