Feature Request - Dark / Night Mode

devinganger
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:09 am Post

kb wrote:
devinganger wrote:Out of morbid curiosity, and a fondness for the days of ResEdit, how many resources are we talking about overall, KB? Hundreds? Thousands? I get a headache just thinking about it.

You're talking around 350 images that would need variants, and so around 175 code switches for that (since all images have two variants, Retina and non-Retina). Then every background element such as header bars, footer bars, inspector bars, split view dividers and so on would need alternative drawing code. Anything using colour such as labels would need alternative ways of drawing to work with dark backgrounds. Custom button selections would need alternative drawing routines. Apple elements with no dark variant, such as outline and table header bars, would need overriding and custom drawing applied. And so on...

It took the best part of a month to implement Dark Mode in iOS, which has a fraction of the UI elements the macOS version has. So you can imagine how that would play out for macOS!

A more feasible approach would be to offer an option for using a darker grey for headers, footers and inspector backgrounds that still works with current colours and elements, and then to allow theme Preferences to do the rest.

That's right around what I figured -- thank you for going into more detail.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets

da
darinb
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:03 pm Post

KB wrote:I wonder if just an easier way of switching between themes might be a good option for this, perhaps having a "Themes" submenu in the "Scrivener" menu... Hmm.

All the best,
Keith

Well, since you mentioned it...I wasn't going to post anything about this because you just released the new version and don't need any buzzkill, but strangely I was thinking of just this issue on the drive to my workshop today.

I, for one, would love to have a themes manager of some sort where I could load user-created color schemes. Setting them myself is a sort of pain in the butt, plus to do it right will take real work to get the colors just so....

As you know, in programming editors it is common to have various pre-installed and user-created themes to suit individual preferences that are easy to download and share.

Anyway, one vote for a Themes manager....

--Darin

dh
dhbuckley
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:54 am Post

Just want to say how GREAT dark mode is in iOS. Thanks for it.

to
tophee
Platform: Windows

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:21 pm Post

ghostmonkey wrote:Also, my personal attempt at a dark mode:

https://imgur.com/a/db4UU

Would you be willing to share it? (Options -> Appearance -> Manage -> Save Preferences)

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:03 pm Post

KB wrote: I wonder if just an easier way of switching between themes might be a good option for this, perhaps having a "Themes" submenu in the "Scrivener" menu... Hmm.

Would it make sense to combine a themes manager with (or mimic) the Layouts menu and control window? I like the idea of themes, but more accessible way to swap them out/save them would make the difference between me using the feature and not. They're kind of related in that they affect the appearance of the Scrivener window, and being able to swap layouts and themes at the same time or with the same UI would be nice.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".