[LH2848] Kindle eBook generated with strange characters (â € œGratitudeâ €  â €“, targetÂ, businessÂ, etc)

Fl
FlorenceG
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 4:58 am
Platform: Windows

Sat May 05, 2018 5:04 am Post

The Kindle file was created with strange characters.

Scrivener replaced -within the Kindle eBook- many, many words with strange characters.

Heâ € ™ s
targetÂ
businessÂ
peopleâ € ™ s
Donâ € ™ t
Todayâ € ™ s
canâ € ™ t
â € œPatienceâ €  â €“
â € œEmpathyâ €  â €“
â € œGratitudeâ €  â €“

PLEASE, HELP!!! THIS THING IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

I don't know what else to do. I have tried EVERYTHING, every available option and nothing works.

HOW CAN I SOLVE THIS?? Please, help!!!

I am using Version: 2.9.0.4 Beta (149671) 64-bit / Windows 10

Thank you so much!!!

th
thePhilosoraptor
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:28 am
Platform: Windows

Sat May 05, 2018 5:58 pm Post

This is indeed a bug, and has been filed in our system. Thank you.
Bryan Bender

In
Inrideo
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:39 pm
Platform: Windows
Contact:

Fri May 11, 2018 1:40 am Post

Is there a method of duplication for this?

I generated a test mobi in the same version and don't see it (yet).

If I can duplicate it I'll try it again as well after the next release so there's more of us in the wild looking for it :)

edit: Aha! When I closed Kindle for Desktop and opened it again it installed an update. The updated version showed all the funky characters.. (v1.23.1 50133). I'm not sure what version of Kindle it was before that though. Hope that helps with testing against Kindle after :)

In
Inrideo
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:39 pm
Platform: Windows
Contact:

Thu May 17, 2018 12:53 am Post

The thing that confuses me about this one is why kindlegen created a perfectly formatted version from Scrivener when read with the older version of Kindle, and created a messy one when read with the new version.

You'd think if it was happening on the Scrivener side that kindlegen would have made a bad mobi file for both the old and new Kindle.

In
Inrideo
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:39 pm
Platform: Windows
Contact:

Thu May 17, 2018 12:59 am Post

I just compiled my test file as an epub from Scrivener and it came out fine.
Then I opened the command line and ran kindlegen manually to convert the epub to mobi.
It reintroduced most of the extra characters during the kindlegen process.

In
Inrideo
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:39 pm
Platform: Windows
Contact:

Thu May 17, 2018 1:11 am Post

I've found a workaround in the meantime if you need to get your mobi documents cleaned.

Compile to epub (or your preferred format), and add to your Calibre library. Then use Calibre's conversion utility to make it a mobi.

Verified working on Kindle for Desktop and Kindle Paperwhite

:)

Do
Dorothea
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:37 pm
Platform: Windows

Wed May 30, 2018 3:27 pm Post

That bug is still there with 2.9.05.

The same book ,with the old Scrivner and the same version of Kindegen works just perfect

Do
Dorothea
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:37 pm
Platform: Windows

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:41 pm Post

Issue fixed!

Beta 10:
Just checked it in the Kindle Previewer: I've got my German "Umlaute" back. ä ö ü and ß are fine. :D

Thanks.
Now I can use the beta for evry step of the work.

I' m happy.

User avatar
tiho_d
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:14 pm
Platform: Linux + Windows

Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:43 am Post

Glad to read that it worked, Dorothea! Beta 10 received a good amount of love improving the eBook compile output. Enjoy!