Can we have at least one Mind-map type Import / Export option?

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:30 pm Post

washere wrote:As to why I want it:

Namely importing old files and from Android devices apps which many like me use.


I was probably unclear in my question about why you wanted to import into Scapple, so I will try to be clearer.

Okay, so you have old mindmaps and Android mindmaps which you want to use on a modern Mac. Nothing mysterious about that, but why do you insist on importing into Scapple? Why not import into a mindmap app made for handling mindmaps?
If you just want to get the text into Scapple, importing txt is possible, right?

I am not questioning your need for getting access to old files etc, just bewildered by why you insist on doing it with Scapple instead of doing it with for example Mindnode or iThoughts, etc.

wa
washere
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:03 pm
Platform: Windows

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:52 pm Post

Because files in Scapple can be worked on further in Scapple and developed in time. Plus Scapple is integrated into Scrivener and will continue to be so more than any other app. Basically because many like me might like to use Scapple and Scrivener together for that and other good reasons, not lots of other apps you mention and scrivener.

However there might be other apps that I might look into other than Scapple considering the state of things here, particularly now. Many have great potential and lots of features already and importing into Scrivener or Rightnotes or Final Draft might be easier than from Scapple. I am making a list of features I like to see in future in some of those mindmap and writing apps.

Basically your last post is saying why use Scapple at all? Just ditch it and use other apps, like the ones you mentioned. You might have a point.

Best wishes.

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:57 pm Post

washere wrote:Basically your last post is saying why use Scapple at all? Just ditch it and use other apps, like the ones you mentioned. You might have a point.


No, it's saying "why trying to use Scapple for something it's not made for?". I use Scapple when I need a free form canvas for jotting down notes and ideas and re-arranging them to see a pattern or sort out my thoughts, but I use iThoughts when I need a mindmap to organize things in a hierarchy. Or Cloud Outliner when I only need a quick outline and not the 2D space of iThoughts to arrange stuff on. Different apps for different purposes.

wa
washere
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:03 pm
Platform: Windows

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:45 pm Post

lunk wrote:
washere wrote:Basically your last post is saying why use Scapple at all? Just ditch it and use other apps, like the ones you mentioned. You might have a point.


No, it's saying "why trying to use Scapple for something it's not made for?". I use Scapple when I need a free form canvas for jotting down notes and ideas and re-arranging them to see a pattern or sort out my thoughts, but I use iThoughts when I need a mindmap to organize things in a hierarchy. Or Cloud Outliner when I only need a quick outline and not the 2D space of iThoughts to arrange stuff on. Different apps for different purposes.



I will look into the apps you mentioned I should use instead of Scapple in your last two posts. There are many good ones.

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:54 pm Post

washere wrote:... the apps you mentioned I should use instead of Scapple ...


I am not saying what you should use. Only what I am using. That's a big difference...

wa
washere
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:03 pm
Platform: Windows

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:24 pm Post

lunk wrote:I am not saying what you should use. Only what I am using. That's a big difference...



lunk wrote:why trying to use Scapple for something it's not made for? ... I use iThoughts when I need a mindmap to organize things in a hierarchy. ... Or Cloud Outliner when I only need a quick outline and not the 2D space of iThoughts to arrange stuff on


So you say.

wa
washere
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:03 pm
Platform: Windows

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:40 pm Post

I repeat for the nth times, those saying why use Scapple for importing hierarchy and outlining and use other apps:
I do not need those functions for importing as I said often.

Not even asking for importing connections or even nodes imported perfectly most of the time from opml. Just asked for importing flattened nodes from opml some of the time would have been nice just like Scriv does it. And Sacpple exports it already despite "underlying philosophical" contradictions and serial attacks in this thread for a simple request that is already half incorporated. It really is outrageous not to mention self contradictory. Even not bothering to read a post before quoting it in a hostile manner.

I believe I stated this minimum requirement with accepted warning that many imports might fail, many many many many many times, yet apparently did not get through despite being stated in simple language many many many times.

Finally the tone here settled the matter for me and I am looking into other solutions with a different spirit.

Unbelievable behavior in this place.

Best wishes.

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:41 pm Post

washere wrote:Unbelievable behavior in this place.


