Question for Screenwriters

ni
nicka

Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:03 pm Post

Jayson, I appreciate your stepping in with a level head.

But look at his picture -- he doesn't have a head!

th
themakcompany

Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:07 pm Post

I'd like to say that I saw that and wrote that on purpose but I did not. Noticed it after I wrote it.
MAK

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:49 am Post

themakcompany wrote:Jayson, I appreciate your stepping in with a level head.

Indubitably, my patient, Jaysen, is a paragon of levelheadedness, albeit a levelhead that is upside down, and back to front.
Do take care
Dr Mulality
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

popcornflix

Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:10 am Post

Sean Coffee wrote:I call bullshit on that whole page-count target thing, especially in early drafts of a screenplay

I guess I'm just saying that, in my personal experience, when I'm feeling hung up on something like page count in Scrivener (it's happened), I'm actually hung up on something else, like story.

Not everyone writes the way you write.

In my work, page counts are important, from the very first draft. I need to know how long a scene is running, and how far I've padded out an Act. Before Scrivener, I would write each scene in FD in a scratch document, so I could see the actual length of the scene I was writing. Then I'd paste it into a master file of the draft. Since I was already working in chunks, using Scrivener suited me well.

I'm very grateful that Keith has added the Page Layout to the next version of Scrivener.
.:popcornFlix:.

popcornflix

Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:12 am Post

themakcompany wrote:Don't you think working in "chunks" is what every writer does? Or maybe I'm not clear on how "chunks" apply to screenwriting. Generally we outline, then outline index cards/scenes, then write from that. Each scene or index card is a "chunk?"

Exactly. When I'm under the gun, I break down the chunks even more. I end up outlining each scene and brainstorming moments and lines that will fit in the scene.

Scrivener is great for this.

th
themakcompany

Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:51 pm Post

Popcorn,

Can you please explain more clearly for me what you do now. Since you write screenplay like me you know the importance of page count from rough draft forward. When writing a draft, I'm assuming you write the scene in Scrivener screenplay mode and then when finished with the scene or anytime you want to check the page count, you export it to FD to see how long it is?

By the way, we will have to see what Page Layout is because Keith did tell me it will still not equate in anyway with FD. If that is true than I guess we will have to get used to knowing what a page in Page Layout equals in FD.
MAK

th
themakcompany

Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:53 pm Post

Popcorn,

One question I forgot to ask.

You write all your drafts in Scrivener except the very final one you export for formatting? If not and you actually write a draft in FD can I assume correctly that you keep a window with Scrivener open with your outlining ect. while you have another window open writing FD?

Thanks.
MAK

popcornflix

Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:15 pm Post

themakcompany wrote:Popcorn,

Can you please explain more clearly for me what you do now.

Basically, I write in scene-sized chunks in Scrivener, setting my window so about 1 page of FD script shows in the editor. Not precise, but it's a start. Since my scenes tend to be 2-3 pages long, it's possible to get a sense of the page count.

To make matters more complicated, I also use the screenwriting capabilities of NovaMind, a mind-mapping program. I can import it into scrivener via OmniOutliner. I export NM to OPML, and then using OO to convert OPML to MM, which Scrivener can import.

I export to Final Draft after the rough draft. I'm still figuring out a workflow for doing revisions from FD. I'm looking forward to the FDX import/export coming soon.

themakcompany wrote:Keith did tell me it will still not equate in anyway with FD.

I think the Page Layout will make it much easier to work with Final Draft.

al
albrecht

Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:33 am Post

here is what i do:

click "print" the current document and chose " save as pdf" to my desktop (two clicks)
open this pdf (another two clicks), then i check page numbers in the pdf by scrolling up and down.
- fast and reliable.
then i go back to scrivener to edit.
can't wait to have real page numbers, soon, though.

th
themakcompany

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:30 pm Post

Thanks.
With regards to page numbers coming in 2.0 I'm afraid we will run into a problem. Unless the page numbers are Final Draft it will not help and we are left still guessing. When I write as I'm sure most screenwriters do, knowing exactly where I am on the page count is crucial to the passing. I have mentioned to Keith Final Draft should allow Scrivener to import so when it comes to the writing the actual script we no longer would have to worry.
What I think I'm going to do is have two windows open. One with Scrivener and all my scenes, steps, notes etc. One with Final Draft as I'm actually writing it. Would love to have all in one program but again KB said this will not happens so we need to find a work around.
MAK

St
Stel

Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:20 pm Post

I write screenplays and novels, but I don't actually write either in Scrivener.

Fo me, Scrivener has replaced what used to be folders and boxes filled with notes, scenes, character breakdowns, outlines, and research etc.

If I have an idea for a scene or piece of dialogue, it goes in scrivener first. I tend to then move the pieces around a lot, play with everything, and then when it's in kind of a shape I can work with I tend to then export the scene/chapter to my writing app of choice, either FD or Pages right now.