Syncing Scrivener on iOS takes a long time

si
sidderke
Platform: Mac

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:07 pm Post

Let's not forget that user 'mijalce' on this forum did an elaborate test in http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=255195#p255195 in which, if I read it correctly, he synced a 32MB project in Scrivener 3 and Scrivener 2.8 format. The same project, updated to Scrivener 3. One took 12 seconds, the other 3.5 minutes. (more details in his post)
It's at least worth checking for support if this is a bug, rather then something that suddenly unavoidable thing.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:27 pm Post

To me it still seems that there is something completely different going on, causing the communication with the dropbox server to come to a halt. This kind of sudden halt have happened to me a few times, in various stages of the sync process. If one just waits, the process usually time out after quite a while. If one instead press cancel and re-start the syncing, everything works as usual. My guess is that some hickup in the communication with the dropbox server made it temporarily unavailable.

Have you tested to cancel the operation that takes such a long time and re-start the syncing?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

si
sidderke

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:39 pm Post

I did, and it didn't solve it for me.

I've had your problem, the time-out crash, but only very very few times (and retrying helped) and if I had bad internet. So that hasn't been a big issue for me.
Maybe these 2 issues have the same core problem going on, or maybe they are unrelated. Difficult to tell at this point.

I also noticed that syncing on my iPhone, even if it's only a couple of kilobyte, takes about 3 minutes on my iPhone 8 Plus (it's the Downloading File List that takes so long. The syncing itself happens just as quickly as ever) and on my older iPad Air it can take up to 10 minutes sometimes.
The same folder with the same projects took only seconds on both devices, and was instantaneous before upgrading to Scrivener 3 format.

is
istara

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:06 am Post

sidderke wrote:I also noticed that syncing on my iPhone, even if it's only a couple of kilobyte, takes about 3 minutes on my iPhone 8 Plus (it's the Downloading File List that takes so long. The syncing itself happens just as quickly as ever) and on my older iPad Air it can take up to 10 minutes sometimes.

Exactly. Plus the initial check for what needs updating is instant.

Are we certain that Scrivener isn't checking through every file in every folder/every .scriv, rather than the single .scriv project it needs to update? Because this is what it feels like it's doing.

lunk

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:16 am Post

istara wrote:Are we certain that Scrivener isn't checking through every file in every folder/every .scriv, rather than the single .scriv project it needs to update? Because this is what it feels like it's doing.

Why would it do that in your case and not for everyone else? The only way to find out exactly why this is happening for you would be to replicate exactly what you are doing, with similar equipment and exactly the same projects.

I don’t remember if the question has been asked before, but does your sync folder in Dropbox contain anything else apart from the .scriv projects? Any subfolders?
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

sh
shenzo

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:54 am Post

My set up is the following:
Scrivener iOS 1.1.5
Scrivener for Mac 3.0.1
Scrivener for Mac 2.9
12 projects (1 is 1GB, 3/4 others are 150MB and the rest <50MB.) in dropbox
Back up in local folder

I have the same problem since Scrivener 3.0. My projects were created with a trial of Scrivener for Mac 2.9 but I have mainly worked on them on Scrivener for iOS. The syncing was swift and unintrusive, which led me to buy 3.0 for Mac and upgrade my projects to 3.0. Since then, 'downloading files list' is taking a significantly longer time. I have tried downgrading to 2.9 and even with a project that is 1GB big, it only takes up to 15/20 sec to update it. The SAME project upgraded to 3.0 takes more than 5 minutes to open. I have also noticed that 'updating search' is faster on 2.9 projects.

For now and until this is resolved, Scrivener 3.0 is just not practical for me. I just bought my license but I will use 2.9 as the ability to smoothly sync back and forth with iOS is a primordial feature for me and I can't wait 5 minutes for my projects to be updated. Hope a solution will be found for this.

is
istara

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:08 am Post

lunk wrote:
istara wrote:Are we certain that Scrivener isn't checking through every file in every folder/every .scriv, rather than the single .scriv project it needs to update? Because this is what it feels like it's doing.

Why would it do that in your case and not for everyone else? The only way to find out exactly why this is happening for you would be to replicate exactly what you are doing, with similar equipment and exactly the same projects.

I don’t remember if the question has been asked before, but does your sync folder in Dropbox contain anything else apart from the .scriv projects? Any subfolders?

Nothing, and I newly created it. Are there people with large amounts of large scriv files that aren't seeing this? Eg I have 41 files in there, some of which are pretty large. According to my experiments, the more files I put in there, the progressively slower it got - to update a *single* file, even a small one. And the thing it always takes ages on is the Checking Files, not the actual sync.

lunk

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:25 pm Post

istara wrote:
lunk wrote:If you have a lot of projects in the sync folder you fill up the memory in your iPad as well, which might also slow things down.

I can't see how this could be the case, since it was fine before. The iPad I use is the 10.5" iPad Pro (not sure of RAM, but with 256 GB total memory, of which 184 GB is currently free) which I bought earlier this year.