I agree. Especially in this thread...

But I don't think we mean the same thing. :D

wa
washere
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:03 pm
Platform: Windows

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:10 pm Post

lunk wrote:
washere wrote:Unbelievable behavior in this place.


I agree. Especially in this thread...

But I don't think we mean the same thing. :D


Not just by you who does not read posts and serially attacks quoting those posts you have not read (2 reasons why to import, no need for hierarchy etc etc) in a hostile manner as proven in a few posts above and self confessed by you.

But also Specially officially too as can also be seen here. Unbelievable official way to treat customers.

I saved this thread.

Best wishes.

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:08 am Post

This is auser forum. You are a user, I am a user, hence you are not a customer in relation to me.

When you post lengthy posts in a user forum, where users discuss Scrivener/Scapple, you shouldn't be surprised if other users ask questions about things they find unclear or surprising.

Where was the hostility found?

User avatar
kewms
Posts: 3232
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:27 am Post

washere wrote:I believe I stated this minimum requirement with accepted warning that many imports might fail, many many many many many times, yet apparently did not get through despite being stated in simple language many many many times.


If many imports fail, while only a few work, what is the user benefit again? And why should L&L expect users to be patient with such poor behavior?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

wa
washere
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:03 pm
Platform: Windows

Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:28 pm Post

kewms wrote:
washere wrote:I believe I stated this minimum requirement with accepted warning that many imports might fail, many many many many many times, yet apparently did not get through despite being stated in simple language many many many times.


If many imports fail, while only a few work, what is the user benefit again?


Scrivener opml import function & code should be removed too if there was a shred of logic in what you say, not to mention "underlying philosophical" problems you said earlier there too.

Anyway I withdraw my request as I'm not keen on using products from companies whose appointed moderators address customers in terms we see here.

And why should L&L expect users to be patient with such poor behavior?

Katherine


If your language as an official representative of the company from the start to me out of the blue and how you address customers generally here and how you generalized customers and the whole of humanity in such negative prejudicial terms and condemned people in general does not bother the top company figures in charge, then that merely shows what mindset is being drilled in by the owners top-down that fosters such behavior. They're the real responsible ones.

Unbelievable.

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:44 pm Post

washere wrote:.. the top company figures in charge, then that merely shows what mindset is being drilled in by the owners top-down that fosters such behavior. They're the real responsible ones.


You might want to look at this page (http://www.literatureandlatte.com/about.php) describing the company. If you scroll down you find a presentation of the seven persons responsible for all the development, programming, etc. I guess the only "top company figure" is Keith and he is most likely the owner as well, and head of design, programming, etc. L&L isn't exactly like Apple... :)

As for being polite or hostile – you posted a request for something new in the app, one of the developers politely explained why they most likely won't add it, whereafter you not only repeated the request but did so in a rather agitated and forceful way, in several rather lengthy posts. Would you have preferred that they did not answer you at all? When I out of curiosity asked why you didn't use a mindmap app instead of trying to use Scapple as a mindmap, I got similarly lengthy replies suggesting that I hadn't read your posts.

Most children learn, as they grow up, that neither screaming nor sulking is a very successful way of getting what they want. Accepting reality for what it is, is another thing most people learn growing up... 8)

wa
washere
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:03 pm
Platform: Windows

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:07 pm Post

washere wrote:
kewms wrote:
washere wrote:I believe I stated this minimum requirement with accepted warning that many imports might fail, many many many many many times, yet apparently did not get through despite being stated in simple language many many many times.


If many imports fail, while only a few work, what is the user benefit again?


Scrivener opml import function & code should be removed too if there was a shred of logic in what you say, not to mention "underlying philosophical" problems you said earlier there too.

Anyway I withdraw my request as I'm not keen on using products from companies whose appointed moderators address customers in terms we see here.

And why should L&L expect users to be patient with such poor behavior?

Katherine


If your language as an official representative of the company from the start to me out of the blue and how you address customers generally here and how you generalized customers and the whole of humanity in such negative prejudicial terms and condemned people in general does not bother the top company figures in charge, then that merely shows what mindset is being drilled in by the owners top-down that fosters such behavior. They're the real responsible ones.

Unbelievable.