Forum software changes (I don't know where to put this)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:24 pm Post

ScriverTid wrote:…the second shows the size of the text after posting - see how ridiculously small it is?

I am seeing nothing like that myself. As I mentioned earlier, for me the font is quite large by default. I actually zoom our site out down to 80%. Here is what it looks like at 100% though:

Notice how the font is a completely different weight and size. Are you using something that changes the appearance of sites? It should be, I think, closer to what you see when you are composing. It would help to know what browser you use.

Unrelated to previous posts here, but the new font is really a really bad design decision. When typing, I can’t differentiate between commas and periods/full stops: , .
Also, it’s incredibly hard on my eyes due to how faint the lines are. It honestly makes me not want to visit the forums, even though I want to participate in giving feedback for the Windows beta…

Here's a Stylish theme if you want to use it:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document domain("literatureandlatte.blinkio.co.uk"), domain("literatureandlatte.com") {
html {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important;}
textarea { font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important;}
.common-questions__listing h3{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important;}
.subnav li a:after{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
.subnav li.subnav__buy-now a{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
.subnav li a:active,.device-desktop .subnav li a:hover{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
.subnav li.subnav__download a:active,.device-desktop .subnav li.subnav__download a:hover{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
.subnav li.subnav__buy-now a:active,.device-desktop .subnav li.subnav__buy-now a:hover{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
.subnav li a{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
.common-questions__listing__section--open h3{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
.features__icons h3{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
.forum #viewprofile .details dt,.forum #viewprofile .profile-details dt{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
.accordion__title {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important;}
.text-filter {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important;}
strong { font-weight: bold !important; }
.forum .forumtitle, .forum .topictitle, .forum li.header2 dt, .forum li.header2 dd { font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important; font-weight: bold; font-size: 1.1em; }
}

Also, a bottom button to return to the forum index seems to be a popular ask…

Yeah I have it on the list for them to look at. There are a billion links in the default skin and so naturally people are going to find the ones they prefer and forget the others. I’ve never even be cognisant of that link since I hit Home when I’m done with a thread. That works no matter how far into the thread you get. :)

I am distressed that “mark all topics read” and “Mark subforums read” links are not available in subforums and forums respectively.

Hmm, I thought we had them put those back in—I even see the very top level has a place for that under the search bar. So yeah that should be in.

By the way I’ve merged this thread with the other one. It doesn’t really make sense to be discussing forum feedback in two different threads—sorry for the confusion though as that process interleaves the conversation a bit!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Fa
FadedStardust
Platform: Windows

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:35 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Here's a Stylish theme if you want to use it:

@-moz-document domain("literatureandlatte.com") {
.common-questions__listing h3{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important;}
.subnav li.subnav__buy-now a{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
.subnav li a:active,.device-desktop .subnav li a:hover{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
.subnav li.subnav__download a:active,.device-desktop .subnav li.subnav__download a:hover{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
.subnav li.subnav__buy-now a:active,.device-desktop .subnav li.subnav__buy-now a:hover{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
.common-questions__listing__section--open h3{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
.forum #viewprofile .details dt,.forum #viewprofile .profile-details dt{font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif !important}
/* * {background-color: white !important; color: black !important; } */
/* a { text-decoration: underline; } */
}

Thank you soooo much! This makes the site much more usable for me!

Sc
ScriverTid
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:11 pm Post

Ok, the text size thing now seems to be resolved, though I echo what others have said about it being "thin, faint and spidery". A meatier font would be preferable, don't you agree? Or the same font we had before?

Can we have the forum index link back at the bottom of topics please? The natural tendency is to read the latest (unread) posts, which automatically leaves us at the bottom of the page. It was so easy to just click there to go back to the index, without having to bounce back to the top of the page to click. (Sure, I could just "Goback" in my browser, but that wouldn't clear the 'unread' colour on the left of the index list).

Please, pretty please?

(I'm using Safari 9 in OS X 10.9.5. I've put the Stylish code in but I suspect the 'spidery' font is already Helvetica, or a variant thereof? I could edit the Stylish code, I suppose - would it work if I replaced every reference to Helvetica to (e.g.) Georgia?)

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:02 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
Silverdragon wrote:While I’m glad that this functionality is available, i’d prefer the explicit text link, please.

I’m not sure what that is referring to or where it would fit. I never used a text link or had any awareness of one.

It used to appear to the left of the upper page list once you'd tapped on the thread. On small screens, it appeared instead of the page list, which only appeared at the bottom.

