Indenting bullets on iPhone?

Th
TheirTheyre
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:13 pm Post

Hi!

I'm a new Scrivener user. So far, I like it!

But I'm trying to do a bulleted outline in a text document, and when I add an entry on my iPhone, I can't find a way to indent it using the on-screen keyboard - no tab key, and there doesn't seem to be one in the 3 panes of 'extra keys' above the keyboard.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

TT

Fi
Fiddl3r

Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:53 am Post

Th
TheirTheyre

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:56 pm Post

Thanks, @Fiddl3r, that explains it. Much appreciated!

As a workaround, I've started using Bold and italics to indicate headers and indented items when typing on iPhone, then fixing them up on mac later.

Ro
Robertjm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:05 pm Post

It's now December 2017 and Scrivener for iOS still doesn't support indenting. It doesn't even seem to support the tab key just to recreate an indent.

That's crazy, especially in a $19 app. Microsoft's Word for iOS does.

ji
jianada
Platform: Mac

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:54 pm Post

This is indeed a very needed feature. Please update us on the progress, if there has been any change in Apple's stance on this.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 pm Post

I haven’t heard anything to suggest that much has changed with Apple’s text engine with regards to either tab stops or bullets (the latter of which depends upon the former) in iOS 11. Perhaps we’ll see some better news next summer, but I wouldn’t hold my breath, it’ll probably just be a new font for the clock and even larger emoji.

That’s crazy, especially in a $19 app. Microsoft’s Word for iOS does.

Microsoft isn’t using the native Apple text engine to make Word! :lol:
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

bi
big_anemone
Platform: Mac

Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:48 pm Post

If it isn't possible to support better outlining within Scrivener at this time (I understand that Apple's text engine imposes limits, although this would be a great place to extend that engine!) I wonder if there is a way of utilizing third-party tools more effectively?

Here's what I mean. I currently keep all documents related to classes I'm teaching inside Scrivener, but not being able to create "real" outlines is restrictive. I'm experimenting with doing my outlining in OmniOutline (on ios), then exporting the outline to pdf so I can save a copy in Scrivener. This isn't a very satisfactory solution, but I wonder if with a little support from Scrivener, it would be possible to import an outline from OmniOutline that could then be tweaked inside Scrivener if/when necessary?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:24 pm Post

To be fair I wouldn’t even call the bullet tool on the Mac an outliner. All of a Scrivener project itself, on the other hand—the way you can organise topical headings into structure and nest items within other items—yes, that’s an outline, though some find friction toward the concept of using it that way, preferring to think of it more in terms of “files”. Either way works to be clear, but it’s good to know that Scrivener as a whole doesn’t really have a hugely complicated text-based outliner in large part because it puts that emphasis on outlining (as a feature set and where to invest programming time) in the binder. These represent two different models for how software can address the long document problem. Word uses one method, we use another, much closer to OmniOutliner than Word.

This isn’t a very satisfactory solution, but I wonder if with a little support from Scrivener, it would be possible to import an outline from OmniOutline that could then be tweaked inside Scrivener if/when necessary?

With regards to the Mac, you have a few options (sorry I don’t really know too much about iOS, maybe someone will have some advice there):

• Save your OmniOutliner file as .opml and drag it into your binder. Options pertaining to how that work are found in Sharing: Import: OPML preferences. That will work better if you think of the binder as being a true outliner.
  • If you’d rather bullets in a text file, I don’t know if OmniOutliner can make such a list directly, in fact. There are plenty of approaches available that can generate something similar to the above—Word outline and Markdown headings, in conjunction with File ▸ Import ▸ Import and Split... in Scrivener—but that’s pretty much the same result you’d get with OPML. All of the file-based exports I tested seemed to produce a formatted copy that looks like a list, but isn’t actually a list.
  • If I take you literally, sure, you can drop an .oo3 file into the binder, get a decent read-only preview of it in the editor, and to tweak it “inside” Scrivener, just punch the button to load it in OmniOutliner, save and the save goes back into the copy stored in Scrivener.

I understand that Apple’s text engine imposes limits, although this would be a great place to extend that engine!

But this is addressed in the document that was linked to earlier in this thread:

“Providing better support for these features on iOS without using Apple’s frameworks would mean writing our own lists and tables code from scratch not just for iOS but also replacing it all on macOS (for cross-platform compatibility). This would not only affect the UI, but we’d also need to then write all of our own importers and exporters for every file format that supports these features rather than being able to use a mix of our own importers/exporters and Apple-provided ones as we do now. As we are a very small company and both the macOS and iOS versions are coded by a single developer (me!) this is, unfortunately, out of scope for the time being.”
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles