Scrivener won’t sync to dropbox

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:02 pm Post

The projects in the 'On My iPad' section of your Projects screen won't sync because you've told them not to. Move them to the 'Dropbox' section. To do so, tap 'Edit' above the Projects list, then drag and drop.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Gs
Gsharzer
Platform: iOS

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:24 pm Post

I really have to check the ‘notify’ button below :) Thanks for your fast advice,

To reply... I can move projects to and from scrivener and dropbox, using the edit method as suggested. But it only appears in one of them. When I move it to dropbox it disappears from the app; when I move it back to Scrivener, it disappears from dropbox. In both cases, I hit ‘sync’ and nothing happens. (Previously, I used to leave it in the app, hit ‘sync’, it copied itself to dropbox and remained in the app as well.) Is there another way to tell Scrivener to sync that I’m missing?

A screenshot of the settings is attached.

Cheers,

Greg
Attachments
BD596277-95B3-4955-B92E-8208BDD950D4.png
BD596277-95B3-4955-B92E-8208BDD950D4.png (215.53 KiB) Viewed 1454 times

kewms

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:40 pm Post

Gsharzer wrote:To reply... I can move projects to and from scrivener and dropbox, using the edit method as suggested. But it only appears in one of them. When I move it to dropbox it disappears from the app; when I move it back to Scrivener, it disappears from dropbox. In both cases, I hit ‘sync’ and nothing happens. (Previously, I used to leave it in the app, hit ‘sync’, it copied itself to dropbox and remained in the app as well.) Is there another way to tell Scrivener to sync that I’m missing?

I am confused. Both the "On my iPad" and the "Dropbox" sections of the Project list are still "in" the iOS Scrivener app. And if "moving to Dropbox" causes the project to "disappear," how are you "moving it back?"

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:29 pm Post

If nothing happens when you hit the sync icon on the iPad it’s because the projects are already synced.

What you see in the Projects view is the projects you have on your iPad, inside Scrivener, and the difference between the two parts (Dropbox vs On my iPad) is that the projects in the upper part are copied two the Dropbox server, to the folder you specified in the settings.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Gs
Gsharzer
Platform: iOS

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:02 pm Post

Yup, you both cracked it. I was misunderstanding the interface; I knew ‘editing in dropbox’ was bad, but I didn’t realize ‘in dropbox’ meant still on the app as well. I thought it was one or the other. So, when I moved the project (between ‘dropbox’ and ‘on my ipad’) I was adding it to dropbox, and then deleting it. Two or three times. Now, when I leave it dropbox, it syncs as usual. I was confused by there being versions of some projects in both categories, and some in 1.

Anyhow, it’s nice to know there is no problem and I can continue to back up as before. Thanks for your patience, Katherine and lunk!

Greg

kewms

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:49 pm Post

Gsharzer wrote:Yup, you both cracked it. I was misunderstanding the interface; I knew ‘editing in dropbox’ was bad, but I didn’t realize ‘in dropbox’ meant still on the app as well.

"Editing in Dropbox," in the sense of directly editing one of your project's component files via the Dropbox web interface, is bad.

Using Scrivener to edit a project that happens to be copied to the Dropbox server is fine.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ge
Geopoliticus

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:50 pm Post

Sharksbyte wrote:Hi you all here
I too have this problem right now. for the past week. My most recent project (including a "test project" I just now created to see if it too did NOT show up in my dropbox) does not show in the Dropbox 'recent files' pane. Neither on the MacBookAir where I am now mostly working nor on the iPhone. Not sure if the problem is in the DB side or the Scrivener side. Where I thought would more automatically sync. I checked in Backups and the recent work IS there
I think I love Scrivener since I can now finally digitize/organize my scattered handwritten notebook attempts at publishing writing. I am still (more than a year) trying to be persistent on a committed learning curve with using Scrivener and I move around a bit away from my desktop PC, via thisMacBook Air and iPhone.
I do have Scrivener 2.8 and Dropbox 40.4.46. I hope it is something simple I am just not doing right.
Thank You

I have re-saved a project started on Scrivener 2.0 under the new Scrivener 3.0 with a new file name, but that new file does not sync with Dropbox through the Scrivener iOS app. My older Scrivener 2.0 projects still sync though. Does the iOS app also need to be updated to accept Scrivener 3.0 generated or saved projects?

kewms

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:17 pm Post

Geopoliticus wrote:I have re-saved a project started on Scrivener 2.0 under the new Scrivener 3.0 with a new file name, but that new file does not sync with Dropbox through the Scrivener iOS app. My older Scrivener 2.0 projects still sync though. Does the iOS app also need to be updated to accept Scrivener 3.0 generated or saved projects?

