Icon for iOS

theswede
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:37 pm Post

The website is pretty for looking at, indeed. Using, not so much. Kind of like the icon, which is rather ... odd yet nondescript.

I'll probably get used to the icon though, and I'm working on a CSS to make the website readable again. It's a bit messy underneath, so not so easy to put together, but I'm getting there.

Di
DistinctlyMe
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:39 pm Post

alexomagic wrote:Interesting to read all the different views on icon design! In my opinion the new icon for both Mac and iOS are beautiful and modern. We all will get accustomed to them in a few years. Meanwhile I'll eventually revert to my own Scrivener Icon derived from the original Ying-Yang. Unfortunately this is not going to work on iOS.

Your personal icon is a very nice design! A (very) slightly thicker black line extending to, and over, the top would create a subtle S.

Personally, when I hear "minimalist design," it's nails on chalkboard. The term is overused, rarely done right, and right up there with "Xxxxxx just got better." Minimalist can be a beautiful thing, but it doesn't necessarily mean better. Sometimes, it's just ... less.

For me, it's not about being attached to the old design and not wanting it to change. I agree that it needed a refresh. This new icon simply looks broken. I know, it's all personal taste, but blech. Every time I look at it, it looks like something my 14-year old nephew or the tech guy could make playing around with Photoshop. I actually checked for iOS updates again this morning before posting my first comment thinking that there'd be an update to fix it.

I don't use the app for the icon, so I guess it matters little. For what it's worth, the S, itself, is very nice.

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:41 pm Post

De gustibus non est disputandem.

Learned that lesson in the iOS Scrivener beta... :D Regarding the icon—when I tap on it, it launches. No problem finding it. Regarding the website—hate the forum font, but not willing to install an extension to change it. Otherwise... it looks more modern. I suppose that in itself is valuable, for who wants to buy something from a stodgy looking website?
So you know where I'm coming from:
• I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
• Mac Scrivener 2.9 & 3.0.0, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)
• iOS Scrivener 1.1.4, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.2

re
reepicheep

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:52 pm Post

The new iOS icon is borked! It is misaligned within the icon square being shifted to the right rather than centered and also shift down causing the bottom curve of the letter to be sliced off.
Techie details in case I forget

Scrivener 2.8.1.2 (26324)
Mac OS X 10.8.5 (mostly)
Scrivener 1.1.1 (20170800)
iOS 9.3.5/11

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:41 am Post

reepicheep wrote:The new iOS icon is borked! It is misaligned within the icon square being shifted to the right rather than centered and also shift down causing the bottom curve of the letter to be sliced off.

I hate to tell you this, but I think that's by design not accident! :D (Rule Number Five of brand identity: changes in logos and icons are always controversial - just ask the man in the UK who designed both the BBC and Channel 4 logos, which were very controversial when launched in the 80s and 90s but which have now survived in evolved forms for several decades, and have become embedded in the audiences' perceptions of the channels. Incidentally - I think the L&L brand-ident animation topping the new Scrivener 3 videos is very good. )
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

xiamenese

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:48 am Post

Hugh wrote:I hate to tell you this, but I think that's by design not accident! :D (Rule Number Five of brand identity: changes in logos and icons are always controversial - just ask the man in the UK who designed both the BBC and Channel 4 logos, which were very controversial when launched in the 80s and 90s but which have now survived in evolved forms for several decades, and have become embedded in the audiences' perceptions of the channels. Incidentally - I think the L&L brand-ident animation topping the new Scrivener 3 videos is very good. )

:D I shall keep an eye out to see how long it will take for other developers to follow LL's lead is using a 'misaligned' icon! :lol:

Mark
The Scrivenerato sometimes known as Mr X.
MacBook Pro Retina 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MacBook Pro 17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Ar
Arkhaiel

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:17 pm Post

The icon is absolutely fine. The iOS app is kind of a zoom of the macOS version, and we get that when we compare macOS and iOS icon design. I love them, and I'm sad when I see ppl who focus on a simple icon when the whole software behind is amazing !

re
reepicheep

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:31 pm Post

Hugh wrote:
reepicheep wrote:The new iOS icon is borked! It is misaligned within the icon square being shifted to the right rather than centered and also shift down causing the bottom curve of the letter to be sliced off.

I hate to tell you this, but I think that's by design not accident! :…
Then the design is clearlyto make Scrivener for iOS look utterly slapdash and unprofessional. We know that it is neither but that's the effect of this redesign.

Mac OS X 10.8.5 (mostly)
iOS 9.3.5/11

lunk

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:41 pm Post

reepicheep wrote:Then the design is clearlyto make Scrivener for iOS look utterly slapdash and unprofessional. We know that it is neither but that's the effect of this redesign.

It makes Scrivener look ... different.

It's an app that is different and the people behind think differently. Hmm... that seems to ring a bell. Now where did I hear that before...

Think different. :)

KB
Site Admin

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:35 pm Post

reepicheep wrote:Then the design is clearlyto make Scrivener for iOS look utterly slapdash and unprofessional. We know that it is neither but that's the effect of this redesign.

In your opinion... Which, unless I missed the newsletter, is not yet objective fact. :)

Maybe someone should write to Facebook and tell them that their iOS icon is misaligned, too?
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Ar
Arkhaiel

Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:37 pm Post

Many ppl love the new icons and the v3 of Scrivener as well. It's the most important, isn't it ? =D
(And the new website/forum ! Aaaah I love everything released on monday !)

re
reepicheep

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:20 pm Post

KB wrote:In your opinion... Which, unless I missed the newsletter, is not yet objective fact. :)
Then again I used to be of the opinion that L&L were good at support for a great product. Just as subjective.

Mac OS X 10.8.5 (mostly)
iOS 9.3.5/11

devinganger

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:03 am Post

reepicheep wrote:
KB wrote:In your opinion... Which, unless I missed the newsletter, is not yet objective fact. :)
Then again I used to be of the opinion that L&L were good at support for a great product. Just as subjective.

You do realize that this appears to boil down to:

R: My opinion is fact!
L: No, in fact, it is an opinion.
R: You suck!

Which is not a good look.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets

re
reepicheep

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:10 am Post

devinganger wrote:
reepicheep wrote:

You do realize that this appears to boil down to:

R: My opinion is fact!
L: No, in fact, it is an opinion.
R: You suck!

Which is not a good look.
One of two: "the customer is always correct" or the new icon looks suspiciously plagiarised from that of the Sauber Formula 1 racing team … or both.

Mac OS X 10.8.5 (mostly)
iOS 9.3.5/11

devinganger

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:36 am Post

Funny how it's always an unhappy customer who trots out "the customer is always correct."

This customer likes the icon just fine.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets