Current: Beta 4, version 184.108.40.206
220.127.116.11 (64-bit) | 18.104.22.168 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 4.)
This beta will run through 31 May 2018. New betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.7 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.7 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.7 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
Changes Since Last Beta
(Bug fixes for issues reported on the forum are marked with an LH# corresponding to the one in the thread's subject. Not all reported bugs have yet been addressed; there is no need to bump an earlier report that is not listed here unless it's to note that the problem is no longer reproducible in the new beta or that the behaviour has changed.)
Refinements and Changes
- Copyholders can now load all document types, not only text.
- Adjusted placement of the Open > in Copyholder item in the binder context menu, matching macOS.
- Began implementing the standard document Find for text PDFs. (Previously, PDF searching was handled separately via a "Find..." option from the PDF context menu.)
- PDF text is now searchable via Project Search.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To include text of previously imported PDFs in the search, please first run File > Save and Rebuild Search Indexes in the project.
- Began implementing new text selection method in PDFs. We're aware selection is not working correctly when Windows display scaling is enabled. [LH2900]
- Added context menu options to the Styles Panel, including a fast way to assign keyboard shortcuts to styles.
- The styles panel no longer steals focus, making it easier to apply and remove styles or select styled text without interrupting editing.
- Tidied the editor zoom menu settings and added the ability to set a custom zoom percentage.
- Removed "Empty Trash" from the binder context menu except when the Trash is selected, and added the option to permanently delete selected items from the project's Trash, via the context menu or Edit > Delete when focus is in the binder, corkboard, or outliner.
- Icons for documents in the Trash folder are now faded slightly, making them easily distinguishable.
- Began implementation of multiple text selections. (Applying paragraph formatting to multiple discrete selections is only partly implemented, likewise drag and drop of the multiple selection.)
- Updated how collections are saved in the editor history, ensuring that changes to the collection are reflected when navigating Backward or Forward in Document History.
- Added a check to help prevent opening a project (.scrivx) file that has been removed from its project folder.
- Adjusted the text of the beta expiry message to clarify that the beta runs through the date named.
- Added a horizontal divider below column headers.
- Edited the tutorial (minor changes).
- Fixed a bug that could cause Scrivener to hang when pasting styled text between projects.
- Fixed a bug whereby pasting text containing a paragraph style into a paragraph with a different style replaced the destination paragraph's style with that of the pasted text.
- Fixed a bug whereby toggling a character style in text already using a paragraph style dropped the paragraph style's character formatting from new text.
- Fixed a bug whereby applying "No Style" to notes text set it to a highlight colour matching the main editor's background colour.
- Fixed a bug whereby Select All Style only selected the first instance when selecting character styles.
- Fixed a bug in composition mode that reset the Styles Panel to the default position and size whenever it was opened via the control bar; the panel's size and position is also now maintained when entering or exiting composition mode.
- Fixed a bug with importing styles whereby choosing to add conflicting styles also imported duplicate styles.
- Fixed a bug whereby the main text formatting wasn't restored after ending an inline footnote when the project was set to use a different font for inline footnotes.
- Fixed a bug whereby imported webpages and .html files were not displaying in the editor. [LH2734]
- Fixed a bug whereby project templates saved from projects with no .scriv extension created incompatible projects that could not open.
- Fixed a bug whereby internal project bookmarks were lost after syncing with iOS. [LH2862]
- Fixed a bug whereby documents loaded in the editor when the project opened did not display their comments and footnotes in the inspector until they were reloaded. [LH2861]
- Fixed a bug whereby an untitled document's auto-title did not display in the dialog prompting to take a snapshot before rolling back to an earlier version.
- Fixed a bug whereby the inspector was not updating to display a copyholder's metadata.
- Fixed a bug whereby Open in Copyholder did not work when the editor was locked.
- Fixed a bug causing Zoom In/Out to always apply to the main editor when the copyholder had focus, and fixed the keyboard shortcuts to work from within the copyholder.
- Fixed a bug whereby the inspector did not update with the copyholder's metadata when the inspector was locked to the main editor.
