Sometimes the extra keyboard Bar doesn't function

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:03 pm Post

I just saw this, not sure how often it happens, iOS 9.3.3 iPad 2.

- be in a document with the extra bar not showing, probably after fiddling with its show button above Backspace, not realizing what it was doing as attention was elsewhere. Probably the project and/or Scrivener was then closed.
- so, you've re-opened Scrivener iOS and the project and document, editing with keyboard. You want the extra bar abilities, so you turn it on.
- in my instance, none of the buttons function, in any set: no font coloring, no insertion of quotes, etc.. Just tap one and nothing happens.

There you are, and best,
Clive

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:23 am Post

Later thought is that this of course could just be another iOS bug for early iPads.

If 9.3.3 might be making us spoiled as so many, and the lag, have gone away...

Cheers, guys...
Clive

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:15 am Post

I'd also check to see if it persists beyond restarting the app. That sounds like the kind of thing that might happen if at some point in the past some minor error occurred in the running instance.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Zi
Zibip
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:12 am Post

Hi,
Not sure if this has been reported yet, but I've discovered that using the 'lookup' feature to see the definition of a word causes the extra keyboard to disappear when you close the lookup window. It's fixed by a couple of taps on the extra keyboard control button (iPad), but just thought it was worth a mention. I couldn't work out why it was randomly disappearing!

Lew
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:21 pm Post

Zibip wrote:Hi,
Not sure if this has been reported yet, but I've discovered that using the 'lookup' feature to see the definition of a word causes the extra keyboard to disappear when you close the lookup window. It's fixed by a couple of taps on the extra keyboard control button (iPad), but just thought it was worth a mention. I couldn't work out why it was randomly disappearing!

Happens to me as well (iPhone 6s, iOS 10.0.1), closing the editor and re-opening it restores the keyboard bar.

P.S. Just updated to iOS 10.0.2, same behavior.
Life is too short to play covers and write fan fiction.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:02 pm Post

So this one turned out to be an iOS bug, and an older one at that (iOS 7). To be clear we're using standard interface toolkit here for both of these ingredients, one Apple feature breaking another, and so we have reported it to Apple as a bug. There might be a workaround, as it looks like some other programs are handling it fine.

Sorry the inconvenience in the meanwhile!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:05 pm Post

AmberV wrote:So this one turned out to be an iOS bug, and an older one at that (iOS 7).

Actually I don't think it's an older bug. When I emailed you yesterday, I said "iOS 7", but it was late and I was mixing up iOS 10 and iPhone 7 - I meant iOS 10!

But yes, as Ioa says, this is an iOS bug and I have sent Apple a bug report along with a sample product that reproduces the problem so that they can see it for themselves. I'm waiting to see if they reply before trying to implement a workaround, because workarounds are quite tough given what that row needs to do.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Zi
Zibip

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:00 pm Post

Hi KB,

Great to have an iOS update, much appreciated. Any word on Scrivener 3??? I guess apple hasn't managed to fix the extended keyboard bug I mentioned above. Any chance of a workaround?