Using the trial: the only reason I won't purchase...

ta
tarzanofmars
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:02 am Post

I really like this program, it is intuitive, intelligent and not overwhelming, I can focus on writing and the composition feature is really nice.

However, as a great speller and a rapid and imprecise two finger typer, the fact that the autocorrect does not work is a deal breaker for me.

I didn't realize how much time it saves me now that it's gone. My mistakes are physical, my fingers get a letter ahead of my mind or visa versa and not having to stop to back up and manually correct is a must for me.
I have a 22,000 word novel in progress I want to finish in Scrivener, but I just won't make the purchase until the autocorrect is working.

I've read all the 'if you stand upside down and restart your laptop while singing Merry Christmas it works 66% of the time' tricks and tried them all and none of them have worked, but here's the thing- I don't care if one did. I want it to work without some hocus pocus.

Yes, I am running Sierra 10.12.5, I've seen it acknowledged as a known bug. Will it be patched soon?

I love the program, but won't purchase until this is solved.

Regards :)

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:29 am Post

When you say 'autocorrect doesn't work', what do you mean?

The feature does work for most of us, so please describe what:

1. which version you're using
2. what behaviour you're expecting
3. what you're seeing
4. any steps you've taken

Cheers.

mg
mgowin

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:00 pm Post

I'm having the same issue—autocorrect isn't working in 3.0.1 (neither was it working in 3.0).

In Preferences, the option to "Correct spelling errors as you type" is checked but misspelled words aren't highlighted or corrected.

By contrast, "Fix capitalization of sentences" and "Capitalize 'i'" both work.

I'm on MacOS 10.12.6. Autocorrect worked fine in Scrivener 2.

br
brookter

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:30 pm Post

OK.

Please confirm that:

1. Preferences > Corrections > Autocorrection > Correct spelling errors as you type is ticked

2. Edit > Spelling & Grammar > Check Spelling while Typing is ticked.

Both need to ticked -- the reason is that No 1. sets the default for projects. No 2. allows you to toggle the setting on and off quickly if you need to (cmd-\ is the shortcut), without changing the basic default. (I'm only a user -- I think that's the reason anyway.)

With both those ticked, does it work? It does for me.

HTH.

mg
mgowin

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:49 pm Post

brookter wrote:OK.

Please confirm that:

2. Edit > Spelling & Grammar > Check Spelling while Typing is ticked.

That does it—many thanks!

MG

br
brookter

Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:08 pm Post

Glad it helped!

ta
tarzanofmars
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:19 am Post

Hi, none of those work for me. One of the 'tricks' I had referred to was to click and unclick that settings several times and it supposedly would start working, but it never did.

So there is no autocorrect function whatsoever, If I misspell a word it does not underline it in red, when I right click it offers no spelling options, and when I click to spellcheck the entire document it finds no errors.

I am using the version of the trial that I downloaded from this site just a few days ago.
Edit: it says 3.0 (75)

kewms

Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:04 am Post

I don't know that it will fix the issue, but version 3.0.1 was released a couple of days ago and includes fixes for a number of bugs.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:12 am Post

Have you tried restarting your Mac?
And does the spell chech work outside Scrivener?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

de
derick

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:43 pm Post

I am having the exact same problem in 3.0.2. No amount of toggling settings will get auto-correct, quote smartening etc. to work.

Rebooting hasn't helped.

Every other application on my system auto-corrects etc. just fine.

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:24 pm Post

derick wrote:I am having the exact same problem in 3.0.2. No amount of toggling settings will get auto-correct, quote smartening etc. to work.

Rebooting hasn't helped.

Every other application on my system auto-corrects etc. just fine.
I don't know if it's relevant to Scrivener 3* or your circumstances but have you seen this:
Spell Check Stops Working

Symptoms

Misspelled words will not be highlighted in red, straight quotes will not automatically switch to smart quotes, double-hyphens and triple periods will not switch to emdashes and ellipsis (respectively). This may happen immediately after installation, or it may happen after years of the spell-check working correctly.

Cause

This is caused by a timing error where individual elements of the editor window are initialized in the wrong order, resulting in a disconnection with the operating system's spell-checking system. The timing is so sensitive that it impacts very few systems, and when it does, it may not impact them all of the time. For example, a system that was working for years may suddenly experience this problem after a system update or the installation of new software, because the overall timing of the system has shifted just slightly.

Workaround

Although it results due to a timing error, the actual trigger is a specific feature that can be controlled: Page View mode. It can only occur when Page View mode is enabled when the project is opened. To get around the problem, open the project and disable Page View by going to "View > Page View > Hide Page View." Then close and reopen the project. Spell-checking (and its associated replacement features) should now be working. At that point, Page View mode can be re-enabled if needed, although it may need to be disabled before the project is closed, or the problem may re-occur. We are continuing to work on a more permanent solution to this problem.

https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... own-issues

*In Scriv 3, the Page View toggle is located at View > Text Editing > Show (or Hide) Page View.

Other than that early troubleshooting effort, I'd try booting the OS into Safe Mode, test, then reboot normally and test: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Good Luck.
Scrivener user not affiliated with L&L.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:33 pm Post

I know it was said earlier, but do ensure that Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Check Spelling While Typing is ticked. If it isn't, auto-correction won't work.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

de
derick

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:39 pm Post

Thanks both of those are set as indicated. It started working again mysteriously so perhaps I did the page view switch at some point.

In almost fifteen years on a Mac I've never had a problem that required booting into safe mode - can't imagine it would fix something like this, that's limited to a single app.

de
derick

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:48 am Post

Well this must be the Page View error described above, or something else equally arcane. After using Scrivener for about 6 hours in the last two days with no issues, suddenly spelling and smart quotes stopped working. Restarting Scrivener fixed it. But surely there is some way this can be fixed to prevent it in the future, right?

The linked support article above reads "We are continuing to work on a more permanent solution to this problem" but that was written for Snow Leopard....

cu
cubem3

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:46 pm Post

I have the same problems using the 3.02 demo.

Have tried all the "solutions" above, plus others I've found on the internet, but nothing works. Frustrating x100.

Not buying 3.0 until this is resolved. Not being able to type is a BIG no-no.