I previously used Scrivener iOS on the iPad Air 2 - which I assume would have less RAM and has only 128 GB space, with 74 GB free)- and still never encountered this issue.

The RAM you are referring to is the iPad equivalent of HD on the Mac, not it's working RAM. So it doesn't matter if you have a lot of free storage space on the iPad if Scrivener fills up the working RAM and processor capacity. I don't know how iOS Scrivener works internally but many iOS apps have to load all their related data into the working RAM to be able to work with those files. So I would guess there is som inherent limitations in iOS Scrivener that you don't have in Mac Scrivener.

If having a lot of projects synced to the iPad causes long delays in the syncing, a logic conclusion would be to move most of the projects out of the sync folder. I have one Scrivener Projects folder on my Mac (and hence also on the Dropbox server) which apart from all my Scrivener projects also contains a subfolder called Active Projects, and that subfolder is the one I sync with my iDevices. When I want to work on a specific project on my iPad, I simply move the project down to the subfolder, either using my Mac or using the Dropbox app on my iPad.

I just tested some moving and when I was a bit too quick to move from my Mac to my iPad it appears that Dropbox server wasn't quite done, in spite of the green tick in Finder, I got the delayed "file list" reaction on the iPad and also a syncing error. I then went back to the Mac, opened the projects, closed them again, waited a minute, then opened Scrivener on the iPad and everything worked as expected.

is
istara

Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:57 am Post

lunk wrote:If having a lot of projects synced to the iPad causes long delays in the syncing, a logic conclusion would be to move most of the projects out of the sync folder.

Of course, but 1. it previously worked fine having all those projects in there, and 2. I actually need most of those projects!

lunk

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:03 am Post

istara wrote:Of course, but 1. it previously worked fine having all those projects in there, and 2. I actually need most of those projects!

... which indicates that foing back to v 2 seems to be a logical solution, at least until you get information from L&L saying that they actually have found a bug, and fixed it. Or buy a Macbook and run Scrivener on it. That would eliminate all problems.

is
istara

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:18 am Post

lunk wrote:Or buy a Macbook and run Scrivener on it. That would eliminate all problems.

I run Scrivener on an iPad and a MBP - the point is that I am mobile/on the go/away from my desk most of the time. The beauty of iOS is that I can simply carry my iPad around and work fully productively on that. Which I can still do, except now there's this infernal lag on "Checking file list".

I'm not sure it's even possible to downgrade to an earlier version, is it?

lunk

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:02 pm Post

Yes it is.
You can have both v2 and v3 on the same computer and alternate between them. I renamed my v2 to Scrivener2 before installing v3. V3 projects can be exported in v2 format and both formats are readable and syncable with iOS Scrivener, as you know. :)

Zi
Zibip

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:28 am Post

Hi, just wanted to add my voice to those with syncing issues. Currently using an iPad (4th gen) and had no problems with syncing to 2.x projects, it usually took a matter of seconds to deal with changes I made to any of my six projects, which total about 550Mb. After upgrading to 3, it seems to take ages. Today I went to sync changes to a single file and it took five and a half minutes and the project hadn't been opened on the Mac. Five and a half minutes to upload one text file to Dropbox? Something must be wrong.

sh
shenzo

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:44 pm Post

Zibip wrote:Hi, just wanted to add my voice to those with syncing issues. Currently using an iPad (4th gen) and had no problems with syncing to 2.x projects, it usually took a matter of seconds to deal with changes I made to any of my six projects, which total about 550Mb. After upgrading to 3, it seems to take ages. Today I went to sync changes to a single file and it took five and a half minutes and the project hadn't been opened on the Mac. Five and a half minutes to upload one text file to Dropbox? Something must be wrong.

Yes I have had the same exact experience since upgrading to 3.0. Which is why I have downgraded back to 2.x. It is not actually about the amount of projects or files within a project. The syncing time itself is actually dazzling fast. It is the 'Downloading Files List" prep that takes forever: what used to take 15sec max for my specific configuration of # of projects and # files, now takes more than 5 min. That's about 20x the amount of time. Really hope this can be resolved in an acceptable way. 3.0 looks amazing but all things considered it is a big step back for me if I can't sync in a 'reasonable' amount of time.

sh
shalnya
Platform: Windows

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:02 pm Post

For anyone still experiencing this problem, I just wanted to say that I've been seeing similar delays on iOS sync for the last month. I have 2 "big" projects (~150mb each, ~5000 files) and one "medium" (~120mb, 500 files). In addition to delays of sometimes over 5 minutes where the app was stuck on "downloading files list", sync would often fail with an error message that "file ######### does not exist". I finally got sick of it yesterday and checked through the .scriv files, where I found some conflicted files in 2 of the 3 projects. The conflicted files included the .scrivx, search.indexes, binder.autosave, binder.backup and docs.checksum, When I removed all extra conflicted files, suddenly the "downloading files list" step was taking only ~30 seconds and most of the sync time was spend actually downloading updated files.

Hope this can help some of those who are still having problems.