MindNode found a way to do update pricing!

Az
Azure&Green
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:41 am Post

Hi Guys, I know that L&L has been very frustrated by the Mac App store and it's limitations. For the record, me too.

Today, I bought the new version of MindNode from the great folks over at IdeasOnCanvas. It's a cool app, but the most exciting part was I painlessly received update pricing for my Mac App store purchased copy of the previous version! Yeah, you read that right!

MindNode on Mac App Store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mindnode-5/id1289197285?mt=12

So, Keith, have a look at what their doing? It might be something that can work for Scrivener as well. I would love to write a review on the Mac App Store, but I can't since I bought it directly. If I could get update pricing, I'd buy it again just to write a glowing review!

Btw, it looks like they are using an app registered custom URL scheme to verify that the old version is installed. Very clever!

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:31 pm Post

I've seen a couple of apps do something like this. They do it using in-app purchases. The problem with taking this route, though, is that you have to let everyone download the app for free and then unlock features using in-app purchases (which can be cheaper for people who have owned another of your apps, such as an earlier version). So, the way these apps (including MindNode) work is:

1. You get it for free. The free version allows you to view and share files or is otherwise limited - you can't edit files.
2. You get a limited period of full use (a trial) - two weeks in the case of MindNode - after which it reverts to the free read-only version.
3. You can unlock the full version using in-app purchases.

It would be very difficult to create a read-only version of Scrivener, though, given the number of views and editors - it's not a single-window app with one main editor at its core (in contrast to MindNode or even our own Scapple). I also don't like the idea of Scrivener being listed as "free with in-app purchases" - I much prefer potential customers to be able to see the price up front on the main listing page. I do think this is a clever way that apps have got around the no-update-pricing limitation of the App Store, and salute other developers for doing this, but I'm not sure it's the best approach for Scrivener.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."