Change Language Manually

Ma
Marko
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:56 am Post

Hallo,

I understand that languages other than English will be added at a later date, but will it be possible to have Scrivener in English, even if the device is set to German?

On my Mac I use English and I’d like to use English on my iDevices as well.

Thanks a lot!

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:41 am Post

We haven't started that process yet, so I don't know, sorry.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

lunk

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:14 am Post

Marko wrote:On my Mac I use English and I’d like to use English on my iDevices as well.

Why not simple set the iDevice to use English instead of Deutsch? It wouldn't change anything but the language, I guess. And possibly the keyboards used by different apps, but keyboards can be changed separately on iDevices.

HO
HOV

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:28 am Post

I have found this app useful:

Language Switcher
Use your apps in different languages at the same time.
http://www.tj-hd.co.uk/en-gb/languageswitcher/

lunk

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:29 am Post

Not on an iOS device... :P

Ma
Marko

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:20 am Post

lunk wrote:
Marko wrote:On my Mac I use English and I’d like to use English on my iDevices as well.

Why not simple set the iDevice to use English instead of Deutsch? It wouldn't change anything but the language, I guess. And possibly the keyboards used by different apps, but keyboards can be changed separately on iDevices.

Some things aren’t available if I have set a different language than spoken in my region. For example, the spotlight search does not feature web search results, if my language is set to English, while my Region is set to Germany. It does work if I set my language to Englisch and my region to the UK. I don’t know why it works this way, but that’s why I switched my devices back to German.

KB wrote:We haven't started that process yet, so I don't know, sorry.

Thanks for the reply. I’d really appreciate if I could set my language independently from my device settings.

ka
kaitomas

Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:11 pm Post

This is something I really would like! Autocorrect is taking half of my life when writing in english. If I switch the device language to english the other half of my life goes...
Perhaps the best would be if Apple allowed language settings per application, just as they allow other settings like notifications etcetera on specific apps.
But until then; Please let me switch language in Scrivener! Better yet, let me set language on document level.

od
odalage

Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:23 am Post

I'm not sure I understand the issue at stake here: when I use the English keyboard, the autocorrect works in English. Similarly when I use the French keyboard, the correction is based on French vocabulary, etc.

I would love to have the French version of Scrivener for iOS, but in my opinion, it would only impact the interface of the software and not the content of the text.

As it is, I use it to write in French and haven't encountered any problem related to the language I'm using.

Ma
Marko

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:13 pm Post

I just realized that Scrivener on iOS is now translated (well, mostly). I’d still rather use Scrivener in English, like on the Mac. Have you given a manual language switch another thought, so that I don’t need to switch the language on my whole device?

Thanks!