Summer reading

Foxtrot
Platform: Mac

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:46 pm Post

I have of course read the PS, hence my smiley face as well! I knew what your answer would be.

Fluff
Platform: Windows

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:58 pm Post

Master Foxtrot,
You wouldn't by any chance be descended from
Æthelwulf-of-Wessex, would you? :?
Curious Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

Br
Briar Kit

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:59 pm Post

Thanks, Foxtrot—that's what I thought. Although I know some people have stopped at "The Warning".

Vic was trying to help. I believe he thought I was spurning you in some way.
Last edited by Briar Kit on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Account closed January 2017

Br
Briar Kit

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:00 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
Briar Kit wrote: If I give the complete answer here, it will spoil the story for people who have yet to read the novel.

Kit
Given Foxy's glowing praise for T25DoHD, I think we can take as a given that he thinks he's read it... all. So, just PM him with the answer to his question. :wink: :) No spoiler needed.
Take care,
Vic

Thanks, Vic

Foxtrot knows the answer already. He/She has read the PS. Foxtrot was just joshing with me.
Account closed January 2017

Foxtrot

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:04 pm Post

Fluff wrote:Master Foxtrot,
You wouldn't by any chance be descended from
Æthelwulf-of-Wessex, would you? :?
Curious Fluff

I very much doubt it Fluff as I have never had any urge to conquer Kent. I am afraid that your reference is lost on me.

Fluff

Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:31 pm Post

Foxtrot wrote:I very much doubt it Fluff as I have never had any urge to conquer Kent. I am afraid that your reference is lost on me.
Possibly, Master Foxtrot, because your ancestors have been there-done that-bought the T-Shirt-wore it to bed and burnt holes in it during post-coital smoking (forgive the rude word).

Ethnic orientation, is no bar to your links with Wessex, either. Since the earliest migration from the southern tip of the African continent, up to the present day and no doubt beyond, the human race has been, and will be, scattering its seed/genes/body fluids about, interracially, like confetti at a Royal wedding.

Now then, unless you, too, are a cat, and have been hiding your light under a bushel, suffice to say, without getting bogged down in metaphysical/paranormal/otherworldly debate or argument, it may come as a shock to you, to learn, that amongst we feline’s many innate abilities, is our extra sensory perceptiveness, albeit, sharper in some, duller in others. In my case, it’s the former. Allied to the feline’s formidable perspicaciousness, our hunches, are for the most part, dead certainties. However, in my case, you can remove, ‘for the most part’, from the equation, there’s no room for doubt.

The thing is, Master Foxtrot, my human, ineffably useless at most things, is a genius in the kitchen, when it comes to making, ‘Fishy-in-the-Dishy’!

You can forget Magic Mushrooms, Camberwell Carrots and LSD. FitD induces shamanic trances... so, for a goodly percentage of the 17hrs a day, that my human thinks I am asleep, I am in fact, communing on the Astral Plane with the likes of my cousin, Pangur Bán.

During one of our wide ranging discussions, pertaining to all things of relevance to this, that or the other, the question of your lineage, presented itself, albeit, fleetingly. A quick browse of the Scriv for Astral Plane’s ‘Summer Reading’ thread, left Pangur in no doubt whatsoever, that you have very strong links with Wessex.

’Tis fortuitous for all concerned, Master Foxtrot, that you feel no expansionist urges towards Kent... or elsewhere for that matter.
Take care
Fluff

Juddbert

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:11 pm Post

Oi! Cat! Whatever it is you're taking, stop it. Now.
You've mixed up the dustbins of the local Indian takeaway with those at the Manchester Royal Infirmary, haven't you? It's a safe bet that the onion bhaji you tucked in to...umm...wasn't. :roll:
Can't write right. Don't care neither. Er...either.

Scrivener 2.5 on  OS 10.9

Fluff

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:07 pm Post

Jeb D.Turd wrote:Oi! Oi! Cat! Punapa mawon kang lagi njupuk, mungkasi iku. Saiki.
Sampeyan wis pipis wiwitan dustbins saka lokal India takeaway karo sing ing Manchester kraton Infirmary, wis ora? Iku sing nang aman yen sampeyan bhaji trikatuka tucked ing ... umm ... ora ana. : muter::roll:

Oh dear, Master Jeb. Looks like your glass is empty, and you've just discovered that the bottle is too. :cry:
Ah well... c'est le vie... eh, Master Jeb? :?
Fluff

Foxtrot

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:02 am Post

Fluff have you been lapping your master's sherry again?

