iOS has no distraction-free composition mode?

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:36 pm Post

Ldee wrote:presumably a third party keyboard, because it also has a second extra key row, besides the one that comes with Scrivener.

Dee,

That second extra shortcut row you are seeing there can be switched on in your iPad Settings. Go to General > Keyboard and enable Shortcuts.

However, Keith has done such a great job with the customizable shortcut row Scrivener provides, you may find as I do that the built-in shortcuts row are not worth the screen space -- the functions you really care about are already available on the Scrivener row.

Best,
gr

bo
booktalk
Platform: Mac

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:07 pm Post

Control-option-F to toggle (keyboard bar, status bar, and binder) for all us lovelies who use external keyboards.

igstudio

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:46 pm Post

I use the app on the iPhone and find the true RTF editor working great, but, to second DanielParadise, to have a few more color schemes would be lovely, especially the inverted one: dark background, light text, along with a dark keyboard (Daedalus-like). Should help with battery life, too...

kewms

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:18 pm Post

igstudio wrote:I use the app on the iPhone and find the true RTF editor working great, but, to second DanielParadise, to have a few more color schemes would be lovely, especially the inverted one: dark background, light text, along with a dark keyboard (Daedalus-like). Should help with battery life, too...

Just a quick note: on an LCD monitor, a light background and a dark background consume about the same amount of power. The biggest power drain is the back light for the display, which is just a light bulb (fluorescent or LED, usually) and is on all the time. Turning a pixel dark means using a transistor to polarize the liquid crystal material so that light can't pass through. In a monochrome display, this means that a dark pixel actually consumes *more* power; color displays are a little more complicated.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

igstudio

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:19 pm Post

kewms wrote:Just a quick note: on an LCD monitor, a light background and a dark background consume about the same amount of power.

Learned something new today...

md
mdmullins

Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:14 am Post

First off, GREAT piece of software. At 1.0 it is already game changing, and I looking forward to seeing it mature.

With a composition mode, I think what people are looking for is something like this…

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (372.59 KiB) Viewed 921 times

This is just a screenshot from SimpleNote dark mode, but it is what I still have to use in order to write. I can't yet use Scrivener for drafting or thinking through things. I have to write everything in SimpleNote and then copy it over. Not a huge deal but there's no rich text, so I then have to go back in and add all of the italics and take care of lists or such after I paste it into Scrivener.

Composition Mode carries an outsized importance for a lot of writers, much more so than you would think.

But again, great job on 1.0.

md
mdmullins

Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:29 am Post

A workaround that I've found that works for me is to write in markdown in SimpleNote, then find a converter for markdown to rich text. (Does Scrivener import rich text directly?) The app previously known as Nebulous Notes also offers a great distraction free writing environment, but for me there's nothing like SimpleNote for distraction free writing. And the sync (for back up purposes) is flawless.

What I've taken to doing is writing in SimpleNote, copying it over to Nebulous Notes, exporting to rich text and then copy and pasting into Scrivener. It sounds like a lot, but if I write three- or four-thousand words in Nebulous, I only have to make the transfer once.

It will do until and unless Scrivener for iOS gets a composition mode which beats out SimpleNote.

Thanks again to all who worked so hard on this great project!

Sk
Skriveren

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:31 am Post

KB wrote:There are no plans to hide those icons entirely. Scrivener isn't a plain text app, so the formatting controls are part of the rich text editing experience.

All the best,
Keith

First of all: Great to at last have an iOS Scrivener version! And it's great!

If it is technically possible in iOS to make a writing screen with entirely hidden icons (like in the Mac version distraction-free composition mode) it would have been great. In fact, one KEY factor for me in choosing Scrivener on my Mac is precisely the possibility to only have text (and no icons, frames, colums, or other stuff/characters) in my writing area, my fullscreen.

Can this be done in a later version? For, if it is possible, there are no reason not to make this an option, or...?

Kind regards from
Skriveren in Norway

yosimiti

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:37 am Post

MS Word for iPhone has a screen-reflow mode; I think that's the closest thing to a iOS full-screen mode that Scrivener could incorporate. But I imagine that's probably difficult because MS Word has teams of coders, and Keith has only...a few...I think.

