Current: Beta 11, version 188.8.131.52
184.108.40.206 (64-bit) | 220.127.116.11 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 11. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
This beta will run through 15 February 2019. New betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
Note on Beta 11
If you have installed Beta 10, please upgrade to Beta 11 by either selecting Help > Check for Updates within Scrivener or downloading the full installer from the link above.
The changes from Beta 10 to Beta 11 are listed below.
Refinements and Changes
- Overhauled document load algorithm expect load times 3 to 5+ times faster [#3264]
- Overhauled Compiler to be stand-alone & isolated from Scrivener
- Added Compiler placeholder tags [#1752]
- Added full Regular Expression (RegEx2) support to Search [#1443]
- Updated cross-platform file format changes [#1907]
- Updated Project Targets, including writing days, notifications and auto session target calculations [#2601]
- Updated Options dialog layout and added additional settings [#3267]
- Added Statistics pop-up in editor status bar [#3271]
- Added Page navigation and page hints in editor status bar [#3275]
- Added missing Outliner decorations in Options [#3261]
- Added Find by Formatting refinements [#2590]
- Added request for Quick Reference windows to be min/max and standalone windows [#3245]
- Added HTML header levels in HTML export [#2706]
- Added Toolbar & Formatbar height adjustment in Options [#3268]
- Added Windows Dark Mode to Options (experimental only)
- Fixed crash when loading broad spectrum character sets [#3089]
- Fixed crash when pasting list items from external sources [#3143]
- Fixed Scrivenings search result highlighting [#3125]
- Fixed Session Targets [#2601]
- Fixed text decorations offset by line spacing (i.e. footnotes, comments and inline equivalents) [#3111]
- Fixed Page View persistence [#3104]
- Fixed viewing multiple Outliner groups if folder has no children [#3216]
- Fixed Compile front and back matter generation [#3259]
- Fixed invalid font color in epub stylesheet [#3153]
- Fixed Custom Meta-Data not updating correctly [#3054]
- Fixed Page View inheriting correct system page size settings [#3107]
- Fixed Synopsis inclusion when exporting Outliner contents [#2909]
- Fixed Table display glitches [#3120]
- Fixed empty tables disappearing and wiping text [#3127]
- Fixed invisible character zoom issue [#3041]
- Fixed asterisk removal when deleting a Footnote [#3257]
- Fixed Section Type saving [#3278]
- Fixed Print (and Print Preview) printing blank page [#3277]
- Fixed document Bookmarks in Copyholder header menu [#2647]
- Fixed Styles menu button [#2878]
- Fixed Options > Separators tab (previously blank) [#3266]
- Fixed Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down movement between paragraphs [#2996]
- Fixed assigning "Group" anything but "AS IS" causes epub TOC to show "Unknown" [#2992]
- Fixed Upgrade project dialog to contain project path [#3260]
- Fixed Front and Backmatter compilation [#3006]
- Fixed <$compilegroup> when used from Project Properties [#1268]
- Fixed Options to include project completions in Script Settings [#941]
- Fixed "Treat all documents with children as folders" not working until project reopened [#3255]
- Fixed Binder icon menu to be consistent with Mac [#3253]
- Fixed <GAP> component in Toolbar customization [#3243]
- Fixed highlight colour reseting on project close/reopen [#3254]
- Fixed divider lines not showing on stacked corkboard in Arrange by Label view [#3171]
- Fixed Snapshot Manager not opening from Quick Reference menu [#3190]
- Fixed unexpected result when clicking index card document icon [#3188]
- Fixed Check Spelling while Typing not waiting for completion of word [#2961]
- Fixed Spell check underline disappearing when cursor within word [#1249]
- Fixed other Spell check issues [#3223]
- Fixed unload documents if they are not modified and not used for a predefined amount of time [#3165]
- Fixed Custom Meta-Data altering Outliner columns [#2912]
- Fixed Custom Columns... selector from the Outliner columns drop down menu [#3249]
- Fixed Page View right border not drawn on page wider than editor [#3100]
- Fixed removal of an Inspector Note spreading multiple paragraphs [#3287]
- Fixed multiple selections in project Search [#2663]
- Fixed Compile Formats not saving all fields [#3274]
- Fixed Scrivener is slow after a crash [#3265]
- Fixed Binder conflict resolution for multiple .scrivx [#2589]
- Fixed preservation of the Copyholder state & contents after Scrivener shutdown & restart [#3262]
- Fixed broken import and export of formats [#3258]
- Fixed non-text items in collections not appearing in Compile contents list [#3218]
- Fixed word wrap in Keyword text in the Outliner [#3247]
A few issues to be aware of in the current v11 beta
We still have aspects of the Compiler back-end to hook-up; however, the Compiler interface is now complete. So, feel free to post Compiler bugs as we'll be looking to close these out pretty quickly in the coming weeks. Then our focus will be on closing out on remaining reported bugs.
Dark Mode is experimental only and may or may not make the release. It was a recent Mac Scrivener 3.1 addition in light of MacOS Dark Mode. However, I suspect a few folks, like me, will start throwing toys out their cot if they don't get an ice cream too. There are two issues I'm aware of today:
1. Pop-up message boxes get cut in half in Dark Mode.
2. Returning from Dark Mode to normal mode the Corkboard background remains dark. Easily fixed by going into Options and changing the Corkboard background color. Both these issues will be addressed in future builds.
We have not yet updated the user manual, so the beta still contains the old 1.9.7 manual. We have however included an updated interactive tutorial for 3.0, which we recommend working through to familiarise yourself with the new features.
Project templates have not yet been updated for 3.0, so are not taking advantage of new features and may have some outdated content.
Titles are not editable in the editor header while in Scrivenings mode. They can however be updated in the Inspector, Binder, or, if View > Text Editing > Show Titles in Scrivenings is enabled, directly in the editor and the change will be reflected in the header.
Non-HiDPI displays, MS Windows Display Scaling and Qt (the C++ framework we use to build Scrivener) caused us a lot of grief during the Beta due to various bugs in the Qt framework. Multi-monitor mixes of Hi-DPI and non HiDPI thankfully have been addressed largely recently, but some scaling anomalies still persist on some displays; albeit improvements over what they were. We have also done everything we can to make Scrivener present well across the myriad of resolutions and DPIs that exist in the Windows world. Please let us know if you experience any weirdness in this regard, be sure to include your resolution, Windows display scaling setting and a screenshot.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
Dec 10th 2018