iCloud Sync

Lu
LuckyJack
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:32 pm Post

Keith, you have a most wonderful philosophy of customer support. My only regret is popping off and consuming so much of your time!

Dropbox works great, and I guess I need to man up and install it on my systems. I have shied away because I can't get away from iCloud and didn't want to install a second sync service. No reason not to, and I already use Dropbox's web interface for sharing some business data with a partner.

I had forgotten about that option to let Apple decide what to stop syncing. Evil. If I want something synced, I want it synced.

Thanks for your detailed explanation, and kudos to you and your team.

ca
cammot
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:12 am Post

leb85711 wrote:
wayofthefuture wrote: Stop the Dropbox crap. Start supporting iCloud sync.

Scrivener probably isn't for you. Live with it.

Dropbox valuation is still in flux, and I haven't kept up with the latest so my numbers may be somewhat out of date. But at the end of July it was still valued at $9.4B, significantly higher than its competitor Box. Based on their run rate, Dropbox is projected to pull in over $1B in revenues this year. Yes, their 9.4 multiplier is high - but this is a signal that the market sees a bright future for this product. This is borne out if you dig into their investors. All the heavyweights have placed big bets on Dropbox.

Your upset that iCloud sync is not available is understandable. Your hyperbole is unforgivable.

I was excited to learn there was a new upgrade, but was soon disappointed when I found out there was no improvement to the seamless iCloud intergration that so many have been begging for years. Responses like “Scrivener probably isn't for you. Live with it.” and/or “Your upset that iCloud sync is not available is understandable. ”; are the same standard one liners uttered before, and a poor response, IMHO - pity !.

kewms

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:09 am Post

cammot wrote:
I was excited to learn there was a new upgrade, but was soon disappointed when I found out there was no improvement to the seamless iCloud intergration that so many have been begging for years. Responses like “Scrivener probably isn't for you. Live with it.” and/or “Your upset that iCloud sync is not available is understandable. ”; are the same standard one liners uttered before, and a poor response, IMHO - pity !.

Note that the response came from a forum member, not a Literature & Latte staff member. You may find the response from 'KB' (the developer) much more informative.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ju
JungleNYC

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:09 pm Post

KB wrote:1. It is perfectly safe to use iCloud Drive to share your projects between computers just as you use Dropbox.

Hey there! Jumping on…

I am a non-power user. I.E,., I really only have a couple of simple projects under development, and ONLY work on one computer. However I do have my projects stored in my iCloud folder hierarchy because, well, that's where I store most things. I have never had a problem, but lately have been served up the dreaded "CHOOSE WHICH VERSION" window. The past 2 months I've gotten a few of these with TWO competing versions, but I've recently been confronted with THREE competing versions.

Is this an Apple problem? My iCloud has been a tad funky lately w/ Photos, music, etc. Which is kinda scary.

I take a lot of care to SAVE and CLOSE each time, too. So…should I just get my projects out of iCloud and off my desktop?

I'm thinking "probably" :)

xiamenese

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:22 pm Post

In my experience, iCloud can be very slow in updating, and unless you're looking at a finder window, there's no indication of how far it has got with the process. So, while it should be usable, it will take even more care than Dropbox or Sync—both of which have a menu bar icon indicating that they're still in the process of sync'ing—to make sure the process has completed.

Perhaps you're closing properly (you shouldn't need to save as Scrivener should be doing that automatically on project close, but check the preferences on that), but not always allowing iCloud enough time to upload fully before you put your computer to sleep or close it down. If that's the case, you'll have different versions on your disk and in your iCloud account.

Mark
The Scrivenerato sometimes known as Mr X.
MacBook Pro Retina 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MacBook Pro 17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …