[JH] Korean Windows Default Font

HJ
HJH
Platform: Windows

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:43 am Post

Hello!

Korean Windows Default Font

Korean Windows Default Font is Malgun Gothic.
When the default English font (Segoe UI etc) is selected in scrivener, the Korean default font should be Malgun Gothic instead of Gulim.

Thanks.

My system: MS Windows 10 1703 64bit, Scrivener 3.0 Beta 1 - 2.9.0.1

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:35 am Post

Thanks for the report. Much of this is adjustable within Scrivener's Options, so you may be able to get things looking the way you want/expect. From a default installation, where are you seeing Gulim used in place of Malgun Gothic? Is it always swapping automatically for Segoe UI or do you see the Segoe UI font as boxes until you change it?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

HJ
HJH

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:34 pm Post

Hello!

Sorry for my poor explanation.

I don’t mean that I can not set or swap fonts in Scrivener.
I mean the case of the mixed text with English and Korean.

If you write only English text in Scrivener, you will have no problem.
You have problem when you write English-Korean mixed text in Scrivener.

If you set the English-only font such as Segoe UI to the English-Korean mixed text,
the English text is displayed in Segoe UI, but the Korean text is displayed in Gulim as substitute Korean font for Segoe UI
because Segoe UI does not contain Korean font.

Windows 10’s system default Korean font is Malgun Gothic instead of Gulim.
But Scrivener 2.9.0.1 Beta 1 version as well as 1.9.7 version sets Gulim(old Windows system default font) as default substitute Korean font for English fonts.

When you sync documents through Sync with External Folder… , modify documents in synced folder with MS Word and re-sync repeatedly in Scrivener,
the Korean text of the modified documents is messed up with some Korean fonts like Malgun Gothic, Gulim and Batang etc,
because MS Word default Korean font is Malgun Gothic.

So I wish Malgun Gothic be the default substitute Korean font for English fonts instead of Gulim also in Scrivener to avoid the font messing-up of the Korean text.

In fact, I wish better that Scrivener could support the independent setting of the Asian Text Font and the Latin Text Font in font settings of Format and Style options like MS Word Korean version,
for Scrivener 3 now introduced Styles.

Thanks.

My system: MS Windows 10 1703 64bit, Scrivener 3.0 Beta 1 - 2.9.0.1, Scrivener 1.9.7, MS Word 2016

Fa
FadedStardust

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:03 pm Post

HJH wrote:In fact, I wish better that Scrivener could support the independent setting of the Asian Text Font and the Latin Text Font in font settings of Format and Style options like MS Word.

This! Because it's a problem when using other non-Latin text as well, and it's not a Scrivener exclusive problem, but one shared by many (likely even most) programs created in the West, who don't have Asian text users in their dev teams, simply because American or European based dev teams don't know what the needs are.

For example, typing Chinese text is an eyesore, because the default substitute fonts try to choose from Serif (such as MS Ming) fonts before Sans (such as fonts that have Hei in the names) and Traditional before Simplified (so Ming before Song, or if lucky enough to get it to register that you want Sans fonts, JhengHei before YaHei) which is a pain when typing in Simplified Chinese, because you get three or four fonts mixed together.

Or, you could change your main text font to be the one you want your Chinese text to show up as... but fonts designed for non-Latin scripts tend to have *really* bad/ugly Latin characters included in them. So either way, if your text contains multiple scripts, it's going to be an eyesore for the writer unless you manually change fonts every time you switch languages. Which seems like a post-Scrivener thing one would want to do when writing long form, except when you can't stand to read through your own text, even as you write it.

MS Word "knows" what each language is supposed to default to, and changes to those defaults on the fly (and according to OP, also has settings for this? I've never needed them, as it's always just done it "on its own" for me) which may or may not be a pain for a small dev team like yours to figure out all the different language/font combos (especially as they're different on Windows and Mac, obviously) or it might be a programming challenge. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know.

Another way of doing this, which in my opinion is much more elegant and wouldn't likely be too hard considering how much one can already fine-tune fonts in Scrivener is to set things up similar to how LibreOffice does things, where you have three categories wherein you can choose which languages get defaulted to, and what fonts to use for those languages. The categories are Western, Asian, and Complex Text Layout (which are languages like Arabic or Thai).

Here is my personal list of font choices in LibreOffice, using English (Calibri Light), Simplified Chinese (MS YaHei UI Light), and Thai (Leelawdee UI Semilight) to show you what I mean: https://imgur.com/a/GM5C8.

By the way, I didn't set up this example of a possible combo someone *could* use, I actually have it set up this way, as I actually use all three of those languages!

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:39 am Post

Ah, thanks for the clarification and further discussion. So I think there are two distinct issues here, at least from a programming point of view: 1) What font is used by default for interface elements such as menu names; 2) What font is defaulted to when typing in the editor and switching between languages with different alphabets.

The second is certainly a worthwhile wish, and I will put it on our list for investigation. Microsoft has a slight advantage over us in terms of resources (!), so the automatic language detection and so on that goes on there is probably well beyond what Scrivener could ever offer, but there may be a way to more simply allow the user to specify the fallback fonts.

For the first, assuming the system language is Korean and that Scrivener's interface is defaulting to the Korean translation (these are still the old 1.9.7 files, so not fully fitting the interface yet), what font is currently being used by default for the menus in Scrivener--is the text appearing in Segoe UI, Gulim, Malgun Gothic, or something else?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)