Novel-in-a-Day 3: With a Vengeance

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:59 pm Post

I'd like to join in please if it would be possible to have a 6-9pm UK time slot for submission. Thanks.

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:51 pm Post

I've been holding on to caution, but the wind is picking up, so I kicked it into the gale (hope the special lady-friend doesn't do the same to me).

I'm in if there's a slot available.

Midnight UK = GMT right? So for people in the US Central (Standard?)* Time, that's -6 hours(?), so 6pm on Friday, Oct 18. The ending then being 8pm GMT = 2pm Central.

=========================
*Stupid "Daylight Savings" messing with the otherwise simple base 24 math!

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:23 pm Post

Well, this certainly seems an appropriate moment to tell you about the level of editing that goes into the NiaD. There are two distinct phases, and which one you fall into depends on when you submit your finished chapter...

The deadline for submissions is 8pm, UK time. Anything received by this point will go through the following reviews steps:
- The chapter is imported into Scrivener. Scene breaks (###) are replaced with document splits (Ctrl+K), and the format is converted to my own screen preference for editing, using Convert Formatting To Default Style. Italics and bold are retained.
- Bold text will get stared at for a few seconds. Potentially with a slightly confused expression on face.
- The section undergoes a fast review for consistency with the briefing. Starting too early or ending too late will result in a quick removal of the offending sections. At this point, any other deviations from the brief are probably here to stay.
- Bold text converted to normal text. Then to text in full caps. Then back to bold.
- Judgement call made on the bold. History would suggest it becomes normal text.

Anything received after 8pm but before midnight will still be included in the book. However, due to time constraints it will only undergo the following treatment:
- The chapter is imported into Scrivener. Scene breaks (###) are replaced with document splits (Ctrl+K), and the format is converted to my own screen preference for editing, using Convert Formatting To Default Style. Italics are retained. Bold is mercilessly removed.
- Blindingly obvious issues of overlap at the start and end of the chapter will be removed. All other inconsistencies will likely be missed, as the chapter won't get a read through at all.
(FUN GAME: read the previous NiaDs and see if you can spot these Chapters!)

And that is it. Participants from previous years may recall that I will - if I get time - read through and give suggestions for tweaks and changes if there are any inconsistencies / continuity things going on. But you should by no means rely on me having the time to do this. After all, I am - like you - trying to complete a chapter, and do a whole lot of other stuff at the same time.

Irial and FredInChina, I have no problem with people whose first language isn't English taking part. No problem at all. Given the nature of the exercise, however, you should be comfortable that a native speaker would have no idea that English wasn't your first language. By way of example, I'd point out Daurmith (who hopefully doesn't mind the attention). Daurmith's first language is Spanish, but writes English far better than most UK born people I've met.

Fred, from your previous posts I had no idea you weren't a native speaker (I assumed you were FredInChina and not, for example, FredFromChina). I'll leave it up to you whether you have the confidence (with or without the use of an extra pair of eyes such as Beth's) to take part. It's going to be read by a lot of people, after all!

Irial, as this is your first post to the forum I don't have a lot to go on, but I suspect you're not quite there yet. However, one thing we could consider after this year's event is out of the way (if you are interested) is holding an event in Spanish...

pigfender

Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:52 pm Post

Stacey, ABSOLUTELY!
RDG, You were fooling yourself if you thought you could resist!
Montree, Welcome back!

That's 16 people! Not too many places left...

Daurmith

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:23 pm Post

Mind? I'm *very* flattered (blush) and will try not to disappoint. :)

kirtvee
Platform: Windows

Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:19 pm Post

Dear friendly Pigfender:
Kindly add this NiaD virgin to your list. I look forward to joining in the fun!

pigfender

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:49 pm Post

kirtvee wrote:Kindly add this NiaD virgin to your list. I look forward to joining in the fun!

<sinister expression> You're one of us now.

Fr
FredInChina

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:38 pm Post

All right then, I'll give it a go!
Please count me in :)

Thanks Beth for the safety net & Pigfender for explaining the process and offering an opinion

Fred

pigfender

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:59 pm Post

FredInChina wrote:All right then, I'll give it a go!
Please count me in :)

Thanks Beth for the safety net & Pigfender for explaining the process and offering an opinion

Fred

No, wait... have I used that one already?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:26 am Post

I'm assuming that since it is after 8pm UTC, your continuity editor is asleep.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

kirtvee
Platform: Windows

Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:43 am Post

pigfender wrote:
kirtvee wrote:Kindly add this NiaD virgin to your list. I look forward to joining in the fun!

I believe you missed a golden opportunity to "muah hah hah!"...

I've always been one of you, now it's just official ;)

r6
r6d2
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:56 am Post

AmberV wrote:If you are interested or have any questions, then please sign up in the forum below!

"Are you sure you want to do this?", Bertha said.
"Yes, ma'am. Actually, I don't have a choice," the young boy replied.
"You sure do! Just don't!"
"Sorry, ma'am, it just smells like fate all over the place."

(I'm in.)
r6d2.

pigfender

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:06 am Post

AmberV wrote:I'm assuming that since it is after 8pm UTC, your continuity editor is asleep.

You're just gloating cos I've never had a darned thing to say for any of your chapters. :D

pigfender

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:32 pm Post

Given that we'll all be writing in different timezones, and we apparently live in a world where countries can't even agree what day to adjust their clocks for daylight savings, here are some links to find the (midnight) start and (8pm) deadline times in your region.

I've also put a copy of the links on the first page of the thread so you can find it more easily at a later date.

START
- in your corner of the world
- countdown

SUBMISSION DEADLINE
- in your corner of the world
- countdown

Fr
FredInChina

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:52 pm Post

This comfortably starts at 7am here, wonderful! :)