Ch
ChiaLynn
Platform: Mac

Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:10 am Post

Ooh, ooh, me! Please, sir! Madame? Me?

ma
matt

Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:51 am Post

Yeah, count me in again, been fun each time... even if my chapter has ended up next to Bywater's each time just so he can show me up. Meh, let it continue, I can take him this year!

If we do get emergencies on the list, there is a very small chance I may have to pull out due to the Aeon Timeline release for Windows (aiming for early October)... but if emergencies don't arrive, I'll do it regardless.

Matt

PS - By the way, if you want a different way to disseminate plot information, the Windows version of Aeon should be released by then, or at least in a very advanced beta - so I can throw you a copy so you can create and distribute a timeline as well. It all depends how closely you want to follow the trend of not knowing what comes before or after.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:31 am Post

This year, Matt, I've decided to go with an "alternative ending" approach where you and Michael have exactly the same brief. That's cool, right? ;)

I've actually been playing with Aeon to make a timeline of the 2011 NiaD plot. I have to say, I've been very impressed with the program! It certainly would have made planning the story of The Dark (given that many of the events unfold in flashback) a LOT easier. I'll share it with you when I'm done, if you like.

I'm still looking into what background info to share (for anyone new to the process, I still only have a two paragraph outline of the plot at this stage), but the story might well lend itself to having some useful timelines provided in support.

ChiaLynn, hi and welcome. Congratulations on being the first rookie signing of 2013!

Rollerdiva, pleasure as always!

ma
matt

Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:57 am Post

pigfender wrote:This year, Matt, I've decided to go with an "alternative ending" approach where you and Michael have exactly the same brief. That's cool, right? ;)

As long as his is the cliched ending that kills off the main character in a car crash, conveniently disposing of every loose end and moral ambiguity in the process, or the other old favorite:

"And then Susan woke up. It had all been a terrible dream."

Go on, make him stretch that last one into 1500 words!

Matt

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:55 am Post

pigfender wrote:Thanks also to Mrs Nom for the generous loan of her husband.

Mrs Nom says, "You're welcome", but has also made it clear that henceforth she is to be known as Madam Nom-Deploom.

Daurmith

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:54 pm Post

I would LOVE to participate again! Am I on time? Say yes, please!

Last year was incredibly satisfying and fun, I'd hate to miss it.

pigfender

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:06 pm Post

matt wrote:As long as his is the clichéd ending that kills off the main character in a car crash, conveniently disposing of every loose end and moral ambiguity in the process, or the other old favorite:
"And then Susan woke up. It had all been a terrible dream."

DAMMIT, there's two endings I can't use anymore! :D

matt wrote:Go on, make him stretch that last one into 1500 words!

He'd probably have a go.

Daurmith wrote:I would LOVE to participate again! Am I on time? Say yes, please!

Yup, you are on time! Although, we've half filled the spots up and only been open for business for short while.

Daurmith wrote:Last year was incredibly satisfying and fun, I'd hate to miss it.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. I'm hoping to be in a better mood this year.

Daurmith

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:10 pm Post

To tell you the truth, I'd be quite ready and willing to be the cause of your torture and bad moods again because it was so much fun. I'd feel guilty about it, but briefly.

'Cause that's writing for you: a world full of cruelty and pain. For some.

(And I'm in! YAY!)

Br
Briar Kit

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:16 pm Post

Out of curiosity, how many people do you need?

pigfender

Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:42 pm Post

Daurmith wrote:To tell you the truth, I'd be quite ready and willing to be the cause of your torture and bad moods again because it was so much fun. I'd feel guilty about it, but briefly.

Haha.
(Friends can be such a mixed blessing.)

Briar Kit wrote:Out of curiosity, how many people do you need?

Good question. I don't know *exactly* yet. The last two times I've sliced up the plot to fit the number of participants which has just happened to be 25 each time.

This time I'm doing it slightly little differently: I'm going to take the plot and divide it into sections first, and then fit the number of participants around that. I expect it to be roughly the same, somewhere in the 24-30 region. If we end up with too many participants, the last few to sign up will miss out, unfortunately. If we have too few participants, I'll either combine a couple of chapters together or aggressively pursue extra contributors. I'm really not expecting this to be the problem, though!

In other words, to be confident of being in, you should make sure you are in the first 24 spots. After that, I'll be adding people to the 'reservelist' instead if the 'inlist', in order of sign-up instead of alphabetical.

Br
Briar Kit

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:48 am Post

I'd love to offer to join in, but circumstances are against me ;(

Ir
Irial
Platform: Windows

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:29 am Post

Hi, I just arrive here by accident but I'd love to participate on it. I'm from Spain and I' m scared of not to have a perfect english, may this be a problem? Thank you.

Fr
FredInChina

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:05 am Post

I am not a native speaker either; if the additional editing is something that can be dealt with, I'd like to reserve a spot. :)

Fred

Montree_Whiles

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:01 pm Post

I'm all in. Oh, sorry, wrong game. Yes, I'd like to participate again this year.

AmberV wrote:On Saturday 19th October we will once again be working together to write a Novel In A Day. For anyone not familiar with the event, participants receive a briefing pack on what to write at midnight UK time on the day of the event and have until 8pm the same day to submit their chapter of at least 1,500 words. The individual sections are then compiled using the magic of Scrivener into epub, mobi and pdf files which will be made available for free download, along with the Scrivener project itself.

This is the third time we have run this event and it's proven to be a lot of fun for everyone involved (except pigfender) each time. You can read more about the event and pick up free copies of the previous years' books at novelinaday.com.

If you are interested or have any questions, then please sign up in the forum below!

Be
BethCutter

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:49 pm Post

I think having the slightly 'different' styles from non-native English speakers would be charming. :)

OTOH if it concerns the writer, or Pigfender, or whoever: if you can promise to get your piece in a couple of hours before the deadline, I'd be happy to give it a fast going over and tweak grammar or word order or whatever as needed.

You could send your piece to me, I tweak and send it back to you so that you can check in case I changed your meaning in some way, and then you could sub to Pigfender.