iOS 11 and DropBox Syncing Issues

kewms
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:55 pm Post

Have you inspected the project to see *why* it is so huge? Until you identify the root cause, creating additional copies of the project is unlikely to help.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:27 pm Post

And no. 1 step, turn of WiFi and any other internet connection until you have solved the problem, so the dropbox app on your Mac doesn’t instantly mirror everything you do in your Dropbox folder on your Mac
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

dr
drdcm45

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:03 pm Post

Outside of locating the files in Finder, I do not know how to inspect the files. I am sorry I am so ignorant. I used to consider myself somewhat tech facile, but I am being humbled. Is there a way to inspect the file while it is open in scrivener?

I think turning off the WiFi is a good idea, once I have a plan clear in my mind. I appreciate your patience and help.

lunk

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:20 pm Post

A Scrivener project is not a file. It is a folder looking like a file in Finder. Apple calls it a package.
Right-click on the project in Finder and choose Reveal package content. Then identify what you have in your package that gives you such gigantic projects.
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

dr
drdcm45

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:38 pm Post

Thank you so much! I have done this and found three HUGE photo libraries!!!
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 5.27.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 5.27.12 PM.png (54.99 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
These were all created at the same time. I have no idea how!
I think duplicating my ENTIRE photo library THREE times could be a problem. Not only that, my hard drive is about to get a lot lighter.
Now, once I remove these files, how do I go about not propagating this from iOS?

dr
drdcm45

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 pm Post

Now, a civilized file! :)
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 5.53.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 5.53.11 PM.png (350.19 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

kewms

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:03 am Post

drdcm45 wrote:Thank you so much! I have done this and found three HUGE photo libraries!!! Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 5.27.12 PM.png These were all created at the same time. I have no idea how!
I think duplicating my ENTIRE photo library THREE times could be a problem. Not only that, my hard drive is about to get a lot lighter.
Now, once I remove these files, how do I go about not propagating this from iOS?

Yeah, that would be a problem... I helped another person in a similar situation, In that case, they were attempting to import just *one* image into the project, and an errant drag-and-drop brought the entire library along for the ride.

Once the slimmed-down project syncs to Dropbox, iOS Scrivener should recognize it as the newer version and all should be well. I'd recommend taking an extra backup on the Mac side, though, so that you can recover easily if something untoward happens.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

dr
drdcm45

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:04 am Post

Thanks for your help

Fa
Faith4vincera
Platform: iOS

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:39 pm Post

I had this issue too, but was able to resolve!

On the Home screen where all of your projects are listed, you might notice that the left navigation pane separates projects saved to your iPad vs. projects saved to Dropbox. DropBox syncing seems to only work for project saved to Dropbox!

To resolve this, click Edit on the top of the pane, and then drag your project from On iPad up to Dropbox.

(I am seeing in your screenshots that your project is saved On Your IPad, so hopefully this resolution will help.... HOWEVER,,, L&L might want to look into this! We should definitely be able to keep local copies of our work. I am going to test offline to see if I can access my work without a data connection)

lunk

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:43 pm Post

Faith4vincera wrote: HOWEVER,,, L&L might want to look into this! We should definitely be able to keep local copies of our work. I am going to test offline to see if I can access my work without a data connection

Everything is on your iPad. ”Syncing” only means that your projects are uploaded/downloaded to/from the Dropbox server as well.

Fa
Faith4vincera
Platform: iOS

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:02 pm Post

Thank you @lunk ... I do know what syncing is. If what you‘re saying were to be the case, then the two - on iPad vs in Dropbox should not be separated. That is very misleading and could cause confusion. I just did my test, and got synchronization errors when opening and closing the project when not connected to WiFi or Data.

Anyway, for the time being, the resolution to the issue seems to be to move your projects to the Dropbox list instead of ‘On My iPad’.

lunk

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:32 pm Post

So what would you call the section that is not synced with Dropbox?

kewms

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:01 pm Post

Faith4vincera wrote:I had this issue too, but was able to resolve!

On the Home screen where all of your projects are listed, you might notice that the left navigation pane separates projects saved to your iPad vs. projects saved to Dropbox. DropBox syncing seems to only work for project saved to Dropbox!

To resolve this, click Edit on the top of the pane, and then drag your project from On iPad up to Dropbox.

(I am seeing in your screenshots that your project is saved On Your IPad, so hopefully this resolution will help.... HOWEVER,,, L&L might want to look into this! We should definitely be able to keep local copies of our work. I am going to test offline to see if I can access my work without a data connection)

This is the expected behavior.

Projects in the 'Dropbox' section exist on the iPad AND are synchronized with Dropbox. Projects in the 'On the iPad' section exist ONLY on the iPad.

Why? Among other things, the 'On the iPad' section is a 'safe' storage area that won't be affected by any connectivity issues that might be afflicting your Dropbox account. It's also a good place for projects that, for whatever reason, you *don't* want to share with other devices.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

kewms

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:04 pm Post

Faith4vincera wrote:Thank you @lunk ... I do know what syncing is. If what you‘re saying were to be the case, then the two - on iPad vs in Dropbox should not be separated. That is very misleading and could cause confusion. I just did my test, and got synchronization errors when opening and closing the project when not connected to WiFi or Data.

Yes, attempting to synchronize the project without internet access will fail, and Scrivener will tell you that it failed.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team