Scrivener won’t sync to dropbox

Gs
Gsharzer
Platform: iOS

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:17 am Post

I’ve read the basic and in-depth knowledge base posts but can’t seem to find an answer to this question, so here goes.

I installed ios11 and then discovered scrivener wasn’t syncing automatically to dropbox. When I sync manually, I get a “Dropbox is up to date” message, which disappears almost immediately. But still no syncing.

I took the following steps, which may or may not be relevant:

- de- and re-linked dropbox a number of times.
- made sure both scrivener and dropbox are using the same dropbox account
- deleted my (old, outdated) copy of the project off dropbox
- made sure there’s enough space in dropbox

Anyone have any ideas?

Greg

devinganger
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:05 pm Post

Uninstall and reinstall the Dropbox application on your device? I found mine wasn't talking to Dropbox anymore as they had updated something behind the scenes -- my Mac and Windows devices got prompted to re-establish their connections, but my mobile devices didn't.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets

Gs
Gsharzer
Platform: iOS

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:22 pm Post

Thanks for the suggestion Devin - I tried that but no luck, unfortunately. It synces one earlier project I have, but not the one I’m working on currently. I may have to abandon Scrivener if this keeps up, as it’s a little freaky working without an online backup.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:13 pm Post

1. How do you know that Scrivener didn¨t upload any changed files to the Dropbox server?
2. The project that doesn’t sync, was it created on your iDevice and did you then put it in the Dropbox area in the Projects pane. A screenshot of your Projects pane would really help.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:54 pm Post

I second lunk's question about how you know the project isn't syncing.

One way to investigate the question is to create a test project, then check the original device, your Dropbox account (via a web browser), and each synced device to see exactly where the changes *don't* appear.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

is
istara

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:20 am Post

When I reinstalled Scrivener, it seemed to lose direction to my Scrivs folder (which was in a custom place, not the default location on DropBox).

I moved everything to the default location - since it seemed impossible to manually redirect Scrivener back to the original folder - and it worked again.

So just check it's actually syncing the correct folder. It may have created a new, empty folder and is looking there.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:51 pm Post

istara wrote:When I reinstalled Scrivener, it seemed to lose direction to my Scrivs folder (which was in a custom place, not the default location on DropBox).

If you delete and then re-install an iOS app, it says very clearly that you delete all in-app data as well, somof course the newly installed app doesn’t know where the previous installation saved its files. You could simply have told the app again to look in the right Dropbox folder:

Edit, gear wheel at the bottom, Dropbox settings.