Current: Beta 6, version 188.8.131.52
184.108.40.206 (64-bit) | 220.127.116.11 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 6. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
This beta will run through 31 July 2018. New betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
Beginning with 18.104.22.168, beta versions include new betas in the automatic check for updates (configured in the General tab of File > Options).
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.7 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.7 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.7 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
Changes Since Last Beta
(Bug fixes for issues reported on the forum are marked with an LH# corresponding to the one in the thread's subject. Not all reported bugs have yet been addressed; there is no need to bump an earlier report that is not listed here unless it's to note that the problem is no longer reproducible in the new beta or that the behaviour has changed.)
Note on Beta 6
Beta 6 fixes a crash introduced in the previous beta related to switching the editor out of Scrivenings view [LH3034]. If you have installed Beta 5, please upgrade to Beta 6 by either selecting Help > Check for Updates within Scrivener or downloading the full installer from the link above.
Nothing else has changed since Beta 5. The changes from Beta 4 to Beta 5 are listed below.
Refinements and Changes
- The Qt framework Scrivener uses has been updated to the just-released version 5.11. This should somewhat improve display scaling for users finding the interface much too large (such as several ZenBook users have reported), although the problem is not completely resolved yet. [LH2754]
- Editing a Scrivenings session is now possible! [LH2717]
- Changed the Project Replace defaults so the scope is no longer preset to "Selected Documents Only". [LH2984]
- Check for Updates in the beta releases now checks for new betas. The new installers will continue to be posted with full notes here in the forum but may also be available for download from within Scrivener.
- Changed the default editor formatting to use a 0.25" first-line indent rather than 0.5", matching macOS.
- Minor UI tweaks throughout.
- Hopefully fixed the display bug whereby text could temporarily disappear from the editor until the editor was resized or the text edited. [LH2417]
- Fixed a bug whereby removing styles from a selection within a paragraph could also delete linked and inline notations included in the selection.
- Fixed a bug whereby removing inline footnote formatting stripped formatting and images from the footnote text.
- Fixed a bug whereby formatting applied to styled text could be overridden incorrectly when updating the style.
- Refined removing styles, ensuring character formatting is properly reset when part of a cleared style.
- Improved cleaning up style formatting before applying a new style to selected text.
- Fixed a bug whereby replacing styles with the same name when importing styles did not properly update the formatting of text already using that style.
- Fixed a bug whereby redefining a character style did not correctly update the formatting of text with the style already applied.
- Fixed a bug that set the text of a binder items to a contrast colour based on the item's label when View > Use Label Color In > Binder was enabled but Show as Background Color in Binder was not. [LH2599]
- Adjusted the contrast settings in the binder to prevent the text colour switching unnecessarily when an item was selected. [LH2989]
- Fixed a bug whereby title text did not change to a contrast colour when the binder or outliner was set to a dark background colour. [LH2746]
- Fixed a bug that applied a paragraph's character and font style attributes to rich text pasted into the paragraph.
- Fixed a bug whereby choosing "Select All Text with Paragraph/Character Style" from the Style panel's context menu did not clear the existing selection if it did not match the selected style.
- Fixed a bug that applied the source text's paragraph style to the destination paragraph when pasting styled text into an unstyled paragraph.
- Improved pasting styled text between projects, including the default option to update formatting to match the destination project's style of the same name. (This can be disabled in Files > Options > Sharing.)
- Fixed a bug that could assign an empty character style to text with only a paragraph style.
- Fixed a bug causing paragraph formatting not to update properly in redefined styles.
- Fixed a bug that showed project notes when loading a special folder (Draft, Research, or Trash), though these items cannot have notes of their own. The inspector now correctly displays only the project bookmarks for these items. [LH2845]
- Fixed a bug that caused the inspector view to switch from document to project bookmarks after loading the Draft, Research, or Trash folder. [LH2846]
- Fixed a bug that excluded the Research and Draft folders from selection as the default bookmarks folder if they did not have subdocuments.
- Fixed a bug whereby a document's word and character count initially appeared as zero when entering Composition Mode. [LH2982]
- Fixed a bug whereby changing documents in Composition Mode using the Go To menu caused temporarily changed the display colour of the text to black. [LH2748]
- Fixed a bug that caused the inspector to reset from project bookmarks to document bookmarks after closing and reopening a project.
- Corrected the title numbering format for duplicated items. [LH3002]
- Fixed a bug whereby the icon manager always remained visible when open, even if the project window was hidden. [LH3003]
- Fixed a bug whereby paragraph formatting did not correctly apply to a multiple text selection made via Select All Style or Select Similar Formatting.
- Fixed the alternate row colours in search collections, which were always using a light grey instead of shading the background colour. [LH663]
- Fixed a bug whereby the current document indicator in the binder incorrectly highlighted items selected on the corkboard or outliner rather than the loaded container.
- Fixed a bug whereby the custom editor zoom could not be set below 100%. The minimum is now 25%. [LH3032]
- Fixed a bug whereby projects with many identically-named images (such as those pasted from the clipboard) failed to compile to ebook formats because the auto-generated unique names grew too long.
- Hopefully worked around an issue that could prevent Scrivener from loading if an installed font crashed the font parser. If this happens, Scrivener will skip the font on subsequent launches, with an initial message to the user.
- Fixed a minor UI bug whereby the checkmark for "No Style" did not appear in the dropdown menu from the format bar until a style had been applied within the project.
- Fixed a UI bug causing the checkmark to overlap the "No Style" text in the styles dropdown menu from the format bar.
- Corrected a typo in the Delete Style dialog.
- Minor edits to the message text when running the 32-bit installer on a 64-bit system.
We are still implementing features and ironing out bugs, so you should expect to find things that aren't working quite as intended. A few issues to be aware of in the current 22.214.171.124 beta:
- A writing-direction flag appears on the cursor within any paragraph containing auto-corrected characters. (This appears to be a bug in the Qt upgrade's increased bi-directional support for which we have not yet found a workaround.)
- Titles are not editable in the editor header while in Scrivenings mode. They can however be updated in the inspector, binder, or, if View > Text Editing > Show Titles in Scrivenings is enabled, directly in the editor and the change will be reflected in the header.
- "View page source" on imported webpages is not working with the current Qt version.
- Though we have the interface set up for the new compiler, it is not yet fully functional.
- Project templates have not yet been updated for 3.0, so are not taking advantage of new features and may have some outdated content.
We have not yet updated the user manual, so the beta still contains the old 1.9.7 manual. We have however included an updated interactive tutorial for 3.0, which we recommend working through to familiarise yourself with the new features.
A Note on Suggestions
At present, our focus is on squashing bugs and on implementing and polishing outstanding features to bring Windows in line with the macOS 3.0 version. To help with this, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!