Custom Icons

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:10 am Post

Do you use them, do you have any that you'd be willing to share, do you make them, and can tell us how to make them too? I am interested in getting my hands on some or learning how to make them myself. If anyone has any insight as to where I can get some or on how to make them, please let me know.

Thanks.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:06 pm Post

I don't use custom graphics files for icons anymore, since they're not supported on iOS, I now rely on "text" icons, either using letters or emoji, which can be most easily accessed inside Scrivener for iOS.

The icons I used to use were found by searching for "favicon" and other criteria to get at the image I wanted. Favicons are the icons found in your web browser's URL bar on many sites, and often displayed next to bookmarks in browsers as well.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:25 pm Post

All of the basics should be covered in the user manual, under §7.4.1, Creating Your Own Icons, starting on page 117.

I make most of my custom icons. I prefer that to importing from other sources, as I can more easily match the existing art style myself than hunt for stuff that does.

Here’s one. I use this for items that are basically just links to other things. Either they are strictly title+synopsis with some Bookmarks in the inspector, or the text content of the item is an <$include> tag pointing to some other chunk of text in the binder.
Attachments
Linked Item.tiff
Linked Item.tiff (11.57 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles