[LH1228] Large and small caps not working properly

jj
jje
Platform: Windows

Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:53 am Post

I want to quote a paragraph from a newspaper, the first few words were in large and small caps in the original, so I typed them in upper and lower case:
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot1.jpg (218.59 KiB) Viewed 486 times

and then chose the formatting option "Small caps". The result is unreadable (small caps are way too small:
screenshot2.jpg
screenshot2.jpg (227.61 KiB) Viewed 486 times

I can't find an option to adjust their appearance. Also, I tried the same thing with another font (Adobe Caslon Pro) that I know has the alternative glyphs for true typographic small caps; same result.

th
thePhilosoraptor

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:53 pm Post

Thanks, this has been filed.
Bryan Bender

rw
rwfranz

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 am Post

thePhilosoraptor wrote:Thanks, this has been filed.

Additional information. I tried this, and the height of the small caps VARIES through the line. Not sure what's strange here, but something is.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1APvGUGc5su0l75jI_qVz2iFB2Z8J1Qwz

And here's the extract from the RTF file:

Code: Select all

{\f0\fs28\b0\i0\scaps Mage Terona agrees}

Originally 14-pt type in Deja Vu Serif.

I have another document in Deja Vu Sans where they are a different size altogether (half the height of the full capitals). The OP's small caps were maybe 1/5 the height of full-size caps; I've got them at 1/3, 1/2, and what appears to be about 3/4 (which is what Libre Office gives me). Deja Vu fonts do not have a small caps variant.

It looks, though, as though Scriv is applying the small caps scaling algorithm multiple times for non-cap characters, and inconsistently across fonts.