Fluff

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:51 am Post

Ahh! Master Foxtrot,
Good morning to you. I trust you slept well?
And so dawns another day of adventure, excitement, mystery, romance... and phantasy.
Foxtrot wrote:Fluff have you been lapping your master's sherry again?

The common misconception amongst humans, that they are masters and mistresses of the Felidae family, is of course, utter bunkum and twaddle. We felines ensnare humans and train them to do our bidding. We... own them.
Foxtrot wrote:....master's sherry again?

My human, useless as he is, does have feelings, and those feeling will be flayed and have salt rubbed into them, by your accusation that he is a sherry drinker. Guinness, The Ebony Ambrosia and Jameson, The Holy Amber Distillation, are his tipples of choice.

Ah! Here comes Pangur.
Must dash,
Fluff

Sent from Pangur’s Astral iPad

Juddbert

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:16 pm Post

I'd say a trip to the veterinary surgeon is long overdue... :roll:
Can't write right. Don't care neither. Er...either.

Scrivener 2.5 on  OS 10.9

Fluff

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 pm Post

Bert Judd wrote:I'd say a trip to the veterinary surgeon is long overdue... :roll:
Master Bert. At last, something we almost agree on. Rather than a veterinary surgeon, for Master Foxtrot, I was thinking perhaps a visit to a veterinary psychologist may be of some help to him. Hypnotic regression to a previous existence, has been known to pay big dividends too. Or! Even better... a tablespoon of FitD, should sort him out. Save the cost of the vet... eh, Master Bert?
Fluff

Foxtrot

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:57 pm Post

Dear Fluff

Having given the matter some considerable thought I must admit I am still flummoxed by the reference to Aethewulf of Essex and can only assume I have upset you in some way for which I apologise.

My comment about the best place for cats is a plastic bag at the bottom of a canal, made a considerable time ago, was only semi serious. My only real experience of felines was my wife's cat who sadly departed this world a few years ago. He was somewhat below the cactus plant on the intelligence scale but had "lovely markings".

Regards
Foxtrot

Fluff

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:04 pm Post

Master Foxtrot,
My good friend, Pangur Bán and I, are perturbed. The source of our perturbation, is:
Foxtrot wrote:Having given the matter some considerable thought I must admit I am still flummoxed by the reference to Aethewulf of Essex

Pangur and I, are fearful we have deflected you from your other duties and responsibilities and caused you to neglect them, thereby (possibly), incurring the wrath of Madam Foxtrot. So concerned were we (well, more Pangur than I), we decided to take another look at the circumstances giving rise to this vexing situation.

Having re/evaluated/examined the situation, we feel we now have a pretty good approximation of how the land lies. However, one thing we both struggle with, is, why you seem agitated to be regarded as a direct descendant of King Æthelwulf of Wessex?

Trotting Fox... Noble Wolf. Most Englishmen today, would be proud of the association.
Would it have been more to your liking, had we suggested Æthelred the Unready... or... heaven forbid... Æthelbald.

Back to the task in hand... the above being of no consequence now. Pangur Bán, being an adept at, Lateral Thinking & Thinking Outside The Box, has solved the conundrum, concerning your link to the Kingdom of Wessex, to a degree of accuracy (+/- .00001%), of 99.9%.

Solution:

We feel, that the apparent ability of both your good self, and Master/Mistress Briar Kit Esme, to read each other's minds; to know what the other is, and will be thinking, forms the link between you and Wessex.. See Below.

Possibly, BKE sees him/herself as directly descended from King Æthelwulf of Wessex. A truly romantic notion, is it not... evidence surely, of a vivid imagination? Or, more mundanely, claiming residence somewhere within an 11,000 sq. mile slab of south and south west England.

Our apologies for assuming you were of royal lineage, Master Foxtrot.

As for cats/bags/canals. if you knew some of the mankey, mangey, dirty stinking tomcats that call by, chancing their arm (for which they get short shrift from me), there would be nothing semi about your comment on cats.

Take care Sire.
Your Humble Servants
Fluff&Bangur

Sent from Bangur’s Astral iPad

ptram

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:52 pm Post

At about 40°C, there is no way I want to read, to play, to even think I'll move my arm to turn a page or play some notes.
(Actually, I'm slowly - very slowly - reading a book about the Panathenaea, held in Athens in July and August. I can't believe Western civilization was born in all this heat. I'm sure everything did happen by night, when the weather was a bit more forgiving.)
(Reading - summer is made to stay in the water, quietly reflecting about what you read in the earlier months.)

Paolo