Touch screen scrolling in Scrivener 3?

dr
drcwright
Platform: Windows

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:51 am Post

I'm trying the beta on my laptop and In the current version, dragging my finger up or down the page (inside The Editor) highlights the text rather than scrolling the screen. (In Scrivener 1, the screen scrolls.)

Am I not seeing a setting for this, or is this how it's intended to function? (I hope it's not the latter.)

cheers

du
duppsw

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:14 pm Post

I would like to bring this same question/concern from late 2017 back on the radar.. Surface PCs and other touch-screen enabled Windows machines are one of the main reasons to be a Windows 10 user, but touch scrolling is still not present in beta. Loss of this feature in 3.0 would be very unfortunate and makes upgrading a concern for me. I don't see any options to touch-enable document scrolling (not using the scroll bar, which is a difficult target for a finger, but using the page itself). Is this an oversight, and is retaining/restoring touch scrolling planned for this release?

I just started using the beta and noticed an issue that is probably unrelated but important. On Microsoft Surface Go, using the mouse to select text on a PDF selects text several lines ABOVE the cursor position rather than the text AT the cursor position.

an
animatorgeek

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:59 pm Post

This really bugs me. I like Scrivener but it works differently than every other text editing program on my computer. It's a problem. Consistent user interface is important. Touch-screen drag should scroll, not select.

In the document list, It should scroll, not move documents. This gets me all the time -- I want to scroll the document list and I end up accidentally moving a document instead. It's even worse in that moving a document doesn't add an entry to the undo stack, so I have to figure out where I dragged it from and move it back manually.

Can any developers comment on this? Is it a purposeful decision? I suspect it is, since it's the same functionality as in Scriv 1. If so, what's the rationale? Is there any chance of getting it fixed for the final release of 3?

David

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:51 am Post

I would guess that this has to do with the fact that Scrivener for Windows is not a native Windows framework application but is being developed in the Qt5 framework. This gives the team a starting point closer to the Mac OS APIs so they have to do less re-inventing of the wheel, but it does mean that some native functionality in Windows that we just take for granted is imperfectly surfaced in Qt or not present at all at this time.

I would also guess this is something they've not yet made any effort to address, as tweaking for touch systems on a platform that includes both touch and touchless hardware configurations (e.g. the entire Windows PC ecosystem) is likely a much lower priority than finishing getting all of the 3.x functionality in place working with keyboard and mouse as the lowest common denominator.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:30 am Post

We have not tested all platforms and devices guys. We will definitely address this in the future, but the compiler, key functionality and bug fixes are our priority now. Have in mind that we are using the latest Qt 5.12.0, which was also released about two weeks ago, which might also contribute to a new set of bugs. Please, try also Ctrl+Scroll and check, if this makes any difference.