Missing .scrivx file on Windows

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:28 am Post

Argh, sorry, that was my advice about copying the .mob file and in fact that won't work after all. Instead, download and unzip this:

Blank.scrivx.zip
(779 Bytes) Downloaded 11 times

It contains a "Blank.scrivx" file. Just place that in the .scriv folder and double-click that to open the project. (The .scrivx file created by the mobile version is in fact just an empty stub that tells the Windows version to read the project from the binder.mob file, so this file provides the stub.)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:09 pm Post

Ioa, I had the same result as MythicFox - same error message.

ETA: Sorry, didn't see Keith's fix, which worked. Thanks all!

My
MythicFox
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:26 pm Post

That worked, thanks!

ti
timjslee
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:36 pm Post

Sorry having same problem with a project created on ipad v 1.1.2 (1187) synching to dropbox but without the necessary scrivx file appearing in windows dropbox directory. No problem for other projects, they synch fine. Have tried downloading the blank.scrivx file and putting it in the relevant dropbox directory that is missing its scrivx file, but I just get multiple error messages saying there are sync conflicts.

I have seen that my app is showing as version 1.1.2 (1187) and there doesnt seem to be an update available to 1.1.3 in the updates section on app store so no way to update!

IOS11 btw.

ADDENDUM (SOLVED): I tried the fix with blank scrivx file again and found all my text in the conflicts folder. So I was able to pull it out of there and recreate the project on PC and then synch it back to the ipad.

With the recreated project safely on PC, I deleted the app on the ipad and reinstalled it to give myself version 1.1.3. Then I created a test project on the iPad saved to dropbox, synched and checked that I can open it on the PC and yes, the necessary scrivx file is there, so all is good again.

PS, love the ability to synch between devices (when it works), thanks v much for this!!
Journalist for 20 years, and voracious reader: favourite authors incl Elmore Leonard, Iain Banks, Eleanor Catton, Tim Winton, David Mitchell and Antony Beevor.

ti
timjslee
Platform: Windows

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:11 pm Post

Just curious, is there a reason version 1.1.2 (1187) doesn't seem to recognise it needs to be updated by the app store? Must be a lot of people stuck with the version that won't synch properly because the app doesn't update...

T
Journalist for 20 years, and voracious reader: favourite authors incl Elmore Leonard, Iain Banks, Eleanor Catton, Tim Winton, David Mitchell and Antony Beevor.

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:48 pm Post

timjslee wrote:Just curious, is there a reason version 1.1.2 (1187) doesn't seem to recognise it needs to be updated by the app store? Must be a lot of people stuck with the version that won't synch properly because the app doesn't update...

T

Check your download/purchase history to see if you already have 1.1.3. Sounds that you do (your addendum). L&L forgot to update the 1.1.3 version metadata:
AmberV wrote:Don't worry about deleting and installing again, we forgot to update the metadata for the internal version number so it will be printing the old number. . . .

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=39617#p239299