Lord of The Rings

No
Novatlan

Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:28 am Post

You don't have to learn Elvish per se, but it certainly helps :) One of my professors at university is fluent in Sindarin - weird^^
For me, LOTR is in its own league. It is not my favourite book, because that would be unjust to other books - there simply is no comparison. I'm not that old (22), so my first real contact with the books was when the films came out. I did read LOTR and Hobbit before, but only once or twice. After films... oh my god. I now own all books by Tolkien in German and most of the English ones (there are FAR more English books than German) plus a number of secondary literature ranging from maps to envish dictionaries.
I think you mustn't see LOTR as an adventure book. If you think about it it has a sad ending. Ok, Sauron kicks the bucket, but a which price? The "cool guys" are all gone - I mean hontestly, those Elvish dolks are just incredibly great, and now they are gone.
If you keep in mind that Sauron is just a tiny, tiny servant of Melkor, the real BAD GUY, and consider the difficulty of removing him for the people of the third age, you see pretty clearly that LOTR has no happy ending. Not at all.
Mm, I gotta go to university, maybe I'll write a bit more later :)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:59 pm Post

I'd type out my response in Entish, but I fear it would explode the data limitations of the forum database.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ex
exegete77
Platform: Mac

Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:23 pm Post

I had never read The Hobbit or LOTR (this was being published for the very first time when I was starting school). And we never heard about it or read it in school.

So my introduction was the movies. About two years ago I finally read the Hobbit. I had to remind myself not to compare with the movie. I enjoyed it, but it really isn't my style (I seldom read fantasy).

Re
ReadCentral
Platform: Windows

Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:19 pm Post

hiii
the story of this book was revolving around the historical event occurred in North-west middle east
Regards,
ReadCentral.com Lovers:)

xiamenese

Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:02 am Post

ReadCentral wrote:hiii
the story of this book was revolving around the historical event occurred in North-west middle east

Absolutely not ... For Tolkien this was recreating a mythology for England as we had lost ours ... how many English people these days know anything about Gog and Magog, Queen Mab, etc.? He was an Anglo-Saxon scholar and philologist, whose roots for his languages were Welsh and Finnish as well as Anglo-Saxon.

Though there are those who link his oeuvre to that of Lord Dunsany, Time and the Gods, etc., I can't see it. As a devout Catholic, it is not in any way surprising that his universe starts from a creation myth involving a single godhead, creating what resemble archangels and angels and then the world. There is a parallel in Morgoth, to the Lucifer story too. But Tolkien explicitly said that his work was not religious literature, even though the Catholic Church likes to claim that the first in a revival of the Catholic novel.

The Middle-East has nothing to do with it at all!

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Re
ReadCentral

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:58 am Post

ok mark thanks for the knowledge
Regards,
ReadCentral.com Lovers:)

Wock

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:50 pm Post

I wonder if Tolken had a midget fetish.
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

Fluff

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:25 pm Post

Winged wassack wrote:I wonder if Tolken had a midget fetish.
I was going to ask,"What on earth makes you think that?" But then I realised what a stupid question it was. :(
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:40 am Post

I recently viewed the Peter Jackson films again, for the umpteenth time. After a decade, they really hold up. The language, the scenery, the acting and cutting are all exemplary. Rarely in our age of dross do we see high romanticism paired with gross realism, especially in the battle scenes and Orc makeup. (My favorite is general Gothmog; his face resembles a scarred oak, its bark growing over an old wound.) http://tinyurl.com/4c96swy

In the extended DVD version, the last disc reveals how Jackson's company used New Zealand landscapes to create Middle Earth, and how the writers adapted Tolkien to suit movie narration. They cut chapters, built up characters and story lines, and even rearranged chapters for brevity or clarity. Their prose also improves on Tolkien, who can be wordy and awkward at times. Yet they are fair to his vision and do much to preserve his legacy as a writer of rare distinction. The story of his troubles in getting published and reviewed is a lesson to us all: never despair, if there's a W. H. Auden around. http://tinyurl.com/6xcg8f3

On a trip to NZ a few years ago, I lectured on the books/films, mainly focusing on history and landscape. My conclusions, not very original, is that the series is a brilliant allegory about the rise of fascism during the interval of WW I & II, and that Middle Earth is the UK....but inverted, with Scotland in the south. Off to the west is Arnor, a region shaped like the British isles, with the Shire in the approximate location of Cornwall. See the map at http://bigthink.com/ideas/21172

An
AndreasE

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:00 am Post

Wock wrote:I know it was ground breaking for its time but I re-read it not to long ago and I set them down with a sadness.

I didn't find the writing nor the story really that "AMAZING" but rather mediocre and blandly told.

You should read the Klingonian original.

Or, wait … am I confusing something now? :shock:

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:29 pm Post

druid wrote:. (My favorite is general Gothmog; hi
Now why does it come as no surprise, that you're a lover of, and expert on, the likes of feckin orcs'n'balrogs!! Jeezzz!! tch!tch!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:31 pm Post

vic-k wrote:Now why does it come as no surprise, that you're a lover of, and expert on, the likes of feckin orcs'n'balrogs!! Jeezzz!! tch!tch!

Fool of a Took! :lol:

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:35 pm Post

Listen, you old pseudo thaumaturge, y're teetering on the edge of the Abyss here. Even Sauron avoided screwing around with, The Supreme Grand Master of the Ancient and Noble Order of Hairy Arsed Welders of Condor. Watch it pal!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Fluff

Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:01 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:it is not in any way surprising that his universe starts from a creation myth involving a single godhead,

Mr Mark & MS/Mr ReadCentral, perhaps this may be of use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yyEz_cR ... re=related
Take care,
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

xiamenese

Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:32 am Post

Fluff wrote:
xiamenese wrote:it is not in any way surprising that his universe starts from a creation myth involving a single godhead,

Mr Mark & MS/Mr ReadCentral, perhaps this may be of use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yyEz_cR ... re=related
Take care,
Fluff

I rather think, dear Fluff — may your fur be ever more luxurious! — that henceforth we would be wise to ignore Ms/Mr ReadCentral. And when it comes my poor self, being here in the Land of the Great Firewall means that such delights are not available to this insignificant being.

With every respect.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …