Forum software changes (I don't know where to put this)

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 20570
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Santiago de Compostela, Galiza
Contact:

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:14 pm Post

Great! Glad to help.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

User avatar
Jot
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:35 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:32 pm Post

Congratulations on all the updates and releases. I really appreciate how much work you've all put in (been there, done that).

My only issue is with the display font of the new look forum.

It is just way too fine and spidery (as someone previously has said) for me to read comfortably. I've found most of the other bits I've habitually used (new posts, first posts) okay, but this font is a shocker.

Assuming the forum is still in phpBB, could you not make the default, garden variety theme available to tragic people like myself who have vision issues (it's a simple setting in the ACP)?
J

Sc
ScriverTid
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 9:38 am
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:50 am Post

Jot wrote:My only issue is with the display font of the new look forum.

It is just way too fine and spidery (as someone previously has said) for me to read comfortably. I've found most of the other bits I've habitually used (new posts, first posts) okay, but this font is a shocker.

If you download the Stylish extension for your browser (assuming you don't already have it), then copy and paste Amber's code of a few posts back into a new style (click the new S button in your browser header bar, then Edit / New style, bearing in mind Amber's alteration if you're using Safari), you will see 100% improvement. The font is once more 'strong' and clear, not thin and spidery.

User avatar
Jot
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:35 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:00 pm Post

ScriverTid wrote:If you download the Stylish extension for your browser (assuming you don't already have it), then copy and paste Amber's code of a few posts back into a new style (click the new S button in your browser header bar, then Edit / New style, bearing in mind Amber's alteration if you're using Safari), you will see 100% improvement. The font is once more 'strong' and clear, not thin and spidery.

Thanks ScriverTid and Ioa. I've installed the extension and my eyes thank you both!

Phew.
J

sc
scshrugged
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:55 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:23 pm Post

AmberV wrote:. . .Here's a Stylish theme if you want to use it:. . .

Thank you, but for those who don't want to use Stylish, is there any possibility that the font will be fattened a bit?
(I haven't read or missed whether it's being considered.)


ETA: Since the forum change (don't know if it appeared on the former), a couple of times I've seen at the bottom of the forum front page an entry for "Bing [Bot]" as an online, registered member. The entry isn't clickable. Who/what is it?
Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 9.51.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 9.51.26 AM.png (23.93 KiB) Viewed 218 times

User avatar
SarsenLintel
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:46 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:49 pm Post

scshrugged wrote:Since the forum change (don't know if it appeared on the former), a couple of times I've seen at the bottom of the forum front page an entry for "Bing [Bot]" as an online, registered member. The entry isn't clickable. Who/what is it?


Search engine bot indexing the forums.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingbot

sc
scshrugged
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:55 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:57 pm Post

SarsenLintel wrote:
Search engine bot indexing the forums.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingbot

Thanks. I understand about indexing. I didn't know "it" became a registered member. Must be part of the software package.

ETA: I ventured from my laziness, did a search and found out it was added to phpBB in around 2010. As far as this forum, maybe L&L had it disabled in the last rendition or I flat out missed it. Thanks again.

User avatar
nontroppo
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Airstrip One

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:26 pm Post

Possibly because I'm in China, but every navigtion on this forum and the browser blocks for at least 3 or more seconds before anything else can load while it contacts http://hello.myfonts.net — I assume this is some kind of metric for your WOFF fonts, but I very much feel like just blocking it as my average for every page ends up 4-8 seconds when it used to be instant... Screenshot show an average navigation, with hello.myfonts.net taking 3.2 seconds (TTFB-time to first byte) just frozen (the response is two bytes, it is a tracking handshake request basically).

Request URL:http://hello.myfonts.net/count/314b06
Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 21.15.35.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 21.15.35.png (39.7 KiB) Viewed 148 times