- Fixed a bug whereby loading a snapshot in the copyholder could adjust the width or height of the copyholder.
- Fixed a bug causing the ruler not to display in copyholders.
- Fixed a bug whereby the inspector did not update when locked to an editor and the editor's contents changed without the editor gaining focus.
- Fixed a bug whereby deleting the last comment or footnote in a document did not clear the content indicator from the comment icon in the inspector header.
- Fixed a bug whereby the date custom metadata popover displayed an offset time/date if "Ignore time zone changes" was set.
- Fixed a bug whereby setting "Ignore time zone changes" for date custom metadata reset the user-entered time to GMT.
- Fixed a bug whereby the current document was not highlighted in the Bookmarks list of the Go To menus.
- Fixed a bug whereby the binder section highlight displayed only as a small rectangle over the label dot when View > Use Label Color In > Binder was enabled but "Show as Background Color in Binder" was not.
- Fixed a bug whereby section highlighting did not appear in the binder when Project Settings was opened via the inspector. [LH2916]
- Fixed a bug whereby loading a webpage in a Quick Reference window added a second footer to the window.
- Fixed a bug whereby closing the Fonts dialog in Composition Mode (and possibly closing other windows) could cause Scrivener to crash. [LH2924]
- Fixed a bug in composition mode causing a truncated context menu after switching documents.
- Fixed a bug preventing the project keywords panel from opening when selected via the inspector ellipsis menu in composition mode or Quick Reference windows.
- Fixed the zoom keyboard shortcuts not working when a PDF was loaded in the editor.
- Fixed a bug whereby the zoom percentage displayed in the editor footer did not update correctly when using the Zoom In/Out shortcuts.
- Fixed a bug whereby script element shortcuts could be triggered whenever a script document was loaded and any menu was open (including in Quick Search). [LH2890]
- Improved the Select Style functionality when selecting adjacent paragraphs with the same style and when selecting text with no style applied.
- Fixed a bug whereby some dictionaries (such as Russian) were not loading. [LH2935]
- Removed the Chinese and Japanese options from the dictionary list, as Hunspell does not natively support these languages. [LH2936]
- Fixed a bug preventing quotes immediately following a double-hyphen from auto-correcting to the smart quote style when double-hyphens were set to convert to em-dashes. [LH2955]
- Fixed a bug that reset the composition mode editor zoom to 100% each time you entered composition mode.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the outline text attribute from being properly saved into styles and caused an inconsistent appearance between text with the attribute newly applied and text loaded after closing and reopening the project.
- Fixed a bug with the Alt+Shift+UpArrow/DownArrow shortcuts (Go To Previous/Next Document) that treated the modifiers individually and caused the document to be opened in the split editor. [LH2645]
- Fixed a bug whereby the Go To > Previous/Next Document commands remained available when a collection was open but the document in the editor was not included in the collection. (Note, this is not fixed yet for the Previous/Next Document buttons in the editor header.)
We are still implementing features and ironing out bugs, so you should expect to find things that aren't working quite as intended. A few issues to be aware of in the current 22.214.171.124 beta:
- When inline or linked notations/footnotes are included in a selection and the selection does not span the entire paragraph, setting No Style (or Remove Style) will strip the linked notation and lose the annotation/footnote formatting of the inline notes unless all text in the selection had a character style applied.
- Though we have the interface set up for the new compiler, it is not yet fully functional.
- Documents in Scrivenings mode cannot currently be edited.
- There is currently a display bug we are still working to fix whereby text in one editor may temporarily disappear after loading or adjusting the text display in a different editor. Resizing the editor will cause the text to reappear.
- Project templates have not yet been updated for 3.0, so are not taking advantage of new features and may have some outdated content.
We have not yet updated the user manual, so the beta still contains the old 1.9.7 manual. We have however included an updated interactive tutorial for 3.0, which we recommend working through to familiarise yourself with the new features.
A Note on Suggestions
At present, our focus is on squashing bugs and on implementing and polishing outstanding features to bring Windows in line with the macOS 3.0 version. To help with this, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!