Initially, I too was grumpy about no distraction free mode on iOS Scrivener. But lately, I've come to the notion that while I think a distraction-free mode is nice, if you're distracted from your writing, you should learn to focus more on your work, and become more self-reliant, than worry about or become annoyed about whether there's a tiny paintbrush on the corner of your screen. :shock: Some of the greatest writers in history (actually most of them considering how recent the creation of the computer is in human history) wrote without a computer altogether...

fn
fncll

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:49 pm Post

I'll just respectfully add my vote here for an even cleaner composition mode on iPad, particularly the ability not to show the top bar with the clock and (very distracting) word count.

I'm not quite sure how this is outside the philosophy of Scrivener when such a view has been made available on the OS X version and is in fact touted in the features: "Because sometimes you want to blank out the rest of the world while you write—or at least the rest of the screen. One click in Scrivener’s toolbar and you can leave the rest of your desktop behind. [...] Flexible preferences mean you can set up the full-screen mode as you please. Change documents, refer to your notes, apply keywords—or most importantly, just write—in one of the most beautiful distraction-free modes available."

Unless it poses some significant programming challenge on iOS, which it well might, it seems like a reasonable, parallel feature for iPad users who similarly would like to leave their desktop equivalent behind!

(Also, "Scrivener isn't a plain text app, so the formatting controls are part of the rich text editing experience" makes sense but for the fact that Markdown is an explicit option, so working in plain text is an important thing for some of us. But that has nothing to do with the most distracting top bar :)

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:48 pm Post

Hi,

fncll wrote:I'll just respectfully add my vote here for an even cleaner composition mode on iPad, particularly the ability not to show the top bar with the clock and (very distracting) word count.

You can already hide the clock and battery in full screen mode. Just tap the full screen icon in the navigation bar and the writing takes over the whole screen, the clock and batter bar is hidden, and the toolbar changes to the same colour as the text area.

fncll wrote:(Also, "Scrivener isn't a plain text app, so the formatting controls are part of the rich text editing experience" makes sense but for the fact that Markdown is an explicit option, so working in plain text is an important thing for some of us. But that has nothing to do with the most distracting top bar :)
[/quote]

Scrivener isn't a Markdown app, though. Users are free to use Markdown in it if they want, but Scrivener is still a rich text app. The nav bar gives you a way of bringing back the binder, ending editing, switching typewriter mode on and off, and of accessing formatting.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Br
Brianjaq
Platform: iOS

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:07 am Post

Chiming in - the feature that really set Scrivener apart for me, almost a decade ago when I started using it on my Mac, was the ability to enter composition mode and choose your own background image. Yes, self-control to just ignore distractions is a good thing, but the elegance and simplicity of the desktop composition mode is/was a thing of real beauty.

I’m just starting a PhD and decided to switch entirely over to an iPad Pro, partly because I saw that there was a native form of Scrivener for it. Realizing too late the lack of composition mode in the iOS version is almost heartbreaking! Those who use external keyboards (surely, anyone doing substantial writing?) could easily use a shortcut to pull formatting options back up, when desired.

I’m sure it would require extra effort to program, but seriously, if you made it a $10 in-app purchase to add on composition mode, I believe that plenty of people would spring for it. I definitely would!

bi
big_anemone

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:41 am Post

Just adding my voice. I like Scrivener on iOS as well as I do on the Mac (and better than on Windows). Getting an iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard has only made it better - that iPad is now my primary computer. I do miss a true full screen / distraction free mode, though, and I imagine it can’t be *that* hard to implement - a number of other iOS editors have it. I, too, want it enough that I’d cheerfully pay for it.

lunk

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:37 am Post

Do you seriously mean that you are distracted by the few things at the top and bottom while in the editor in full-screen mode?

IMG_0310.PNG
IMG_0310.PNG (99.16 KiB) Viewed 665 times

bi
big_anemone

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:45 pm Post

lunk wrote:Do you seriously mean that you are distracted by the few things at the top and bottom while in the editor in full-screen mode?

IMG_0310.PNG

No, of course not. I’m expressing a preference more than a serious “need.” But on the other hand, aesthetics are a lot of the appeal of Scrivener. It’s not like I can’t be productive in, say, WordStar or even (god forbid) Word. I just like Scrivener, without being able to easily distinguish between features of Scrivener that I simply like and those that provide real productivity gains. I feel like I’m a little more productive in Scrivener than I am in other software. Part of that is that it helps organize and manage long documents over the long haul, but part of it is the sense that the software stays out of my way when I want it out of my way. A real blank editor screen in iOS would help with that feeling. Other than a sophisticated built-in system for reference and citation (see Nota Bene), it’s the thing I’d like most to be added to iOS Scrivener, and would obviously be orders of magnitude simpler to implement.