External backup for Scrivener iOS files?

mj
mjw
Platform: Mac

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 am Post

Is there a way to do this? I don't like the idea of dropbox because I heard if the files get corrupted, they do so through all platforms...
I have an external hard drive for my Mac, wanted to try to get the iOS version of scrivener for versatility.
Also, will iOS eventually be updated with the new 3 features?

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:54 am Post

No. The only way to do it is to copy the files from Dropbox to somewhere else.
But Dropbox is a very stable system and unless you doing something wrong yourself it works very well.

The iOS version already works with the version 3 format and did so from the start.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

mikehalloran

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:25 pm Post

Dropbox is for syncing and sharing files. It is not dependable as a backup medium—too many things a user can do to screw up, frankly.

Going back to syncing through Dropbox, make sure that you do so. Keep regular backups of your Mac or PC files and you’re fine.

There are those who insist on keeping their backups solely on Dropbox. They write about it in chat boards. Then later you read their tale of woe how they lost this chapter or that project due to operator error—but, nooooo, backing up onl to Dropbox wasn’t the problem, you see...
Musician, Author, Editor

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:26 pm Post

There is a better way of creating backups in my opinion. If you go to the main project screen and tap the Edit button you’ll find a gear button along the bottom. Tap that, and then select the project you wish to back up and “share” it. This will present a few options based on your configuration. I have an app called “FileApp” (which I think is free) that serves as a general file storage utility. I can stash zipped copies of the project there. But I believe you might also be able to use Apple’s new Files app for that as well. At the least you could email yourself a copy.

I believe the fundamental downside to this is that all of these methods are one-way backups. You can’t actually restore a zipped backup back into Scrivener using nothing but iOS, owing to limitations in the operating system itself. Some utilities (like FileApp) can unzip, but the result is a folder of files that iOS lacks the infrastructure to send as a whole unit to another app. (It’s a bit of a curious limitation, since you can readily send folder/package formats to iOS from a Mac with AirDrop, so it’s not like this is impossible for Apple to implement, they already have—it’s just not allowed.)

But that aside, it is a safer way of keeping redundant copies completely outside of any cloud mechanisms and the Scrivener app storage area.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

(j
(jai)

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:16 pm Post

AmberV wrote:There is a better way of creating backups in my opinion. If you go to the main project screen and tap the Edit button you’ll find a gear button along the bottom. Tap that, and then select the project you wish to back up and “share” it. This will present a few options based on your configuration. I have an app called “FileApp” (which I think is free) that serves as a general file storage utility. I can stash zipped copies of the project there. But I believe you might also be able to use Apple’s new Files app for that as well. At the least you could email yourself a copy.

I believe the fundamental downside to this is that all of these methods are one-way backups. You can’t actually restore a zipped backup back into Scrivener using nothing but iOS, owing to limitations in the operating system itself. Some utilities (like FileApp) can unzip, but the result is a folder of files that iOS lacks the infrastructure to send as a whole unit to another app. (It’s a bit of a curious limitation, since you can readily send folder/package formats to iOS from a Mac with AirDrop, so it’s not like this is impossible for Apple to implement, they already have—it’s just not allowed.)

But that aside, it is a safer way of keeping redundant copies completely outside of any cloud mechanisms and the Scrivener app storage area.

I use FileApp and backup zips just as you do. However, you can import them back to Scrivener:

Tap to unzip
Tap to open folder
Long press on the .scriv file
Choose “Actions” from the menu
Choose “Open in Scrivener”

I’ve used this to go back to a previous version of my work, but doing this may overide the existing project so use with caution. :|

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:36 pm Post

Oh great to hear! That wasn’t working at all the last time I tried it, but come to think of it, I haven’t tried since iOS 11. Perhaps Apple has finally updated the sharing infrastructure to handle package/folder formats now that they have their own file management interface.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

mj
mjw

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:21 am Post

AmberV wrote:There is a better way of creating backups in my opinion. If you go to the main project screen and tap the Edit button you’ll find a gear button along the bottom. Tap that, and then select the project you wish to back up and “share” it. This will present a few options based on your configuration. I have an app called “FileApp” (which I think is free) that serves as a general file storage utility. I can stash zipped copies of the project there. But I believe you might also be able to use Apple’s new Files app for that as well. At the least you could email yourself a copy.

I will have to check out that app! Your a lifesaver! Does that app use your iPads memory or is it like a cloud storage? And does one have to backup that way manually every time?
Last edited by mjw on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

mj
mjw

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:21 am Post

(jai) wrote:

I use FileApp and backup zips just as you do. However, you can import them back to Scrivener:

Tap to unzip
Tap to open folder
Long press on the .scriv file
Choose “Actions” from the menu
Choose “Open in Scrivener”

I’ve used this to go back to a previous version of my work, but doing this may overide the existing project so use with caution. :|

Thank you for providing those instructions!

ma
matsgz

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:39 am Post

AmberV wrote:I have an app called “FileApp” ... I can stash zipped copies of the project there. But I believe you might also be able to use Apple’s new Files app for that as well ...

I believe the fundamental downside to this is that all of these methods are one-way backups.

For keeping zipped copies of the project Apple's new Files app works fine, and I find it an easier and smoother process than using FileApp. I store the zips in a designated Scrivener back up folder at iCloud Drive, where I can easily reach them on my Mac. The downside of course is that I can't open the backed up project on my iPad or iPhone, for that I suppose FileApp is the solution.
Scribo ergo sum