I usually use the forum on my iPhone, but now I must use either my iPad or my Mac because so much is missing from the small screen. Bread crumbs do not appear on my iPhone! And yes, I've reset the cache. I'm attaching two marked-up screenshots to illustrate. Thanks for listening.
55EE79A8-E1E2-48D2-9AB1-7DEE4861C1B2.jpeg
55EE79A8-E1E2-48D2-9AB1-7DEE4861C1B2.jpeg (627.55 KiB) Viewed 416 times
014344F8-3B1A-4EB7-A642-95A5EAC7E97A.jpeg
014344F8-3B1A-4EB7-A642-95A5EAC7E97A.jpeg (841.67 KiB) Viewed 416 times
So you know where I'm coming from:
• I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
• Mac Scrivener 2.9 & 3.0.0, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)
• iOS Scrivener 1.1.4, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.2

AmberV

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:20 pm Post

Ahhh, iPhone/Pad/etc. Sorry I think you said that but it didn’t click and I’ve just been looking at the site on my Mac. Thanks for the annotations! I never really noticed those links before, I’ll put them on the list for them to take a look at.
Ioa Petra'ka

gr

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 pm Post

AmberV wrote:The little orange button the left of the thread title is what I’ve always used to jump to the first unread post, and that seems to still be working for me.

Maybe those tiny little click bugs could be a little less grudging -- finnicky to target with a mouse, hopeless with a finger. That on is just like the tiny post links to tthe right by the last poster's handle. How many times have I ended up on the user profile page instead of the last post?! (It is a crap shoot on a touch screen, for sure.)

Anyway, I do have a sense that both of these mini dog-earred doc icon links are now somewhat out of keeping with the new design -- far too grudging in size and space. The new forum style grants more space to emptiness, and a more open and forgiving way to incorporate these two links could be worked up.

Update: Like Silverdragon, I never had any inkling that orange icon did something!
Last edited by gr on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat

"Perhaps the true book is the one on the far side of the prism."

gr

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:59 pm Post

shorn wrote:: I did not notice the links because they are an almost invisible dark brown on darker brown, and somehow I did not mouse over them.

Yeah, I should rework my avatar, because it is all black with transparency -- hence now showing up black on very dark brown on that bar. or rather, not showing up!

AmberV

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:11 pm Post

I just don’t know how you manage to target those tiny little click bugs – finnicky with a mouse, hopeless with a finger.

I don’t browse much on a phone, but I’ve always made heavy use of zoom when doing so as I don’t care for mobile-only designs by and large, and desktop designs demand more precision in general. So I just flick zoom on the thing and you can’t really miss it then.

As for with the mouse—I tend not to I think. I activate most links with the keyboard. I type in the first few letters of a link I want to go to and press return—and for stuff like that where the thing I want to activate is next to the link, I (shift-)tab to it.

Like right now. I'm not going to reach for the mouse and click "Preview" or "Submit", I'm going to hit Tab,Tab,Space.
Ioa Petra'ka

gr

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:23 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
I just don’t know how you manage to target those tiny little click bugs – finnicky with a mouse, hopeless with a finger.

I don’t browse much on a phone, but I’ve always made heavy use of zoom when doing so as I don’t care for mobile-only designs by and large, and desktop designs demand more precision in general. So I just flick zoom on the thing and you can’t really miss it then.

As for with the mouse—I tend not to I think. I activate most links with the keyboard. I type in the first few letters of a link I want to go to and press return—and for stuff like that where the thing I want to activate is next to the link, I (shift-)tab to it.

Like right now. I'm not going to reach for the mouse and click "Preview" or "Submit", I'm going to hit Tab,Tab,Space.

Sorry, my opening line there was really a rhetorical flourish. I wasn't really wondering, I admit. :oops: Rather, I meant, in high rhetorical style, to imply that 'those tiny little click bugs are far too grudging'. And as the post went on to say, maybe those tiny bits are no longer quite in keeping with the new style.

I should have spoken more straightforwardly on such a busy day.

Sc
ScriverTid

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:32 am Post

AmberV

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:04 pm Post

As noted before (I think), I already have the request to put post-thread navigation links on the list.

The font isn't Helvetica, it's Effra. The previous forum skin uses Helvetica, so if you were comfortable with that you should find it works okay.
Ioa Petra'ka

Bridey

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:42 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
Here's a Stylish theme if you want to use it:

@-moz-document domain("literatureandlatte.com") {
/* * {background-color: white !important; color: black !important; } */
/* a { text-decoration: underline; } */
}

Ioa, how does a user get their browser to load that theme?

I tried loading it as a style sheet in Safari's preferences, but that didn't work, even after a relaunch and a reboot.

AmberV

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:02 pm Post

Firstly you need the Stylish extension installed into your browser. Secondly, I found that with the Safari version of that extension, the outer two lines of my code snippet should be removed: that is the part referring to "mozilla" stuff on the first line, and then the very last curly bracket.
Ioa Petra'ka

Bridey

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:17 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Firstly you need the Stylish extension installed into your browser. Secondly, I found that with the Safari version of that extension, the outer two lines of my code snippet should be removed: that is the part referring to "mozilla" stuff on the first line, and then the very last curly bracket.

I didn't realise Stylish is an extension. Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Sc
ScriverTid

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:09 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Firstly you need the Stylish extension installed into your browser. Secondly, I found that with the Safari version of that extension, the outer two lines of my code snippet should be removed: that is the part referring to "mozilla" stuff on the first line, and then the very last curly bracket.

Now it works! Much better - thanks. :-)