Autocorrect capitalization error.

ma
marfisk
Platform: Windows

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:56 am Post

This may seem a little thing, but it's subtle enough to make it through edit passes to submission desks (I actually noticed it only after hearing an editor complaining about the error in submission manuscripts).

Basically, it is automatically capitalizing the word after a ! or ? in quotes, even when it is the dialogue tag. It is very adamant about the correction to the point that I ended up sticking a comment on it when I got tired of fighting the change.

Reproduction steps:

Type a line of dialogue:
"George, get the car!" he said.

The "He" should be lowercase because the ! is not end punctuation but rather internal punctuation. This will not always be the case, but automatically correcting it will create many errors when writers are more likely to remember to capitalize the first word of a new sentence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Margaret McGaffey Fisk
Tales to Tide You Over at TTO Publishing
steampunk, fantasy, science fiction, and romance author
http://margaretmcgaffeyfisk.com

ca
cavgirl
Platform: Mac

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:00 am Post

I’ve just noticed this too and it’s driving me nuts. Is this an iOS setting or a Scrivener bug that will be fixed?

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:50 am Post

Have you tried after disabling the setting for Auto-Capitalization at Settings app > Scrivener > Spelling & Substitutions ?
Scrivener user not affiliated with L&L.

ma
marfisk

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:14 am Post

I haven't, but then auto-capitalization is fine in most circumstances. The logic needs to recognize this isn't a correct capitalization. Since it only happens on iPad, the logic must exist (or I have auto-capitalization off on my desktop...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Margaret McGaffey Fisk

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:03 pm Post

I don't know if a developer has control at that level of code for the feature. My post's purpose was for possible troubleshooting usage (didn't know if you'd already disabled it) and to let users know that the feature can be disabled. It does come at the cost of more manual entries. Since Auto-Capitalization seemed to be causing you a great deal of trouble, I thought you might find disabling it (if you hadn't already) worth that cost.

Good Luck.
Scrivener user not affiliated with L&L.

ma
marfisk

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:50 am Post

Possibly not. I don't program iOS, so offering a workaround is useful, thanks. However, it is still a bug and a programmer should address it whether to say it's not possible because of iOS limitations or that it is being researched.

For me, it's annoying but not critical. For the people submitting manuscripts that didn't catch the error, it becomes more pressing, which is why I reported it because not everyone realizes it is an error.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Margaret McGaffey Fisk