Scrivenings mode

lonehorseend
Platform: Windows

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:28 pm Post

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see a way to access scrivenings mode in IOS. If it isn't there, can it be added, please?
You know, sometimes it is the artist's task to find out how much music you can still make with what you have left.
- Itzhak Perlman

kewms
Platform: Mac

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:23 am Post

Sorry, it isn't there. This is an unfortunate side effect of the more limited iOS platform.

There is an alternative, however, the Draft Navigator view. (iPad only) Tap the three lines next to the Bookmark icon at the bottom of the screen.

You can also use the iPad's Compile function to create a draft copy in the format of your choice.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

lonehorseend

Sun May 07, 2017 12:19 am Post

Aw well, I understand.

Really love the app! :)

Thanks for the pointers.
You know, sometimes it is the artist's task to find out how much music you can still make with what you have left.
- Itzhak Perlman

_f
_fb

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:24 am Post

This (lack of scrivenings Mode in iOS) is a dearly missed feature. So much so that it makes my workflow on an iPad very clumsy...

I really hope this will be implemented in the near future.

In the meantime, my I suggest at least the possibility to tap/move (e.g. via < and > symbols) between the texts easily while in Composition mode?

Thank you!

F

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:39 am Post

_fb wrote:This (lack of scrivenings Mode in iOS) is a dearly missed feature. So much so that it makes my workflow on an iPad very clumsy...I really hope this will be implemented in the near future.

It is not that L&L are holding out on you -- I am sure they would like nothing better than to give you a full Scriv'ings Mode on iOS. What we are told is that current limitations of iOS made that impracticable. Didn't work. Draft Navigator view was developed, I suppose, as a way of doing what could be done. So, what you should wish for is for iOS to develop in the right ways to make a Scriv Mode possible in the future!

_fb wrote:In the meantime, my I suggest at least the possibility to tap/move (e.g. via < and > symbols) between the texts easily while in Composition mode?

This is what the up/down icons at the upper left of the editor header bar do (on iPad at least).
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat

"Perhaps the true book is the one on the far side of the prism."

Ev
EvPowers

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:30 pm Post

Draft Navigator View would be fine if the text wasn’t so small. (I’m working on a 12.9” IPP.) Switching to Editor Zoom makes the text a nice size, but the column width is so narrow as to make it unusable. If we could just change the text size in Draft Navigator View, or the column width in the Editor Zoom, all would be well.

I’m really enjoying the app on my iPad! Once I figured it out and had everything set up correctly, it’s syncing perfectly so I can work on the manuscript on my Mac.
Last edited by EvPowers on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Writing on a late-2013 MacBook Pro running High Sierra and a 2017 12.9" iPad Pro.

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:16 am Post

EvPowers wrote:Draft Navigator View would be fine if the text wasn’t so small. (I’m working on a 12.9” IPP.) Switching to Editor Zoom makes the text a nice size, but the column wide is so narrow as to make it unusable. If we could just change the text size in Draft Navigator View, or the column width in the Editor Zoom, all would be well.

The draft nav view window is the full (portrait) width of my ipad with minimal margin aside the text. It couldn't really be any wider!

gr
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat

"Perhaps the true book is the one on the far side of the prism."

KB
Site Admin

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:30 am Post

EvPowers: could you show a screenshot? The text shouldn't be so small or narrow, strange. Thanks for the kind words!

Scrivenings is actually a lot more complex than might be first evident. If you look at other apps that have adopted a scrivenings-like view, they all do it by creating lots of individual text boxes in a long column. (Even our Scrivener 1 for Windows does this - the developers have had hell getting it to work like the Mac version for 3.0.) So, each section of text is in its own little invisible view. You can see this because if you try to Select All, it only selects text in the current selection. In Scrivener, however, the combination of the texts is done at the model level. So I actually have a big chunk of text that coordinates with all the text sections. This means that you can select all of the text, format across different sections, and it can be loaded into a page layout view on macOS (something you could never do with individual boxes). The coordination is quite intensive and very complicated.

Now, in theory, my scrivenings text model could be brought across to iOS, because the code itself is not Mac-dependent and could run on iOS. However, even on macOS, loading text into all scrivenings can be quite intensive. If you just have a few text documents containing nothing but text, it will load quickly and could run fine on iOS. But we have users with multiple large images in text, and with hundreds of text documents. That sort of strain would end up crashing through lack of memory even on many iPads.

That doesn't rule out scrivenings from a future version, however - in fact, scrivenings is on my list of things I would like to bring to the iPad if possible (it definitely couldn't run on an iPhone). But it presents a number of far-from trial technical challenges (it was challenging enough implementing scrivenings on the Mac :) ).

I hope to look at this again later in the year or early next year, though. (There are a few other big updates I want to look into for the iOS version before then, concerning other much-asked for features.)

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Ev
EvPowers

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:44 pm Post

2CD49D11-3E56-4FEB-9C78-DCC891C95D3A.jpeg
2CD49D11-3E56-4FEB-9C78-DCC891C95D3A.jpeg (567.88 KiB) Viewed 365 times

6011500C-F3CE-47C5-A8F8-39448C965F10.jpeg
6011500C-F3CE-47C5-A8F8-39448C965F10.jpeg (268.4 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Writing on a late-2013 MacBook Pro running High Sierra and a 2017 12.9" iPad Pro.

KB
Site Admin

Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:24 pm Post

EvPowers - thanks for that. I've fixed that bug for the next update. The problem is a change in iOS 11 that breaks the way text fits in the container. I'd fixed it in the main text editor but had missed it in the Draft Navigator.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Ev
EvPowers

Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:06 am Post

KB wrote:EvPowers - thanks for that. I've fixed that bug for the next update. The problem is a change in iOS 11 that breaks the way text fits in the container. I'd fixed it in the main text editor but had missed it in the Draft Navigator.

All the best,
Keith

Excellent, thanks.

re
rebcarnell

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:25 am Post

KB wrote:EvPowers - thanks for that. I've fixed that bug for the next update. The problem is a change in iOS 11 that breaks the way text fits in the container. I'd fixed it in the main text editor but had missed it in the Draft Navigator.

All the best,
Keith

Hi,
I don't mean to butt into this thread but I think that this is the same problem I am having. After updating my IPad with the iOS11 my project text is formatted into a narrow column. Even thought the font is normal the look of it is tiny. How can I fix this? Should I delete Scrivener from my IPad then reinstall? I've spent hours this afternoon looking for what I have done to it and how to fix it.
Thanks, Rebecca