Section Type mismatch, Binder vs. Compile

dr
drmajorbob
Platform: Mac

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:07 am Post

If I go through all my scenes (a couple hundred of them) and give some a "Scene with Prefix" section type and others "Scene without Prefix", I have to do that all over again in Compile. It may be nice (in some situations) for a Compile preset to override Binder settings in this way, but for my purposes, all it does is double my work.

I suggest adding a button to Compile that says "Use Binder section types".

KB
Site Admin

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:52 pm Post

For a start, there's no need to go through every scene and manually set the section type. Instead, use the options in Project Settings > Section Types > Default Types by Structure. Here you can tell Scrivener that, for instance, all text documents should be "Scene with Prefix" by default (or all text documents at a certain level in the binder). That way you only have to set the section type for any items that are different from the majority. (Please see the section on Section Types in the new tutorial.)

I'm not quite sure what you mean about Compile, though - why would you need to do that again in Compile? In Compile, the contents there shows all of the section types just as they appear in the project. Could you please explain a bit more about what the problem is?

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

dr
drmajorbob

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:35 pm Post

On the right side of Compile, where documents are listed, each has a Section Type setting and dropdown. If they don't match the Section Type I gave them in the Binder, but I want them to match the Binder, I have to change them individually in that pane. Don't I? Your notion of setting a default and changing only a few could work, but I'm already doing that (essentially) in the Binder. Doing it again is a waste of time.

Give me that button. Please.

dr
drmajorbob

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:39 pm Post

By the way, I'm having to do this because I can't find the version two Compile/Title Adjustments gear that exempts some documents from a Prefix/Suffix. If that still exists, perhaps I should use it.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:58 pm Post

That list in the Compile shows exactly the same section types as you set in the binder. So the button you are suggesting would do nothing because there is no difference between the section types set in the binder/inspector and the ones shown in Compile. Perhaps you could show a screenshot to demonstrate what you mean and where the differences are, because there is clearly some misunderstanding here. Perhaps you mean something different by "match the binder"?

And setting the default types in Project Settings is definitely the best way to go to avoid having to change them all manually. Have you tried reading the section in the updated tutorial on Section Types and Compile, or the videos we have on our Learn & Support page? Those should clear much up, I hope.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."