iOS 11 and DropBox Syncing Issues

ro
ronkochanowski
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:37 pm Post

I began this conversation in “iOS 11 support of ‘files app’” and decided to move it into a thread of its own as the issue seems to be a bit different from the subject spoken of there.

I use Scrivener in a business setting for all of my writing, note taking, etc. and have been for some time now without any issue. I am set to sync between my iMac at home, my Windows laptop at work, and my iPad which has become my draft workhorse. The syncing is done through DropBox as described in various documents provided by Literature and Latte. For roughly two years this setup has been working flawlessly.

At the beginning of this month, roughly Oct. 5th, I upgraded my iPad to iOS 11. I’ve continued working as before, thinking that everything was still in sync. I wanted to use the iMac so that I could combine some additional details to a document and found that it was last updated in September. I checked the Windows laptop and found the same thing. The DropBox apps all showed that the file hadn’t been updated, including the online interface. Yet, on the iPad, the file was current as of yesterday (at this point).

Digging in further here’s what I’ve found, accompanied with screen shots:
This indicates that Scrivener appears to be syncing with DropBox...

DropBox_Files.PNG
DropBox_Files.PNG (256.88 KiB) Viewed 363 times

...but DropBox reflects that the file was last updated a month ago...

DropBox_from_iPad_Files.PNG
DropBox_from_iPad_Files.PNG (233.14 KiB) Viewed 363 times

...and DropBox through the iOS Files app concurs with the DropBox app, last update a month ago...So, where are all of my synced files going???...

On_My_iPad_Files.PNG
On_My_iPad_Files.PNG (235.39 KiB) Viewed 363 times

...They are being stored in the iPad and NOT being synced with DropBox.

I'm not sure of what's going on in the code, but it seems to me that if the Document Storage setting for Scrivener doesn't include DropBox as an option, then I'm not going to be able to sync my files so that they can be used across platforms as intended. Either that or a recent DropBox update broke the syncing process. Either way, syncing with DropBox is not working...and I can't find a setting that will allow me to enable it to begin working again.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:45 pm Post

Did you do the tutorial in iOS Scrivener?

In Scrivener, the project screen, tap Edit and then the gear wheel at the bottom and you reach the Dropbox settings. Select the Dropbox folder where you want your projects stored on the Dropbox server. Close, and then tap the sync icon.
Done.

ro
ronkochanowski

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:16 pm Post

@lunk

Yes, I read the tutorial set up accordingly when iOS was released. This setting was showing that DropBox was pointing to Apps/Scrivener, as has been set since originally configured. I re-pointed it to the folder using the Other option and it has re-established the connection and started syncing again.

Now I'm wondering if this is a bug that needs to be watched when upgrades occur?

Thanks lunk!

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:07 pm Post

My connections (not the default folder) has not changed since I first installed iOS Scrivener on two iPads and two iPhones, so I don’t think that App store updates change the settings. Deleting and re-installing or installing on a new device would of course require setting it up anew.

kewms

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:02 pm Post

Checking configuration settings when mysterious problems appear right after a software update is always a good idea. While updates aren't *supposed* to reset things, they can, and there are numerous situations where they have.

And of course, we have no control over either Dropbox or Apple. We have no ability to keep them from changing things out from under Scrivener, and only limited ability to detect that they have done so.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team