iOS has no distraction-free composition mode?

devinganger
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:41 am Post

theswede wrote:
kewms wrote:You are not listening.

Just because I disagree does not mean I do not listen and do not understand. I listen and understand perfectly well. I am explaining my side.

To me they are cruft. I want to be able to turn them off. If they are useful to you, then by all means, do not turn them off. But how is it a bad thing for you if I can turn them off?

You are asking for the designer to perform work on his program after he has explained to you why he is not inclined to do that work. In his vision, it is not compatible with the function of the program. You can choose to live with that vision, or you can find some other program. There is no argument and there is no "your" side. Software is not democracy.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets

theswede
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:44 am Post

Of course each feature requires development. That is why I explain the importance of this feature to me.

Even if I were to format text, the buttons for doing so would be of no use. The keyboard shortcuts are not only perfectly adequate, but a lot faster for pretty much everyone. It makes absolutely no sense from a usability perspective to insist that the buttons stay on screen in distraction free mode. After all, they do not do so on the desktop version - why is the iOS version different?

But it is clear that any opinion deviating from that of "the vast majority" will be met with "find some other program".

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:02 am Post

That’s not a fair characterisation of Literature and Latte’s support at all.

The designer (KB) has engaged politely with you and explained your request won’t be implemented. Another Lit&Lat member (Kewms) has iterated the point. So I guess continuing to make your case is futile. The suggestion to use other software really only is made to people who simply cannot work with Scriv in its current form, as seems to be the case for you.

theswede

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:10 am Post

That is not a fair characterization of the response at all. The response has been that Scrivener is a Rich Text editor, which is perfectly fine. I do not like that, but that part does not get in the way that much, especially with the sync to external folder functionality.

But why the iOS distraction free screen has to have buttons which are not on the desktop version distraction free screen has never been addressed. No explanation, no clarification on the stance, only reiteration that the editor is for Rich Text.

The desktop editor is also for Rich Text. Yet it has a true distraction free mode. Something the iOS version does not have. And all the responses to why it doesn't boil down to ... well, none of them actually say anything about why this difference exist. And instead quite a lot of comments keep trying to turn this into something personal.

devinganger

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:14 am Post

If you feel my comment was intended personally, I can only tell you it was not so intended. But your desire to explain your side comes across as a demand -- perhaps something you did not intend.
--
Devin L. Ganger

theswede

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:17 am Post

When getting straight answers to the actual question is like pulling nails, of course it comes across as a demand. It's called "frustration". And how on earth did you expect "find some other program" to come across?

devinganger

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 am Post

1) You weren't the OP and piled on to an existing thread. The OP asked a question, received an answer, and was satisfied.
2) You've asked precisely one question, which was answered succinctly and clearly by both KB and Katherine. Whether you liked the answer is irrelevant.
3) There are many differences between iOS and Mac/Windows versions of Scrivener.
4) You seem to be intentionally wording your responses to give the impression that your desired workflow and preferences outweigh those of others.
5) "Find some other program" is a pragmatic assessment of one of your options. You asked for a feature change. You were told it wasn't going to happen. Now you are berating others for not conforming to your expectations. That is not going to be a fruitful and productive path for you. Your options for future happiness are to adjust your expectations or find a new program to use that meets your expectations.
6) No one other than you is responsible for your emotional reactions to the conversation here.

Also, before Katherine has to bring out the ban hammer, I am done in this thread. We've reached the point where the same things are being said.
--
Devin L. Ganger

theswede

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:51 am Post

This thread still contains no explanation as to why the iOS version has to be different from the Desktop version. It is just stated that it is, because it is a Rich Text app, as if that makes it self evident.

Which would mean that it self evidently would be that way on the desktop app as well, since it is a Rich text app as well, of course.

Except it is not.

Instead it is explained how unreasonable it would be to expect a distraction free typing environment on an iOS app. How much extra work it would be. Again, as if it is self evident that this is not worth consideration. Because Scrivener is Rich Text. And Rich Text apps always have visible extra buttons.

Except the ones that do not. Like Scrivener not for iOS.

parf

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:09 pm Post

theswede wrote:This thread still contains no explanation as to why the iOS version has to be different from the Desktop version. It is just stated that it is, because it is a Rich Text app, as if that makes it self evident.

Which would mean that it self evidently would be that way on the desktop app as well, since it is a Rich text app as well, of course.

Except it is not.

Instead it is explained how unreasonable it would be to expect a distraction free typing environment on an iOS app. How much extra work it would be. Again, as if it is self evident that this is not worth consideration. Because Scrivener is Rich Text. And Rich Text apps always have visible extra buttons.

Except the ones that do not. Like Scrivener not for iOS.

I totally agree. The lack of distraction free mode is a big inconvenience, and the reason why I can have in on iMac, but not on iPad mini is still unclear.
Nadya De Angelis, author

My book: http://amphora.ru/book.php?id=2320
My blog: http://nadyadeangelis.info
My twitter: http://twitter.com/parf

All in Russian!

Pe
Pensive_ink
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:46 am Post

KB wrote:Scrivener is rich text by design, so... not a flaw. :) There are a billion plain text editors out there, but Scrivener is not one of them; it's for the many users who don't particularly like interspersing their text with markup characters primarily. ...

Aaaand this is why you have my money :-)

(Or at least one reason --but it's a big one to me.)

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:03 am Post

You guys should just use Typora -- it's on every platform, I think, at least the three I type things on, and it is simply great for focused or immediate writing, instantly there with just a fresh screen.

Lots of ways you can set it up, black screen for your eyes, etc, and all hidden away so you don't have to see about them.

And yes, it has a very effective focus mode, including on iOS.

It writes directly to DropBox with entire trust-worth as far as I've seen.; other services I don't use also.

Many export modes exist as well as instant re-seeing in another font you choose, to better catch editables, and a very interesting word type highlighter which adds a lot to avoiding writerly typical errors. The harmonies of repeated words or phrases, etc., which you want to keep to yourself on exiting early stages.

I use Scrivener then from what's captured on any platform, to put together the larger. It feels a great pairing

bo
booktalk

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:19 pm Post

devinganger wrote:1) You weren't the OP and piled on to an existing thread. The OP asked a question, received an answer, and was satisfied.

OP here, catching up on the discussion. And nope. Unless by satisfied, you meant I stopped talking to a brick wall.

Scrivener should have rich text, It should have helpful tool bars. It should have an option to hide tool bars.

This isn't some ideological showdown between worldviews. It is a nice feature that is on both the Mac version and other iOS writing apps. It is a selling feature.

It has nothing to do with the rich text environment. (Hurray rich text for anyone that wants to use it.) Hiding a single toolbar while composing has nothing to do with RTF. I'd love a basic composition mode even if I only wrote in RTF for the rest of my life.

It is being suggested to improve a good product, so Keith theoretically gets more money and less disappointment from users.