Summer reading

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:18 pm Post

ptram wrote: very slowly - reading a book about the Panathenaea, held in Athens

Paolo!! Why the hell are y' reading about sweaty, gasping Athenians, when the temperature is 40°C.

You should be reading something like this:
http://cookingequipment.about.com/od/co ... ateice.htm

Vic :wink:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ptram
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:37 pm Post

Vic, that is an area where I favour practice over theory!

Paolo

Foxtrot

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:52 pm Post

[quote="Fluff"
We feel, that the apparent ability of both your good self, and Master/Mistress Briar Kit Esme, to read each other's minds; to know what the other is, and will be thinking, forms the link between you and Wessex.. [/quote]

I would suggest that an actual reading of the book would clarify the comments. The request from me was largely rhetorical, and the response (albeit to a rhetorical question) was very much expected. No Mind-Reading whatsoever.

vic-k

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:50 pm Post

Well! There y' go, Foxy mate. Don't that just go to show, that one man's rhetorical question, is another man's ardent request for clarification? :wink:
Take care
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Fluff
Platform: Windows

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:05 pm Post

ptram wrote:Vic, that is an area where I favour practice over theory!
Paolo

Master Paolo, praise be to the saints! :shock: For a moment there, I thought Vic-k had sent you a link to some of the debauched or sadomasochistic filth, he's always mentioning. :oops:
Take care
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:51 pm Post

Fluff! Nice new glamour shot you had taken there.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Fluff

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:27 pm Post

Thank you Master Ioa... thank you. You're very kind. But, to be honest Master Ioa, :oops: it's a bit embarrassing for someone as modest as I am, to be constantly reminded of how cute they look. Do you think I will be able to get used to it? I don't want to become vain and egotistical.
Take care
Fluff

Jaysen

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:56 pm Post

Fluffy faced purr machine,

You appear to be making an attempt to deny the very essence of your being. A cat that makes effort to avoid vain and egotistic tendencies is what we call ... a dog.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

BodminBeast

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:43 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Fluffy faced purr machine,

You appear to be making an attempt to deny the very essence of your being. A cat that makes effort to avoid vain and egotistic tendencies is what we call ... a dog.

Pushing against an open door there.
Er, sorry, I meant peeing against.
I think. :?

Br
Briar Kit

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:11 pm Post

Fluff wrote:We feel, that the apparent ability of both your good self, and Master/Mistress Briar Kit Esme, to read each other's minds; to know what the other is, and will be thinking, forms the link between you and Wessex..

I dislike all titles. Never use them. But put me down as Mistress if you really have to. Though I'd prefer no title at all. Please.

Now I'm off to get ready to dine with an engaging French man who I met at a festival an hour ago. Can a Mistress ever say 'non'?
Last edited by Briar Kit on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Account closed January 2017

vic-k

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:38 pm Post

Briar Kit wrote: Can a Mistress ever say 'non'?
Depends how long you want to remain a Mistress.
Would Kit... be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rErrOegU9iY

"Au revoir, mon ami,
Vic-k, Baron d' Stockport

Jaysen

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:06 pm Post

Back to summer reading.

I do NOT recommend the Atmel ATMega or ATXMega data sheets. There is no plot, context is missing, and quite frankly, the number of factual errors is astounding. That and the prose assumes a certain knowledge that, once internalized, renders the bearer nearly unfit for civil society.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Fluff

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:16 pm Post

Master Numpty, what is wrong with them? :?
Looks like pure ScFi & Phantasy to me.

Fluff
Attachments
ATXMEGA128A1.gif
ATXMEGA128A1.gif (18.7 KiB) Viewed 1403 times

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:55 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:I do NOT recommend the Atmel ATMega or ATXMega data sheets.

I will bear that in mind, Jaysen. Thank you for the warning! ;)

Progress on my summer reading... The first two books on my list were a hit. I enjoyed The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared, although I'm very cross with my son for recommending The Name of the Wind when he knew fine well that despite its immense length it is only part one of an as-yet incomplete trilogy, so I feel like I've been left dangling. But I'm struggling to get into the Iain M Banks choice, and keep getting sidetracked into other unscheduled books, even though I'm finding the main body of Use of Weapons to be more engaging than the prologue.

Doctor Glas, however, has been an absolute gem. I read it in a single sitting (it's not long) and couldn't put it down. The translation I downloaded is by David Barrett, and it is zippy, engaging and modern in feel, although I can't comment on how it compares to the original since I don't read Swedish. The story itself feels a bit like a cross between Flaubert's Madame Bovary and Gogol's Diary of a Madman. A great read, and I'm not going to say any more about it in case I spoil it for anyone who is tempted to read it themselves. I loved it, and will be seeking out more Söderberg in translation.

I'm also reading Marc Levy's Et Si C'Était Vrai in an ambitious execise in practising French -- so far I've learned (and subsequently forgotten again) a lot of medical terminology that I hadn't come across before. And I've joined an in-the-flesh book group for the first time in years, as a result of which I have to read Robert Galbraith's The Cuckoo's Calling over the next couple of weeks, which may prove interesting. I wish I didn't know the real identity of the author, though, as I fear that knowledge may taint my impression of the book. Similar external stimulus has added Madeline Miller's The Song of Achilles to the digital stack on my Kindle, but I've read very mixed reviews and I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it.

If I still have time in the remaining two weeks of summer, I see that a new Arnaldur Indriðason Icelandic crime novel has magically appeared on my Kindle overnight, which means that I must have pre-ordered it, although I don't remember doing so. And I am planning to re-read Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes by Robert Louis Stevenson, because it cropped up in conversation recently and I discovered that I couldn't remember it. Two memory lapses in one paragraph. Must be old age.
Literature & Latte support team

Jaysen

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:33 pm Post

Fluff wrote:Master Numpty, what is wrong with them? :?
Looks like pure ScFi & Phantasy to me.

Fluff

Feline furry face,

It is not "scfy & phantasy". It is, point of fact, just sc. As in science. Now I read some other science from other producers recently, most notably NEC, Intel, and Motorola, and I can tell you that, while drier than over cooked tuna seasoned by sunlight in a desert for 2 months, they are a much more pleasant read.

That said, the atmega328p that has become required reading for my summer is fairly complex. The plot that I am struggling to wrap my mind around seems to be only one of many. I fear that I may need to untangle several plot threads and then reread the work slowly to truly comprehend the deeper meaning of the prose.

That or I shall soon be joining Mr. K in his protest.
Jaysen