iOS has no distraction-free composition mode?

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:03 am Post

A real genuine distraction-free mode would have to project me into the Mirror Dimension or come with its own sensory deprivation chamber.
distraction-free.jpg
distraction-free.jpg (193.86 KiB) Viewed 778 times

I would happily accept more header/footer widgets if the real things that surround me could only be reduced to them for a while.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat

"Perhaps the true book is the one on the far side of the prism."

theswede
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:52 am Post

lunk wrote:Do you seriously mean that you are distracted by the few things at the top and bottom while in the editor in full-screen mode?

IMG_0310.PNG

Yes.

That Scrivener insists on Rich Text is what keeps me from using it for more than research and outlining. It gets in the way of so many uses, and in this cases it really is annoying that one of the core design problems with Scrivener (not plaintext) gets in the way of its usability.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:00 pm Post

theswede wrote:That Scrivener insists on Rich Text is what keeps me from using it for more than research and outlining. It gets in the way of so many uses, and in this cases it really is annoying that one of the core design problems with Scrivener (not plaintext) gets in the way of its usability.

At least as many users would be at least as annoyed if Scrivener were a plain text application. Most users will ultimately need formatted text, and don't want to have to learn Markdown to get there.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:24 pm Post

kewms wrote:
theswede wrote:That Scrivener insists on Rich Text is what keeps me from using it for more than research and outlining. It gets in the way of so many uses, and in this cases it really is annoying that one of the core design problems with Scrivener (not plaintext) gets in the way of its usability.

At least as many users would be at least as annoyed if Scrivener were a plain text application. Most users will ultimately need formatted text, and don't want to have to learn Markdown to get there.

Katherine

I write fiction, all I need is rich text. I would be one of those annoyed users. :)

rdale

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:32 pm Post

This is the kind of statement that really baffles me. What about having rich text available to you impedes your usage of Scrivener? I've got plenty of coworkers who treat Word as a plain text editor (not knowing about, or refusing to use styles). They use all-upper-case titles for section headers as if the "Header 1" style wasn't right there in the toolbar.

What's stopping you from setting a fixed-width font as your default and ignoring italics, bold, styles, highlighting, internal or external hyper-links, footnotes, etc...? Rich text is additive; it doesn't take anything away from text that's available with un-formatted text.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

theswede

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:18 pm Post

rdale wrote:This is the kind of statement that really baffles me. What about having rich text available to you impedes your usage of Scrivener?

Can't directly use and manipulate the text in the Scrivener document with text tools while working in Scrivener. Thus I cut and paste everything to a proper text editor after research and outlining, so I can do this while I work on the document.

br
brookter

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:37 pm Post

I used to do this: set up syncing of external folders so I could write and edit in Emacs. The text is seamlessly integrated into Scrivener — including two way translation of annotations / footnotes / white space — and in many ways it gives you the best of both worlds. If you've not looked at the feature, then it may be worth you exploring it in the manual.

In the end I stopped using it because the main thing I wanted was decent Vim and Emacs keyboard shortcuts and I can get that through a combination of keybindings and Karabiner Elements.

mikehalloran

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:04 pm Post

I don’t get it. Even Text.app has formatting tools at the top.

If I was somehow distracted by the tools, it would be because I wasn’t concentrating on my writing.

Lifes is too short. It’s a non-issue for me.
Musician, Author, Editor

rdale

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:53 pm Post

theswede wrote:
rdale wrote:This is the kind of statement that really baffles me. What about having rich text available to you impedes your usage of Scrivener?

Can't directly use and manipulate the text in the Scrivener document with text tools while working in Scrivener. Thus I cut and paste everything to a proper text editor after research and outlining, so I can do this while I work on the document.

Scrivener's editor is very proper when it comes to editing text. It's British, after all.

By "proper text tools", do you mean grep, awk, sed, PERL, Vi/Emacs/Pico/Nano and the like? Because the "sync with external folder" feature has a plain text option that doesn't require cut & paste. You can then work with several documents outside of Scrivener, and then sync back into the project for further Scrivener-y manipulation.

A lack of a plain-text format for data storage is not a flaw, as you're characterizing it; it's a design choice. Just because it doesn't fit your preferences doesn't make it a mistake that needs correcting. ...Unless you've secretly been the real mastermind behind the creation of Scrivener, and that rogue Blount defied your design specifications and has gotten away with his mischief until now.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

theswede

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:48 pm Post

rdale wrote:Scrivener's editor is very proper when it comes to editing text. It's British, after all.

In that sense, indeed. =)

By "proper text tools", do you mean grep, awk, sed, PERL, Vi/Emacs/Pico/Nano and the like? Because the "sync with external folder" feature has a plain text option that doesn't require cut & paste. You can then work with several documents outside of Scrivener, and then sync back into the project for further Scrivener-y manipulation.

Yes, I mean those tools. Been trying to get that to work properly with my Wine-ified Scrivener, but it's not really playing nice. Might be the paths get weird in the translation somewhere. I'll have to give it some more effort, but my latest markup/LaTeX project is finished so haven't attacked the problem that much.

A lack of a plain-text format for data storage is not a flaw, as you're characterizing it; it's a design choice. Just because it doesn't fit your preferences doesn't make it a mistake that needs correcting. ...Unless you've secretly been the real mastermind behind the creation of Scrivener, and that rogue Blount defied your design specifications and has gotten away with his mischief until now.

Any design choice can be a boon or a flaw. In this case, it gets in the way of many things, like effortless manipulation of text with external tools (though I may yet get that working properly) and, more to the point of this thread, it adds cruft to the "distraction free" writing mode. Cruft which is, well, distracting. And which in my view and use of the tool has no business being there.

Now, YMMV, and so may the intent of the designer, but that does not make the cruft any less distracting.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:06 pm Post

Scrivener is rich text by design, so... not a flaw. :) There are a billion plain text editors out there, but Scrivener is not one of them; it's for the many users who don't particularly like interspersing their text with markup characters primarily. But users who want to do that can still use it if they like its other tools enough - they just have to accept that it is at heart a rich text editor, and that it's never going to be a plain text one.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

theswede

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:12 pm Post

There could still be a check box which allows removal of formatting cruft in distraction free mode for those who do not want that distraction. In fact, removing them everywhere would be a great feature.

kewms

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:42 pm Post

You are not listening. The vast majority of Scrivener users and, most importantly, it's designer, do not see rich text editing features as "cruft."

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

theswede

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:35 am Post

kewms wrote:You are not listening.

Just because I disagree does not mean I do not listen and do not understand. I listen and understand perfectly well. I am explaining my side.

To me they are cruft. I want to be able to turn them off. If they are useful to you, then by all means, do not turn them off. But how is it a bad thing for you if I can turn them off?

kewms

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:39 am Post

Every added feature requires development time, testing time, and support time. Management of those resources is critical for any company, particularly a small one like Literature & Latte,

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team