Yes, please make sure you have the latest version of iOS Scrivener.

Also, make sure that the Scrivener 3 version of the project is saved in the same folder as your successfully syncing projects.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

tx
txmccoy

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:51 pm Post

Geopoliticus wrote:
Sharksbyte wrote:Hi you all here
I too have this problem right now. for the past week. My most recent project (including a "test project" I just now created to see if it too did NOT show up in my dropbox) does not show in the Dropbox 'recent files' pane. Neither on the MacBookAir where I am now mostly working nor on the iPhone. Not sure if the problem is in the DB side or the Scrivener side. Where I thought would more automatically sync. I checked in Backups and the recent work IS there
I think I love Scrivener since I can now finally digitize/organize my scattered handwritten notebook attempts at publishing writing. I am still (more than a year) trying to be persistent on a committed learning curve with using Scrivener and I move around a bit away from my desktop PC, via thisMacBook Air and iPhone.
I do have Scrivener 2.8 and Dropbox 40.4.46. I hope it is something simple I am just not doing right.
Thank You

I have re-saved a project started on Scrivener 2.0 under the new Scrivener 3.0 with a new file name, but that new file does not sync with Dropbox through the Scrivener iOS app. My older Scrivener 2.0 projects still sync though. Does the iOS app also need to be updated to accept Scrivener 3.0 generated or saved projects?

My iOS issues continue to the point I've deleted the app and given up. Until then, it's Mac only or moving on. I'm confident the issue will be addressed in future updates. Hope springs eternal.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:11 pm Post

txmccoy wrote:My iOS issues continue to the point I've deleted the app and given up. Until then, it's Mac only or moving on. I'm confident the issue will be addressed in future updates. Hope springs eternal.

Why not simply solve the problem? There is nothing to fix. I have been running iOS Scrivener since its release without problems.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:30 pm Post

Because there seems to be a disconnect in what you're asking vs what we're suggesting, I'm going to break it down as best I can and hope something clicks. There seem to be two issues that need addressing:

1. How do I upgrade a project from mac version 2 to the mac version 3 format?
2. How do I set up a project up to sync with the iOS version of Scrivener (which has already been set up to sync with Dropbox)?

How do I upgrade a project from mac version 2 to the mac version 3 software?

Simply put, you open Scrivener 3, then go to File->Open and navigate to the project that needs updating. Open it, and Scrivener will automatically create a copy of the old project, adding "backup" to the name, and then proceed to upgrading the project in place.

If you are doing this for a project in your iOS-syncing Dropbox folder*, then follow these steps for best results:
  1. Pause dropbox. Google "how to pause dropbox on a mac" if you can't figure this out on your own.
  2. Open the project located in the Dropbox folder using Scrivener 3 and let it do its thing.
  3. Drag the "backup" copy of the project somewhere else for safe-keeping
  4. Un-pause dropbox and let is completely sync on your computer.
  5. Go to Scrivener on iOS and make it sync.

* Note that this is the folder you set up to sync with iOS. The default is Dropbox\Apps\Scrivener, but you could have chosen a different folder if you wanted.

How do I set up a project up to sync with the iOS version of Scrivener?

Assuming you've already set up Dropbox Sync on your iOS Scrivener app, but the project on your Mac isn't already syncing with iOS, do the following:
  1. Locate your Dropbox ios folder in the Finder.
  2. Close Scrivener.
  3. Drag the project into the Dropbox folder you're using to sync with Scrivener for iOS.
  4. Let Dropbox on your Mac sync
  5. Open iOS Scrivener and make it sync.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".