In the outliner view, is there a way to get the total word count for a "group" to show up? Right now it shows 0, and zero progress towards the goal. It would be very useful to get word or character counts for each chapter rather than only subsections. I'm sure my explanation is lacking, so instead here is a screenshot which, as the saying goes, should be worth 1000 words
The "Total Word Count" and "Total Progress" columns are what you are looking for. Since Folders in Scrivener can also have their own text, the two columns "Word Count" and "Total Word Count" show different things. Same with "Progress" and "Total Progress". In both cases the prior will count only those words/characters/progress that are contained within the folder itself, will the latter will count the words/characters/progress of all contained documents in the group.
Total Word Count does indeed show the total words for each section, so that's a step in the right direction.
Total Progress and Total Target however only show in relation to the entire project (75000 in my case vs the 4000 I set for each section).
As is, I'm not really sure what the point of having Total Progress or Total Target shown on the outliner is, since it's the exact same value/progress bar for every entry?
It does look like I found a bug though unless there is something else I'm missing. I copied and pasted one of the sections several times to get a bunch of words and the Total Progress bar is 100% green in every case.
(On the Mac...) It works the way you'd expect it to.
You enter the target in one of two ways: either into the Target field of the folder, or into the subdocuments — or both if you prefer.
So for a Chapter with three scenes, either give the Chapter a target of 6000 words, or give each scene a target of 2000 words each. Either way, the Total Target for the Folder will automatically calculate at 6000 words.
NB: you can combine the two — ie targets in both Chapter and Scenes as above in which case the Total Target will be 12,000.
Screenshot 2018-02-25 22.49.25.png (49.15 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
In the screenshot the first line is a chapter folder, the next few lines are scenes.
Add a Part above this it will add all the targets up and so on... In other words, the Total... fields are always calculated and you set everything using the 'Target' field. If you want just to have a chapter target, don't fill in the scene targets, or vice versa.
If it's not working like that in the Beta, then there may be a bug.