Before proceeding, please see the general notes about the Windows 3.0 beta and reporting bugs in the first reply to this thread. Please do not download the current beta or post reports until you have read that information.
Current: Beta 13, version 22.214.171.124
126.96.36.199 (64-bit) | 188.8.131.52 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 13. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
This beta will run through 15th April 2019. New betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
Note on Beta 13
If you have installed Beta 12, please upgrade to Beta 13 by either selecting Help > Check for Updates within Scrivener or downloading the full installer from the link above.
The fixes and changes from Beta 12 to Beta 13 are listed below.
General Bugs Fixed
- Implemented: Scrivener auto-quit timer [#3375]
- Implemented: Performance optimisations with Scrivener load time [#3387]
- Implemented: New algorithm for recovering missing files [#1838]
- Implemented: Document target "Show allowance in progress bar" [#3333]
- Implemented: Overrun allowance in the Project Targets, Draft progress control and Session progress [#3362]
- Implemented: A new RTF adaptive writing algorithm based on the project location i.e. to shared/cloud (direct write) & locally using existing crash safe algorithm [#3395]
- Fixed: Crash when entering and exiting Composition mode with project targets open [#3320]
- Fixed: Inspector not showing correct folder when in Scrivenings mode [#3272]
- Fixed: Format menu label changes and order to match Mac [#3369]
- Fixed: Composition Mode always initially displaying Scrivenings at 100% zoom [#3211]
- Fixed: Reset project search criteria when closing search collection [#1900]
- Fixed: Corkboard introduces increasing blank lines when printed [#3377]
- Fixed: Inconsistent use of slash and backslash in file paths throughout UI [#804]
- Fixed: Sync > With External Folder > "Sync all other text documents in the project" is not saved/restored properly [#3346]
- Fixed: Edit/Transformation menu label to match Mac [#3338]
- Fixed: Wrong Dictionary display name for Portuguese [#3345]
- Fixed: Print Preview shows wrong document after Scrivenings mode enabled [#3344]
- Fixed: More backslash vs. slash in file paths [#1451]
- Fixed: Options > Editing > Formatting preview does not fill up the view [#3347]
- Fixed: Reveal in Binder not working for Bookmarks [#3316]
- Fixed: Project Settings Footnote Marker [#3242]
- Fixed: Sort color names inside the Options color tree view [#3317]
- Fixed: Label/Status selection menu too sensitive [#3324]
- Fixed: Fix creating new project over an existing project location [#3397]
- Fixed: Ctrl+Z will delete the title/synopsis inside the Outliner [#3394]
- Fixed: Outliner does not export full content as CSV [#3361]
- Fixed: Lines condensed in synopses [#3097]
- Fixed: Delays when mapped network drive unavailable [#1740]
- Fixed: Verify Writing History values [#3329]
- Fixed: ePub Custom Table of Contents Title (TOC) doesn't change [#3339]
- Fixed: Back Matter documents are in reverse order [#3337]
- Fixed: The Inspector modified date and time does not update when you make changes [#3342]
- Fixed: Copyholder header are totally white [#3352]
- Fixed: Scrivener will not reset the session counts if not running during the reset session time [#3331]
- Fixed: Auto calculated Session Target counts will not take into account already written draft counts [#3321]
- Fixed: Working with big images inside the main editor causes Scrivener to freeze [#3335]
- Fixed: Project/Session Targets do not update upon changing document's "Include in Compile" flag [#3318]
- Fixed: Session count subtracts words when document is split [#3322]
- Fixed: Session Target > Count text anywhere in the project not working as expected [#3328]
- Implemented: Placeholder for auto-numbering <$[auto-number-type]:[name]:[keyword]> [#3381]
- Implemented: Placeholders for <$p-r> and <$P-R> [#3380]
- Implemented: Placeholders for <$pageGroupTitle> and <$pageGroupParentTitle> [#3392]
- Implemented: Hierarchical Placeholders: <$hn>, <$ahn>, <$aon>, <$hn_0>, <$hn_levelN> [#3390]
- Implemented: Placeholder <$np> [#3393]
- Implemented: An option to auto-load the newly compiled file [#3355]
- Fixed: Remove Trailing Spaces not trimming the end of the document [#3378]
- Fixed: Compile window too narrow on low DPI monitors [#3221]
- Fixed: Footnotes not exported as Endnotes [#3382]
- Fixed: HTML compiles do not pass validation [#3217]
- Fixed: Named Streams not working in Compile [#3372]
- Fixed: Unable to save custom separator font in Compile [#3353]
- Fixed: "Section Layout" checkboxes uncheckable with mouse [#3336]
- Implemented: Popup Styles Menu accessible via shortcut and navigable via up/down arrows [#2863]
- Fixed: Styles menu not appearing properly in context menu [#2864]
- Fixed: Setting text to No Style does not reset to default formatting for empty lines [#3323]
- Fixed: Clearing Paragraph Styles on empty paragraphs does not work as expected [#3376]
- Fixed: Cannot change to "No Style" from context menu [#3373]
- Fixed: Change styles button on format bar to show style name [#2369]
- Fixed: Replacing styles not working as expected [#2553]
- Fixed: Styles with background not working as expected [#3371]
A few issues to be aware of in the current v13 beta
We have not yet updated the user manual, so the beta still contains the old 1.9.7 manual. We have however included an updated interactive tutorial for 3.0, which we recommend working through to familiarise yourself with the new features.
Project templates have not yet been updated for 3.0, so are not taking advantage of new features and may have some outdated content.
Titles are not editable in the editor header while in Scrivenings mode. They can however be updated in the Inspector, Binder, or, if View > Text Editing > Show Titles in Scrivenings is enabled, directly in the editor and the change will be reflected in the header.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
Feb 11th 2019
Previous: Beta 12, version 184.108.40.206 (valid until end of Feb 2019)
220.127.116.11 (64-bit) | 18.104.22.168 (32-bit)