Scriv 3, the Forum and the new 'Flatter' look

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:02 pm Post

Tacitus wrote:Some people seem to have found their way round the new layout quicker than me but things like real work to tend to interrupt matters :D

I sincerely hope you're working on a new history of the Roman Empire, your other one is a tad outdated. :D

nontroppo

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:02 pm Post

Tacitus wrote:Possibly there's a new set and they've been installed elsewhere for some reason. I'm big on icons for sorting stuff, so do you know of anywhere that supplies custom Scriv icons? There used to be some years ago, but no idea now.

There is a very nifty new feature, where you can use any unicode emoji — select a binder item then Documents ▸ Change Icon ▸ Icon from Text… and choose from any of the ever expanding emoji world. (§7.4.1 of the user manual has more details on icon selection).

Kinsey: :D

au
auxbuss

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:33 pm Post

Ooh! That's an excellent new feature. Very useful. And fun too!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:34 pm Post

Thanks Kinsey and Tacitus! Glad to hear your getting benefit from the manual. :D Me I look at it and I see a thousand horrific things that need to be edited and changed, but you probably know how that goes. :mrgreen:
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ta
Tacitus

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:48 pm Post

nontroppo wrote:There is a very nifty new feature, where you can use any unicode emoji — select a binder item then Documents ▸ Change Icon ▸ Icon from Text… and choose from any of the ever expanding emoji world. (§7.4.1 of the user manual has more details on icon selection).
Kinsey: :D

Thanks I'll have a look at that later on, but I was really thinking of the more conventional ones. There seem to be some in the video tutorials that I can't find. Probably just me.

I've had a look in ~/library/app support/scrivener and all the icons are .png Extracting the set from the V3 installer and they're all .tiff - maybe higher res. Are the tiff ones supposed to overwrite the .png set as in my case they have't.

I've just recalibrated my display and done a modest tweak to the accessibility/contrast setting and it's made a considerable improvement. I think a little play with the background colours and we should be good to go.
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape

nontroppo

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:07 pm Post

I've only used Documents ▸ Change Icon ▸ Manage Custom Icons…, and don't bother trying to do this manually so I can't comment. Do you have a screenshot from the video of which icon you are missing? The nice thing about the unicode text icons is they are vectors so always have the best resolution (no need for dealing with X1 and X2 icon sets...)

Ta
Tacitus

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:56 pm Post

Kinsey wrote:I sincerely hope you're working on a new history of the Roman Empire, your other one is a tad outdated. :D

My beloved father in law, Gnaeus Julius Agricola, remarked only the other day that the English whom he found difficult to subdue, still exhibit the characteristics of an Island race with a noted antipathy towards us Europeans . Indeed even now some still enquire as to what the Europeans provided for their greater advancement, comfort and security.

How little has changed since I completed my Annals, with their account of the devious nature of politicians and their desire for advancement to the exclusion of all else. Indeed some of your Orators , one especially who can quote the noble Cicero indulge in political deceit that would disgrace a Roman Senator.

Ta
Tacitus

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:00 pm Post

nontroppo wrote:I've only used Documents ▸ Change Icon ▸ Manage Custom Icons…, and don't bother trying to do this manually so I can't comment. Do you have a screenshot from the video of which icon you are missing? The nice thing about the unicode text icons is they are vectors so always have the best resolution (no need for dealing with X1 and X2 icon sets...)

The two that I did notice were what appear to be the default icons for the Binder and the Research folder, neither of which are in my Scriv icon folder.
Don't know if Support are monitoring this but I would like to know if the new set are tiff files rather than the png of the earlier ones. I would have thought the new fonts folder might have overwritten the old, but possibly not, in case anyone had their own custom ones in there.

AmberV

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:09 pm Post

I’m not quite clear on what the problem is, sorry to say. Are you saying that you have an old Research folder icon in your binder? The way they ought to look can be found on pg 88, figure 6.3. Are you seeing something else in your binder, and if so could you post a screenshot?
Ioa Petra'ka

Ta
Tacitus

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 pm Post

AmberV wrote:I’m not quite clear on what the problem is, sorry to say. Are you saying that you have an old Research folder icon in your binder? The way they ought to look can be found on pg 88, figure 6.3. Are you seeing something else in your binder, and if so could you post a screenshot?

It's not a problem as such and I think I can see what's happened. The standard Binder and Reearch folder icons must be hardwired into the templates. Over the years - and I've used Scriv since around v1.7 - I've created a new default template from one that had custom icons and until now had no reason to notice the originals. The screen shot shows this: the left hand one is newly created from the default blank template, the one on the right has been created using *my* standard default which somewhere gained custom icons.
However, shouldn't the default Binder/Research icons be in the ~/library/application support/scrivener/icons folder?
Attachments
Scriv_Icons.png
Scriv_Icons.png (17.22 KiB) Viewed 724 times

AmberV

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:50 pm Post

That’s true. Those three root folders have always had hard-wired defaults that are not otherwise accessible as custom icons and are not located in any support folders. As you note though, you can override them and create your own templates.

The screen shot shows this: the left hand one is newly created from the default blank template, the one on the right has been created using my standard default which somewhere gained custom icons.

Do you mean that you once had a custom icon applied to the draft folder (“Paper” here), and now it isn’t working? Do you have the original template from 2.x that I could examine to see if something when wrong with upgrading it?
Ioa Petra'ka

Ta
Tacitus

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:23 pm Post

AmberV wrote:That’s true. Those three root folders have always had hard-wired defaults that are not otherwise accessible as custom icons and are not located in any support folders. As you note though, you can override them and create your own templates.

That's what I thought although it's something I'd not realised until now despite being a long time user.
AmberV wrote:Do you have the original template from 2.x that I could examine to see if something when wrong with upgrading it?

No it's gone. With the advent of V3 I took the opportunity to have a clear out of some of the templates I'd amassed over the years, stuff I was never likely to use. What I use Scriv for is more or less the same, it's simply the topic and length that's different and I can add custom folders to suit. Any specific requirements by publishers style guides are taken care of in the final clean-up using Nisus Pro.

Thanks to all for the help.

br
brookter

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:36 pm Post

Tacitus wrote:My beloved father in law, Gnaeus Julius Agricola, remarked only the other day that the English whom he found difficult to subdue, still exhibit the characteristics of an Island race with a noted antipathy towards us Europeans .

Your mum's dad always struck me as a bit of oik, to be honest. Came up here creating wastelands, then had the cheek to call it peace. Slaughtered poor old Galgacus's mob just for pointing it out, too.

Of course, some of them down that London way fell for it -- "Look at us, all Roman and civilised like" they said, poncing around in their new togas.

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocatur, sed pars servitutis sit, me old muckers" we told them.

Would they listen?

Ki
Kinsey

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:59 pm Post

brookter wrote:
Tacitus wrote:My beloved father in law, Gnaeus Julius Agricola, remarked only the other day that the English whom he found difficult to subdue, still exhibit the characteristics of an Island race with a noted antipathy towards us Europeans .

Your mum's dad always struck me as a bit of oik, to be honest. Came up here creating wastelands, then had the cheek to call it peace. Slaughtered poor old Galgacus's mob just for pointing it out, too.

Of course, some of them down that London way fell for it -- "Look at us, all Roman and civilised like" they said, poncing around in their new togas.

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocatur, sed pars servitutis sit, me old muckers" we told them.

Would they listen?

When you think about it, the Sasanaigh have been irritating their neighbours for millennia. If they hadn't invented Scrivener, they'd be utterly irredeemable.

xa
xaserax

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:04 pm Post

love the new look of Scriv 3, particularly composition mode. going to do some fiddling to try and make a "night mode" that looks like composition mode for the regular screen.